6089 - 6356 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Some vague foxing.
- Heavily stained.
Anonymous (19th cent., Dutch school). (Barges and ships leaving the harbour). Drawing, watercolour, signature unread and " fec. 1831".
- Unevenly browned and w. offsetting along edges; chafed and worn along the edges; lower left corner repaired.
AND 1 other watercolour attributed to L.G. HACCOU (heavily browned).
- Sl. foxed; verso remains of former mounting in left and upper margin.
- Several closed tears (mainly) in left margin; sl. wormholed; lacks part of image in lower right corner; lower part waterst.
= Provenance: the collection of J. and C. Ulmann. Three unidentifed collector's marks on recto. With attribution in lower right corner and on paper mount.
- Browned; sl. nibbbled by silverfish. = Built in Rotterdam in 1834 and demolished in 1860.
- Old diagonal fold in upper right corner.
- Trifle yellowed/ some fingersoiling.
- Tiny hole in lower right corner.
= Provenance: Christie's Amsterdam sale, April 2005. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
= Probably the Zürcher See, which the artist visited in May 1913.
- A few sm. worn spots. = Charles Tichon is mostly known as poster designer.
= With manuscript caption: "Ruines van de Abdij van Egmond, zoals dezelven zig bevonden op den [in a diff. hand: Decbr.] 1798, na het instorten van de top der nog tot die tijd in zijn geheel staande tooren, en welke de geheele afbraak van dezelven heeft noodzaakelijk gemaakt. A.A.A. Tinne".
Anonymous (19th cent.). (Ruins of castle Brederode). Drawing, pen and ink and watercolour, 19x26 cm., tipped onto mount.
- Upper and lower left corner chipped.
- Closed tear in one leaf; yellowed and w. a few browned spots; lower right corner reattached (intentionally as part of the trompe l'oeil effect?).
= Showing i.a. the title-p. of Het leeven van Sixtus den Vyfden.
= Remarkable trompe l'oeil showing, apart from the portrait (signed "De Bruin Ao 1782") and 2 leaves from an almanac, as a surprising extra illusion: a fly on the central leaf. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- Sl. yellowed; remnants of former mount on verso.
- Tipped onto contemp. thick paper mount.
= On paper showing a part of a large watermark of a knight. With attribution on mount.