5092 - 5387 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Partly mounted onto laid paper; large tear in right (pasted down).
- Sl. yellowed; tipped onto mount.
= With attribution "P. Candid" (= Pieter de Witte, 1548-1628) in pen and ink on mount.
- Both on heavily foxed paper.Numbered "25" and "29" in modern hand in pencil on verso.
= "Friitillaria" with watermark Seven Provinces (Laurentius 789A). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE L.
- Gentionell sl. foxed and the flower w. some loss of paint; Millefolium severely foxed; a few tiny/ sm. marginal imperfections. Numbered "22" and "27" in modern hand in pencil on verso.
= Millefolium on paper with watermark Laurentius 789B and Gentionell on paper with watermark of the Seven Provinces (Laurentius 789A). The word "gentionell" appears in a poem by H. Rintjes from 1690. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE L.
- Both on heavily foxed paper. "Koorn Bloem" with sm. rust(?)hole in paper. Numbered "26" and "46" in modern hand in pencil on verso.
= "Penseeltie" with watermark Seven Provinces (Laurentius 789A). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE L.
- Both drawings (sl.) foxed.
= Both paper with watermark Laurentius 789B. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE L.
- Foxed; formerly laid down.
= With annotation on verso "Lotschild" in pen and ink. With a later attribution to Samuel Bottschild on mount.
AND 3 other sm. drawings, i.a. a view with trees and a classical building in the background (brown ink and pen) and an armorial design (perhaps for a bookplate, pen and brown ink and red chalk).
- Old closed tears; some stains/ dustsoiling; lower right corner cut-off (repaired).
- Sm. closed tear near left edge in upper part; somewhat fingersoiled.
= With contemporary annotation in centre "vos" and "lik (?)".
- Some thin/ restored spots. Trifle foxed/ dustsoiled.
= Attributed on mount to GERARD HOET (1648-1733). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIX.
- Mediocre condition. Doubled; lacks lower left corner (w. loss of image, repaired); closed tears.
= A very delicate drawing. Probably after the print by Bolswert (mirrored). François Langot made an engraving after the engraving by Bolswert in the same direction as the drawing above but with a different figure of Christ. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LI.
AND a similar drawing on vellum showing the Holy Family with Anna and John the baptist as child.
- Tipped onto mount. = Sketch in the style of A. VAN OSTADE and C. BEGA.
- Browned; under passepartout. = On laid paper with Amsterdam coat of arms watermark.
- Sl. foxed; signature erased from lower left corner.
- Some foxing; small hole in left margin. = SEE ILLUSTRATON PLATE LI.
= On paper w. watermark "D & C Blauw" (cf. Church. Verso w. the collector's mark of I.Q van Regteren Altena (L.4617)).
- Browned and sl. soiled.
- Heavily foxed; lower left corner dam.; verso traces of former mounting.
AND 7 other drawings.
- Waterstain in middle of upper margin; wrinkled; small tear affecting image and weak spot in lower right margin. Verso w. brown paper tape along outer margins.