4919 - 5415 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Two vertical folds; (finger)soiled; publisher's address partly traced with pen and ink; on verso glue stains from former mount.
= Bartsch 17. First state. Very rare. The copper plate was later reworked and used for the title print of the series Imagines Farnesiani Cubiculi Cum ipsarum monocromatibus et ornamentis by Pietro Aquila (depicting the frescoes by Annibale Carracci) (1665-1692). On laid paper with an unidentified coat of arms watermark. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
= New Hollstein 10, 4th state of 5.
- Some foxing.
= Bartsch 41; Hollstein 17. On laid paper with watermark showing a king or the holy Virgin in robes holding a staff.
- On paper with watermark of a High Crown (1480-1525). Sl. foxed. Without text on verso.
= Hollstein 710, 1 of 29 woodcuts in "Ulrich Pinder, Speculum Passionis domini nostri ihesu christi. In quo relucet hec omnia ... manifestissime coprobat ..., Nuremberg: [Friedrich Peypus for Ulrich Pinder], 1507 (4)."
Haid, J.J. (1704-1767). (Seated pair in an inn). Mezzotint, 16x20 cm., "I.I. Haid et filius excud. A.V." and numbered "N.ro 6" below the image. - AND ±85 miscellaneous others, i.a. 3 engr. views from the series "De twaalf maanden" by I.J. DE WIT after J. CATS ("January", "February" and "Juny"); 2 engr. on patriot Hendrik D. Hooft, 1 orangist letterpress item and 1 interesting small caricature drawing (pen and ink).
- Left and right margin trimmed to the image, upper and lower margin a few mm. outside the image.
= Hollstein 985.
Idem. (Portrait of the Dauphin of France). Mezzotint, 20x14,1 cm., w. the address of "H. Visjaager Exc".
- Sl. browned; pinholes in corners
= Very rare. Hendrick Visjager is known as a publisher of mezzotints in the years 1783 and 1784. Not in Hollstein.
AND 2 other mezzotint portraits by P. SCHENK: Nicolaas Witsen (lacks sm. portion in lower left corner. Hollstein 973, 2nd state of 2) and Pieter de Frans (Hollstein 590, 2nd state of 3).
- Partly yellowed/ browned. Disbound. = Cf. Nissen, ZBI 3661.
= From the series representing the Five Senses. Hollstein 120, 1st state of 3.
- Ample margins. Sl. browned. = Vomm, D1845:2, 1st state (of 2).
- Good margins; foxed. From the collection of William Karrmann, w. his pencil annotations on verso and "Aetzdruck" below image.
= Vomm, D 1839:2, before (?) 1st state (of 4). Our copy before the white parts of the cabbage leaves in the foreground left etched-in; before the white portions of the landscpae around the doe and to the left of the stag mostly etched-in; before the two white spots in the lower right corner were filled in and the corner squared. Vomm mentions a copy in Karlsruhe, Staatl. Kunsthalle, Kupferstichtkabinett (Inv.1950-197) w. same pencil addition "Aetzdruck" below image. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- Ample margins; trifle foxed. From the collection of William Karrmann, w. his pencil annotations on verso.
= Vomm, D 1839:2, 1st state (of 4).
- Sl. foxed, affecting image.
- Blank margins trimmed, sl. affecting signature; sl. yellowed.
AND 1 an unsigned drypoint by the same, Fulham.
- Sl. yellowed/ vaguely foxed.