843 - 899 INDONESIA. BOOKS, MAPS, PLANS and VIEWS, PRINTS and DRAWINGS
- Sm. number in pen in upper right blank corner; narrow brown stain along vertical fold.
- Yellowed; a few faded white spots in right margin; 2 tiny closed tears in outer blank margins.
- Fine copy.
= Very rare. No copy traced in the trade. Possibly more maps were published. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XVII.
- All maps and title laid down on cloth; title browned and maps yellowed; most maps w. duststains in cloth margins; a few maps w. foxed spots; one map frayed and heavily duststained.
= Rare unbound and unfolded copy. Koeman VI, Stem A1. First edition of one of the most detailed and largest atlases of the former Dutch East Indies, published by command of the Dutch Ministry of Colonies.
= Rare plan of the city of Mataram on the Island of Lombok.
- Without the portrait called for by Scheepers; trifle foxed. a few lvs. waterst. in upper margin.
= Scheepers I, 195; Cat. NHSM II, p.1039; Landwehr VOC, 1547 (also without portrait): "Jan de Marre made a number of voyages to the East over a twenty-three year period for the VOC. His poem praises the VOC and gives historic and topographic details of Batavia and other areas." For the plan of Batavia: Van der Krogt 788. Rare.
- Sl. yellowed along edges.
- One map damp-/ waterstained in margins/ corners (w. some bleeding of red colouring from top and lower edges into top margin of map and into lower inner corner of the first two plates) and w. closed tears on folds; upper hinge sl. waterstained; final blank and final free endpaper waterst. in lower margin (w. bleeding of red from lower edge into margin).
= Bastin/ Brommer 269; Tiele 771; Rouffaer/ Muller p.4.
- Textp. (sl.) foxed; lower hinge broken; frontisp. loosening. Binding sl. rubbed/ bumped.
= Grimshaw spent 27 years in the Territory of Papua as the unofficial publicist of Hubert Murray, Lieutenant-Governor of Papua.
AND 5 others, i.a. W.C. KLEIN (ed.), Nieuw Guinee (Amst., 1935-1937, 2 (of 3) vols., (fold.) maps (incl. 1 loose in rear pocket of vol. 1), num. ills., orig. unif. giltlettered cl., 4to. Lacks vol. 3).
- Owner's stamp on title-p. and pocket; partly sl. foxed/ browned (incl. maps); upper hinge broken. Top of spine sl. dam.
= Rouffaer/ Muller Suppl.II, p.24.
- Some maps sl. foxed; a few lvs. sticking together. Spine sl. discoloured; upper joint splitting. Otherwise fine.
= Rouffaer/ Muller suppl. I, p.18.
= Kleykamp 77; Braches/ Heijbroek p.319ff.
Idem. Zwerftocht door Timor en onderhoorigheden. Ibid., idem, 1925, 175,(1)p., num. ills. and bookdec. by the author, printed in red and black, orig. gilt dec. cl., folio.
= Braches/ Heijbroek p.350ff.
AND 2 others, i.a. A. DE WIT, Java. Feiten en Fantasiën (The Hague, 1905, ills., orig. gilt dec. cl., sm. 4to).
- Plates w. sl. offsetting and pinholes from rusty thumbtacks(?) in margins. Portfolio sl. dam./ splitting and sunned along folding edges.
= Fine views of Java, i.a. (the surroundings of) Tosari, Djokja en Buitenzorg.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown.
= One of 25 DELUXE copies printed on laid paper and bound in gilt vellum by H. NYKAMP, t.e.g., this copy unnumbered. Rouffaer/ Muller, Suppl. IV, p.15. With dedication by Gunning in red pen on title-p.: "Ter herinnering aan Carel Otto's verblijf. Nov. 1934-Juli 1936". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XVII.