2342 - 2933 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Apart from the following defects a fine copy: lacks 2 plates; sm. hole in 1 map; 2nd frontisp. sl. frayed (prob. paperflaws).
= Howgego L43; Sabin 38415 (wrong collation of the plates); Alden/ Landis 725/121; Cat. NHSM I, p.268; Tiele 623; Von Hünersdorff/ Hasenkamp p.836; Mueller, Kakao p.29. "Labat went to the West Indies as a Dominican Missionary, and gives in this, his most famous work, details of all the islands he visited, and notably of Martinique and Guadeloupe. He speaks also of many of the smaller islands; of some of them this is the only early information we possess. He gives accounts of the cultivation of tobacco, sugar, indigo, etc., and many anecdotes of the inhabitants." (Cox II, p.235). Also on slavery, flora and fauna. The first Dutch edition with the same plates as the first French 8vo ed., published Paris 1722. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- (Sl.) foxed; paper library tickets on upper pastedown and library stamp on first blanks. Sm. paper ticket on foot of spines.= Von Hünersdorff/ Hasenkamp p.864: "German edition with annotations by the translator who has added a supplement, and on the nature of colonial produce from the West Indies and on their surrogates."
- Binding sl. rubbed. Nevertheless a fine copy. = Rare.
- Both vols. partly sl. waterstained; new endpapers; sl. foxed; a few lvs. w. (large) tears into text; vol. II frontisp. restored w. paper on verso. Upper joints split(ting), vol. I frontcover loose(ning); lower joints starting to split; covers rubbed.
= Cats STCN 8; Mus. Catsianum 6.
- One quire loosening; owner's stamp and entry on second blank; upper hinge weak; sl. soiled/ (water)stained; pastedowns loosening; two lvs. lower outer corner torn off, sl. affecting text. Vellum sl. soiled.
= Museum Catsianum 126; Cats STCN 60.
- Lvs. occas. (sl.) soiled; a few quires w. waterstain in outer blank corner. = STCN Cats 140.
AND 1 other by the same, bound unif. w. the above: 's Werelts Begin, Midden, Eynde, besloten in den Trou-ring, met den proef-steen (Dordr., n.d. Lacks lvs., last lvs. w. restorations).
= Mus. Cats. 189.
AND 1 other.
- Pagination erratic but complete; pastedowns loosening; endpapers sl. browned; occas. sl. (finger)soiled. Letterpiece partly worn away; spine-ends sl. dam.; corners showing.
= On the first title: Landwehr 129; Mus. Catsianum 48.
AND a poor/ incomplete copy of IDEM, Huuwelyk, Dat is, Het gantsche beleyt des Echten Staats (1731).
- Bookplate of G. Jaspers on upper pastedown; two library stamps and 1 paper ticket on first free endpaper; bookblock sl. shaken.
= De Backer/ Sommervogel IV, p.708-709, nr. 3; BCNI 11377.
- First ±20 lvs. marginally waterst.; sl. yellowed; upper pastedown sl. dam. Vellum torn/ sm. hole on spine/ tear in lower part backcover, corners showing.
AND 1 other: BIBLIA. DAT IS DE GANTSCHE H. SCHRIFTURE (Amst., n.d., engr. title, contemp. (dried) hmor).
= Vol. 3 of "Volledige beschrijving van alle konsten, ambachten, handwerken (...)".
- First part lacks title-p. and leaf A2; hinges broken; lacks upper pastedown; waterstained in outer upper corner (mostly in blank margin); first 2 lvs. frayed. Vellum soiled, darkened and wrinkled.
= Buisman 353-355. Very rare.
- Lacks 4 plates; frontisp. loose; sl. browned; partly unobtrusively wormholed in outer blank margin, not affecting text;
= Arents 8; Scheepers II, 727 (Ter.) and cf. Rius 804, Buisman 365, Muller 74 and De Vries 68 (all mentioning J. Graal and J.W. van Heekeren as publishers).
- Apart from occas. sl. foxing and sm. specks contents fine; final blank repaired tears; extensive owner's entries on first blank. Spine-ends restored; covers and letterpiece on spine scratched and chafed.
= Folio-size LARGE PAPER COPY. Rius I, p.806; Cohen/ De Ricci p.216: "Superbes illustrations; livre très recherché". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- A few leaves sl. dampstained in lower blank margin; occas. sl. foxed. Binding rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities.
= Rius I, p.806; Cohen/ De Ricci 216: "Superbes illustrations; livre très recherché". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- One double-p. view (Kinningfoe) with a few small inkstains; one fold. plate (w. reproduction of Chinese illustrations) browned and sl. frayed along one fold. Binding professionally restored. A (very) fine copy.
= Landwehr, VOC 544; Tiele 304; Cordier, Sinica 2348 and 27; Lipperheide Le4; Lust 507. The first edition, describing the 2nd and 3rd embassies of the VOC to China, with accounts of the events on Formosa and a description of China. The second part in second issue with the 4 folding plates with reproductions of Chinese illustrations, always lacking in the first issue. The plates and illustrations show a great variety of (large) town views, architecture, customs, natural history etc. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- Lacks 1 plate (depicting trees) in the second part; blank outer margin of the frontisp. renewed and a repaired tear; index leaves and title-p. of second part browned.
= Landwehr, VOC 544; Tiele 304; Cordier, Sinica 2348 and 27; Lipperheide Le4; Lust 507. The first edition, describing the 2nd and 3rd embassies of the VOC to China, with accounts of the events on Formosa and a description of China. The second part in second issue with the 4 folding plates with reproductions of Chinese illustrations, always lacking in the first issue. The plates and illustrations show a great variety of (large) town views, architecture, customs, natural history etc. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- Most vols. upper hinge sl. widening; occas. some underlining in purple pencil; part II-III and V partly waterstained in lower/ upper inner corner, not affecting text; vol. II and IV bookplate on upper pastedown; part II sm. hole and tear in blank margin of title-p. All vols. vellum sl. soiled; occas. sl. dam. along extremities.
= Index bound before Tomus Primus. Cf. Greasse II,p.151.
- Ident. bookplate on upper and lower pastedowns (2x only remnants); a few lvs. trifle foxed, sl. worse on 3 plates; 1 plate loose; vol. VII partly w. tiny waterstain in lower blank margin, not touching text. Covers occas. trifle rubbed. Nevertheless a fine, large paper copy in an attractive binding.
= Cohen/ De Ricci p.192; Lewine p.86.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; occas. trifle foxed; sm. annot. on first free endpaper; upper hinge weak; annots. on final blank and lower pastedown. Vellum sl. soiled.
= Geerebaert 105, 2a cf. De Rynck/ Welkenhuysen, pp.154.
Bilderdijk, W. Epidius, Koning van Thebe; Treurspel (...). Amst., A. van der Kroe, 1779, 1st ed., (4),156p., engr. title-vignette, contemp. plain boards. - BOUND BEFORE: Brief van den navolger van Sofokles Edipus. Ibid., idem, 1780, 23,(1)p.
- Waterstained. Lacks large portion of backstrip; corners bumped.