4506 - 4625 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
- Occas. waterstained towards the end; some (restored and unobtrusive) wormholes, also affecting images; orig. wr. worn; "Kanonkyo Riyaku Monogatari" in felt-tip pen on spine.
AND 2 other ehon: an unidentified 18th cent.(?) book with 2 single-p. and 1 double-p. woodcut ills. showing hunting scenes, and a 20th cent. artists' manual w. num. col. woodcut ills.
- Some scratches and foxing; outer margins laid down under passepartout.
= Play unidentified. Osaka School, possibly by Hirosada.
AND 5 other drawings.
= Attributed to Rai Sanyo (1781-1832) by the previous owner.
- Trifle foxed; waterst. in lower left corner.
AND 2 col. Japanese woodcuts showing birds near plants (both ±16x38).
- Album backing. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXVIII.
- Sl. creased and yellowed; pieces of tape in corners verso (shining through on recto).
- One wormhole in image; chipped in upper margin.
AND 1 other anonymous col. woodcut: (A boat on a river) (col. woodcut view, 13,5x22 cm., with 3 attached leaves w. num. tinted woodcut flags and mon, total length 13,5x122 cm. Sl. worn on folds). - AND approx. 35 woodcut ills., taken from various late 18th-19th cent. ehon, mostly single-page all but 2 uncoloured. - ADDED: 2 unif. vols. of an unidentified illustrated ehon (prob. a schoolbook. Yellowed; wrappers browned).
- Mounted onto board.
- Not examined outside frame. Creased fold in left half; a few wormholes (partly restored); some soiling.
= Important Osaka artist.
Kuniyasu, Utagawa (1794-1832).The actor Ichikawa Omezô standing in a field with a sword across his shoulder. Col. woodcut oban, signed Kuniyasu ga, publisher Yamaguchi-ya Tôbei, no date, kiwame censor seal, unif. framed.
= All numb. in upper blank margin: 10; 13 and 38/ 39. From the series: Senshu no hana (A thousand kinds of flowers).
= State without decorative border. From the series Kachu-gafu.
Suian Hirafuku (1844-1890). (A Sea Bream). Col. woodcut shikishi, signed Suian, w. seal. - AND 3 others: two fan prints and a col. woodcut ôban by SHOTEI TAKAHASHI showing three puppies playing with a camelia (browned).
- Some cards sl. smudged. Wooden box dam.
- Sl. yellowed.
AND a woodcut ôban triptych by TOSHIHIDE showing boys and an old man watching a cock fight.