5839 - 6016 FINE ARTS - FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY. MAPS, PLANS and VIEWS
- Two sm. (closed) tears in margins just affecting the image; right edge partly cut just outside the borderline.
ADDED: 1 steelengr. map of Austria by H. LEUTEMANN (Leipsic, 1843).
- Trifle frayed/ dustsoiled.
= "Pour l'usage de ceux qui sont curieux de voir les Marches, Entreprises &c. des Armées en ce pais la tant par Mer que par terre" (title-cartouche); the map indeed shows some "places avec Garnison" and "places de Battaille", the last indicated by two crossed swords and the year of the corresponding (sea) battles, fought between 1702 and 1720.
- Doubled; waterst. (mainly) in blank margins.
= Koeman IV, p.172, 61. Rare chart. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXL.
AND 1 other handcol. chart of the Indian Ocean.
- Partly dampstained in lower margin (affecting caption, not affecting the plate); blank margins sl. foxed; top margin sl. frayed and sl. creased.
= Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLI.
- Vaguely waterst.
= Chart showing the route of the expedition searching for J.-F. de la Pérouse, who had gone missing in 1788. Among the scientists on the expedition was botanist J.J.H. de Labillardière.
- Sl. yellowed.
- Both sl. waterst. (mainly) in blank margins. = Rare charts.
ADDED: 1 other engr. chart "A large Chart describeing[sic] the Sands Shoales Depth of water and Anchorage on the East Coast of Scottland ats[sic] North Britain".
- Browned; some damages along middle fold.
- Trifle soiled near lower edge.
- Margins strengthened on verso; closed tears in right and lower margin (occas. just affecting the image); 2 closed holes near right edge.
ADDED 2 others, (damaged) handcol. maps of Tirol and Portugal.
- Mounted on board; sl. yellowed. = Koeman III, 174 (35).
- Some sm. defects; mostly fine.
= Comprises i.a. "Mediterranean Adriatic Sea. Venice"; "Mediterranean Sea. Italy Gulf of Genoa. Punta Invrea to Nervi"; "Mediterranean - Ionian Sea. West Coast of Morea (...)" and "Mediterranean South Coast of Italy. Policastro to Cape santa Maria di Leuca (...)".
ADDED: 1 similar map publ. by the same showing coastlines in Greece.
- Sm. dam. in upper right corner; central vertical fold (as publ.).
= Impressive double-p. engraving from A.N. de la Houssaie, Histoire du gouvernement de Venise (1705), showing the meeting of the Maggior Consiglio, or Council, of the Republic of Venice.
= I.a. Beijing, Budapest, Chicago, Edinburgh, Jerusalem, London, Moscow, New York, St. Petersburg, Tokyo, Venice and Vienna.
- A few tears in upper margin affecting the title; some foxing in blank margins/
AND 1 other map, of Syria.
- Trifle foxed; vague brown stains in centre; tipped onto mount; part of (image) outer right margin restored.
= Rare chart.
AND a part of another sea chart: "A new Reducted Sea Map of the whole North-Sea".