1822 - 1868 INDONESIA. BOOKS, MAPS, PLANS, PRINTS, DRAWINGS, PHOTOGRAPHS
- Lacks the map and 4 plates (no.11, 32, 50 and 65); occas. foxed (mainly) in blank margins. Portfolio sl. worn along extremities/ sl. faded/ trifle soiled.
= Contains nice photographs by C.J. Kleingrothe, active 1885-1925 (Toekang Potret p.183).
- A few photographs sl. foxed/ soiled. Covers sl. rubbed/ (water)stained.
= Photographs of i.a. buildings, tea factory, the kina harvest, views of the tea fields and pay day. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LI.
- Album lacks backstrip; covers almost loose, a few (sm.) cracks and scratches. Photographs fine.
= Rich album with i.a. the following scenes (mostly identified in pencil): "Langs den weg naar Tjipanas"; "Buitenzorg" (15 views); "Paleis Buitenzorg" (4 views); "Plantentuin Buitenzorg" (3 views); "Spoor Bandoeng-Garoet"; "aanleg waterleiding"; (Streetscene); "Sawahs"; "Station Buitenzorg"; "Preanger" (4 views); "Tjipanas"; "Garoet" (2 views); "Station Buitenzorg"; "Bad Buitenzorg"; "Regents-huis Garoet"; "Papandajan"; "Java" (2 views). Also contains a few (partly loosely inserted) albumen prints of Colombo and surroundings, i.a. a fine portrait by SKEEN & CO of a Tamil girl (sl. creased in margins) and several street scenes in Colombo.
- Blank margins of plates (badly) foxed, mostly not affecting the image; sm. portion of outer upper corner of title torn off. Portfolio (badly) dam., mainly at backstrip.
- Textlvs. sl. browned. Portfolio sl. (finger)soiled, w. a few rubbed spots; spine-ends sl. worn; dam. spot at upper boardedge frontcover.
= Contains the etchings: 1. De Boroboedoer; 2. Een opgang; 3. De hoofdstoepa; 4. Een Boeddha; 5. Op het hoogste terras; 6. Het heiligdom.
= Jacob Eduard van Heemskerck van Beest was originally a naval officer between 1842 and 1853. This drawing was probably made during a voyage to the Dutch East Indies.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIII.
Idem. (The same view). Drawing, watercolour, pen and ink, 23,2x37 cm.
= Probably a later more finely executed version by the artist. With annotation in blue pencil on verso "Sumatra. Chineesche Jonk op de reede van Padang".
= On verso "Sumatra Huis van een rijken Maleier in de binnenlanden".
= Annotation on verso in blue pencil: "Sumatra. De rivier van Padang van de landzijde". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIII.
= With caption on verso in blue pencil: "Sumatra Kloof tusschen de bergen Singalen en Fendikië". Singalen is perhaps the mountain volcano Singgalang, which is relatively close to Padang.
- A few spots in the sky. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIV.
- Very fine copy. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LII.
- Pieces of paper tape in blank corners. Title and "II Sioeara, Badoeng" in modern pencil on (simple) paper passepartout.
= Provenance: the Bateson and Mead Collection. Verso w. sm. annot. in Balinese script, dated "27/3/37", numb. "101'" and (within in a circle) "184" in pencil.
- Margins laid down on mount w. tape/ (removed) pinpoints; waterst. in lower margin. = Impressive drawing.
- Foxed; sl. yellowed.
- Without plates no. 51-170. Occas. sl. frayed in margins. Fold. flaps of bindings partly loose(ning) and portfolio partly soiled/ worn.
= The images on the plates measuring 47x62 cm. Subjects incl. cultures, scenery, colonial scenes, natives and monumental buildings. Haks/ Maris p.70: "Jean Demmeni (1877-1939). Well known photographer and amateur painter and draughtsman, who travelled all over the Archipelago. His extensive photographic achievement is an important documentation of Indonesia in the first quarter of this century".