5648 - 5930
FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
(incl. drawings of Haarlem and surroundings from the collection A.M. van den Broek)
= Provenance: the collection of A.M. van den Broek with his collector's mark on verso.
- Laid down; browned and soiled; various closed holes.
= A combination after two engravings by Johannes Sadeler after Maerten de Vos (cf. Hollstein 20 and 23 or Hollstein 28 and 31 (Vos)).
= With later pencil attribution(?) to Cornelis van Haarlem.
- Doubled w. Japanese; some vague foxed spots; flattened vertical fold in centre.
= With an unidenfied circular watermark showing a border filled with circles.
- Slightly foxed; a few sm. stains; margins strengthened on verso.
= With similar sketches on verso. With reference to Bernardo Buontalenti on passepartout.
- Browned (unevenly) and foxed; laid down, closed holes in lower part; lower right corner worn away and repaired with part of another drawing showing a semi-nude sitting man.
= With the collector's marks of R. Lamponi (Lugt 1760, act. 2nd half 19th cent.) and unidentified collector (Lugt 609, sometimes attributed to the Belgian industrialist Charles Henri Marcellis). With a later (plausible) attribution on verso to Anton Domenico Gabbiani. According to Lugt several drawings were bought by Lamponi from the alleged Marcellis.
- Trifle yellowed/ thumbed. = With the collector's mark of W.A. Freund on verso (Lugt 954).
= On paper w. flower watermark. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- Verso traces of former mounting. = In the style of Adriaen van Ostade.
- Some soiling/ foxing. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Cut out image and remargined; trifle thumbed. = On paper with unidentified collector's mark (Lugt 4993).
- Mediocre condition. Laid down on mount (w. some defects in outer margins; some foxing.
- Partly (water)stained. = On paper with "M[?]AB" watermark.
AND another portrait en face, probably of the same young man in armour holding a crown (badly dam., with loss of image. On paper with a horn watermark).
- Laid down on mount. = On laid paper with unidentified watermark.
- A few spots.
= Charmingly naive drawing on laid paper with foolscap watermark. Very rare and early view of Akersloot. Provenance: the collection A.M. van den Broek with his collector's mark on verso. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- Lower corners repaired; somewhat soiled.
= The dark brown lines (mostly indicating leaves) seem to have been added later and perhaps by a different artist. As well as the herdsman and sheep, drawn in metal pen in the background. The drawing reminds us of the works by Johan (de) Lagoor and Cornelis Hendricksz. Vroom. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
- Formerly folded; sl. agetoned; traces of tape along edges from former framing.
= On paper with a post horn watermark.
= Provenance: the collection of A.M. van den Broek with his collector's mark on verso. With an annotation by Van den Broek on verso "Hendrik Pola fecit 1718". It is not clear from where he derived this note.