2258 - 3065 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Engr. title and full-p. ill. remargined (cut a little short in left margin); some lvs. paper sl. weak in margins (especially lower and upper part); sl. yellowed; bookplate on upper pastedown.
= The New Hollstein, The Collaert Dynasty VII, 1726-1742; Funck, p.271; BCNI 4349.
- Page 27-28 partly torn out w. loss of text; bookplate on upper pastedown; sm. ticket in upper left corner recto and contemp. owner's entry on verso first free endpaper; later owner's entry on blank leaf. Two upper corners of covers dam.; dam. at foot of spine.
= BCNI 7615. Very rare.
- Pastedowns loose(ning); vague contemp. owner's entry on first title-p.; bookblock partly loosening; sl. waterst. in inner margin throughout. Tiny cut in top of spine.
- All vols. contemp. owner's entry/ annot. on title-p.; occas. yellowed. Bindings rubbed/ worn, sl. dam. and wormholed.
= PMM 155b; Ebert 1792; Zischka p.7: "Das Werk ist eine Kritik historischer und philosophischer Grundsätze im Geiste der frühen Aufklärung. Die kritischen Anmerkungen überwuchern den eigentlichen Text."
- Owner's stamp and sm. old annots. on first free endpaper; pastedowns loose; trifle soiled; one quire loosening. Bookblock loosening; vellum trifle soiled.
- Crossed out owner's dedication on verso title-p.; lower pastedown sl. dam. Letterpiece partly worn away; corners starting to show; spine sl. cracked.
Meditationes pro Exercitiis spiritualibus octi dierum ad usum cleri dioecesis Mechliniensis quibus praefigitur breve apostolicum quo SS. D. N. Clemens XII. Ibid., idem, 1736, 176p., contemp. calf w. gilt spine.
- Owner's entry on first free endpaper; title-p. sl. browned; trifle foxed. Covers w. a few (water)stains; joints starting to split.
AND 1 other: M. BECANUS, Analogia Veteris ac Novi Testamenti in qua primum Status Veteris, deinde consensus, proportio & conspiratio, illius cum Novo explicatur (ibid., 1794, contemp. calf w. gilt spine).
- Upper hinge widening; pastedowns loosening; sl. foxed/ browned; occas. sl. waterstained; some lvs. in final part mispaginated. Vellum trifle soiled.
= The first authorised and enlarged edition of this classic study on/ against witchcraft; the book was considered heretical (Knuttel, Verboden boeken 53). All parts warranted by the author.
- Parts 1 and 2 with title-p. of the first edition (dated 1691 and warranted by the author); 2 prelim. lvs. "Toe-eigen-brief" in part 1 bound between p. 130/131; trifle yellowed. Otherwise an attractively bound fine copy.
= Van der Linde 23. The rare 2nd Dutch edition. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- A few quires at the end wormholed in upper outer corner, sl. affecting letters; engr. title sl. creased in outer blank margin; lower hinge split; lacks pastedowns. Lower outer corner of backcover sl. dam.
= Contemp. owner's entry "Schoorel" on title-p.; De Backer/ Sommervogel I, p.1222, no.29. The first edition was published in 1611.
Rho, G. In Passionem Domini cogitationes variae. Antw., Ex Officina Plantiniana Balthasar Moretus, 1656, (12),608p., engr. printer's mark on title-p., contemp. vellum, sm. 4to.
- Two libr. stamps on title-p.; occas. neat old underlining in pen and ink; occas. vaguely waterstained; pastedowns loose.
- Top of spine dam.; leather over wooden covers partly dam. along extremities.
AND 2 others: a MISSALE ROMANUM (Antwerp, 1738. blindtstamped calf w. brass clasps and catches) and a large missal (?) (±1754. gilt mor., richly dec. gilt edges. Lacks at least title-p. and a few lvs.).
- Partly waterst. (mainly) in margins, sometimes affecting the text; lower hinge sl. weak. Vellum (sl.) soiled; turn-ins lacking at fore edge and partly loose; lower pastedown loose.
