4919 - 5415 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Folds as published; fine.
= Fine large interior of the Treves zaal with engraved legend below. F.M. 2989-H; Hollstein 4; Orn. Cat. II 100095. Commemorating the opening of the new audience hall of the Dutch States-General.
- Three chips from outer blank margin. Good impression with ample margins.
= Not in Le Blanc. Nice print showing a gentleman holding a jester head on a stick, playing with a monkey in woman's clothing (pendant of a print showing a woman with a monkey in men's clothing).
Jazet, J.P.M. (1788-1871). "La bonne nouvelle." "La lettre de recommandation". Two aquatints (the 2nd after D. WILKIE), 35,5x24,5 and 35,5x26,7 cm., engr. captions below image, with address of Jazet, Paris, under passepartout.
- Both prints sl. stained, mainly in blank margin.
Haid, J.J. (1704-1767) (publ.). "La Colombe Chérie". Mezzotint, 22,2x15,9 cm., Augsb., J.J. Haid et fils, ±1750, under passepartout.
- Folded twice.
AND 5 others, all portraits, i.a. a portrait of an elegant woman by LE BEAU after N. TANCHE.
= Engel 8, with sizes 21x12 cm. With collectors' stamps of Philip J. and Van Eekelen on verso.
AND 1 other etching by the same, Avond (Engel 18).
= Wellcome II, p.401; Choulant, Anat. Abb. p.95; Russell, British Anatomy 213; Timmer p.84, no.28. The beautiful and artistically satisfying plates by De Lairesse were originally used for Govert Bidloo's Anatomia humani corporis and were blatantly plagiarized by Cowper, to Bidloo's great displeasure.
- Sl. foxed in outer margin.
= From the series Galleria Giustiniana del Marchese Vincenzo Giustiniani (complete in 322 prints after the sculpture collection of Vicenzo Giustiniani), published in 1636/ 1637.
AND 15 others from the same series, i.a. by C. MELLAN, T. MATHAM and C. BLOEMAERT.
- Second print w. brown stain near centre. = From the series of 6 Gesigten en perspectiven (1707). Rare.
AND 15 others, i.a. 3 views of Swedish buildings by WILLEM SWIDDE and ornamental prints and garden views by P. SCHENK, A. GENOELS and I. DE MOUCHERON.
- Both prints sl. foxed and creased; captions browned.
- Sl. foxed. = Bartsch 61, 62 and 64; cf. Bestarelli 72-79. From a series of 6.
AND 4 others after A. CARRACCI, i.a. by C. CESIO.
- Trimmed to just within the platemark; rubbed area along lower margin (due to erasing of address) and the number almost trimmed off; collector's stamp vaguely shining through; tiny speck.
= Hollstein 23, 2nd state (of 2). With the collector's stamp of F. Schindler (d. ±1913) on verso (Lugt 2351), and w. the very small ms. collector's mark "WE" of William Esdaille in thin brown pen to the lower left of the artist's monogram on recto (Lugt 2617) and "1810 P183 N 110" in the same pen on verso. Very rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVII.
- Creases; upper right corner lacks sm. portion; glue stains in corners. = Bartsch 1, 2nd state of 2.
AND 7 others, i.a. by G.F. GRIMALDI, Penitent Mary Magdalen (Etching. Various defects. Bartsch 43, 1st state, before letters).
- Lacks Aquarius and Cancer; Gemini w. closed tear; trifle browned.
= Rare. Each scene showing a typical activity, i.a. harvesting, sowing, winemaking.
= Half-page illustration on a leaf from JUSTINIAN, Digestum (...) (Lyon, 1552). According to Nagler, Monogrammisten, perhaps by François Fradin, printer and engraver. Cf. Nagler, Monogrammisten II, no. 1826.
AND another woodcut showing the same scene from a different work. - AND 7 others, all showing kings as lawmaker or judge, i.a. depicting the presentation of the Peinliche Gerichtsordnung Kaiser Karls V. of 1532 (Frankf., 1571); a man pleading for a king, on a leaf from T. LIVIUS, Grans decades (Paris, Pierre Gaudoul, 1530) and cut out woodcuts by/ after i.a. JOST AMMAN, J. BREU and H. SCHÄUFELEIN.
- All (but 2) in fine condition. 'January' w. grey stains mainly in margins but also affecting the image, 'july' sl. soiled in margins and upper right corner of image.
- Remargined. Fine impression. = Le Blanc 2.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVIII.
= Probably from Gazette des Beaux-Arts, 1907.
= Printed after drilling holes at the top and bottom of the plate.
- Lacks 6 engravings. = Hollstein 95-103; F.M. 1793, 3, 4 (handcol.), 5 and 7-13.