= Rare. The second work also contains (without separate titlepage): ''Vollständige Psalmen und Geistliche Lieder D. Martini Lutheri und anderer Gottseligen Lehrer und Männer'' and ''Catechismus, Oder kurtzer Underricht Christlicher Lehr, wie der in Kirchen und Schulen der Churfurstlichen Pfaltz getrieben wird: Samt den Kirchen-cerimonien und Gebäten''.
- New endpapers; marginal waterstains throughout, sometimes sl. affecting text; a few sm. wormholes at inner margin. Sl. rubbed along extremities; spine sl. cracked.
- Later endpapers; title-p. creased and (water)stained; sl. yellowed. Spine-ends and corners restored w. leather; covers lack ties.
= Voet 689; Adams B1050.
- Vol. I only; partly (heavily) waterstained; title-p. and 1 plate torn and (partly) restored w. tape on verso; partly sl. foxed/ browned; upper hinge broken; new endpapers. Spine and corners restored w. leather; calf sl. cracking.
- Library stamp on title. Backstrip lacks portions at spine-end; upper joint split(ting); covers sl. chafed; corners bumped. Internally fine.
BOUND WITH: Sacrorum bibliorum pars altera complectens prophetas cum libris Machabaeorum et Novum Testamentum. Ibid., idem, 1740, 576p. - AND WITH: Lubin, A. Tabulae Sacrae Geographica sive Notitia antiqua, medij temporis, & nova, nominum utriusque Testamenti ad Geographiam pertinentium. Ibid., idem, 1740, 74p. Faber, M. Opus concionum tripartitum. Antw., H. and J. Verdussen, 1663, 4th corr. ed., vol. 3 (of 3) only, (16),789,(33),247p., woodcut printers marks, contemp. calf w. richly gilt spine, folio.
- Annot. of restoration (a few lvs. reattached; new endpapers, spine-ends restored w. leather) dated 1993 on last free endpaper; contemp. dedication on first free endpaper; upper hinge weak. Covers sl. chafed.
- Vague library stamps on second blank and title-p.; portion of htitle cut off in upper outer corner; some occas. foxing; a few lvs. browned. Joints splitting; top of spine sl. dam.; a few (water)stains on covers; outer lower corner backcover sl. dam.
Concordantiae Bibliorum. Iuxta exemplar Vulgatae editionis Sixti V., Pontificis Max. iussu recogn. et Clementis VIII. autoritate editum. Cologne, J. Friesenhagen, 1663, without pagination, engr. title, contemp. calf w. gilt spine, folio.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; library stamp, paper ticket and owner's entry on title-p.; (severely) foxed; final few lvs. w. (marginal) waterstains. Spine restored; lacks portions of old leather at spine-ends; rebound with use of old leather; covers w. some rubbed spots.
- Partly wormholed/ tunneled; endpapers and first blank loose. Overlapping part of vellum creased.
- Lacks 4th leaf w. the six ills. of Creation (supplied in facs. on later laid paper); map of the Holy Land formerly torn in half but repaired on verso; first quire strengthened in inner margin w. paper; upper hinge broken; partly (sl.) waterstained in upper outer corner and inner margin, otherwise contents rather fine. Binding professionally restored w. use of leather; upper joint starting.
= One of the rarest Dutch 16th cent. bibles. Poortman I, p.92ff; Darlow/ Moule 3282 note and 3285 (ed. 1542 w. the same collation as our ed.); BCNI 1238; Nijhoff/ Kronenberg 403. The title-pages contain a compartment with Martin de Keyser's initials, but Poortman states that the woodcuts in the New Testament are not by De Keyser but by an anonymous artist. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- First title-p. loose; first few quires and final leaf loosening; final part w. wormhole in outer blank margin; bookblock shaken; woodcuts of God smudged w. brown ink; sl. (water)stained and (finger)soiled. Lacks clasps; sl. worn along extremities.
= Le Long p.528; Belgica Typographica 462. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- First 2 quires loosening; bookplate and owner's entry on upper pastedown; sl. thumbed and trifle soiled but otherwise contents in very good condition; verso leaf CLXVI (2nd part) w. extensive contemp. ms. annot. Leather on frontcover partly torn off; backstrip worn; corners showing.
= Belgica Typographica 5202 and 5203; Poortman I, p.92f. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.