1028 - 1496 FINE PRINTING AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS (including CARICATURE)
- First and last lvs. a few foxed spots. Backstrip sunned; lettering on frontcover sl. defective. Good copy.
- Halftitle and last blank partly browned from offsetting of wr. Wrappers loose and sl. yellowed/ foxed/ dustsoiled; backstrip worn and sl. dam. at spine-ends.
= One of 35 copies signed by the author, with all woodcuts handcoloured.
- Lacks issue 38; all (sl.) foxed/ frayed; occas. frontcover loose.
= With i.a. no.28 by A. WILLETTE, no.30 by KEES VAN DONGEN and no.37 by A. GUILLAUME (with several nice fold-outs) and many lithographs by T.A. STEINLEN.
ADDED: 16 duplicates and ±65 loose lvs. from dif. issues.
- Binding sl. worn; backcover partly discoloured.
Les Maîtres Humoristes. Caran d'Ache. Ibid., F. Juven, 1907, no pagination, num. ills., orig. wr.
- Backstrip worn/ sl. dam.
AND 3 others: SIMPLICISSIMUS-ALBUM, No.1 and 2 (Munich, n.d., 2 vols., col. ills., orig. unif. wr., folio) and LE RIRE. Numéro spécial sur le Tour de France (Paris, 1934, (col.) ills., orig. wr., 4to).
- Partly sl. worn. = Notoriously provocative and controversial periodical.
- Four lvs. loose(ning); sl. dogeared. Wrapper trifle (finger)soiled. = Rare.Robinson, W. Heath. Some 'Frightful' War Pictures. London, Complete Press, 1916, 23 lvs. w. full-p. caricatural plates, num. ills., endpapers and orig. dec. wr. by W. HEATH ROBINSON, sm. folio.
- Wrapper lacks 3 sm. pieces; frontcover partly discoloured.
- Partly browned/ foxed. Some bindings rubbed/ stained. = Sold as a periodical, not subject to return.
Bijvoegsel van de Amsterdammer. Year 1907-1912 . Amst., 1907-1912, over 300 lithographs by J. BRAAKENSIEK, in 2 vols., contemp. unif. giltlettered hcl., folio. - AND 3 others on/ by ALBERT HAHN Sr.: Land van Rembrandt (1906); Ben ik dat? (1908); Prenten van Albert Hahn Sr. (1928).
- Each vol. trifle foxed; second vol. sl. (water)stained in upper blank margin. Covers w. a few (sm.) (water)stains; second vol. spine sl. darkened. A fine set.
- Wr. some soiling/ trifle frayed; first issue wr. some marginal creases.
- Sl. foxed; traces of bookplate on verso frontwr. Backstrip worn/ sl. dam.; joints splitting.
= Caricatures of well-known Russian theatre personalities, i.a. V. Meyerhold, A. Golovin, N. Baliev, N. Yevreinov and E. Roschina-Insarova.
- Frayed, yellowed and fingersoiled; one issue w. pencil scratching.
AND 1 issue of KROKODIL (no.27. Moscow, 1926).
- (Occas. heavily) foxed; a few lvs. loose(ning). Bindings sl. worn and rubbed; corners bumped.
= Comprises: Histoire de monsieur Crépin (2 copies in 2 diff. bindings); Le docteur Festus (1st lvs. torn/ dam.); Histoire de M. Cryptogame; Mr. Vieuxboix; Histoire d'Albert. Par Simon de Nantua; Histoire de Mr. Jabot; Monsieur Pencil (bookblock loose).
- A few sm. stains on title. A few stains on cardboard box.
= Contains contributions by Kees Fens, Simon Carmiggelt (also under pseud. Karel Bralleput), Peter van Straaten and Peter Vos. Contains a facsimile text (2p.) by Carmiggelt and "Rapport behorende bij de brief van de jury voor de Staatsprijs voor Letterkunde P.C. Hooftprijs 1974". Rare.
- Joints trifle rubbed; leather partly sl. faded. Bookplate on upper pastedown. Otherwise fine.
= One of 50 numbered copies printed on "petit papier du Japon". Monod 5204; Carteret V, p.88. Beautifully illustrated with fine jugendstil borders, incorporating Chinese figures, buildings, plants and animals.
- Owner's stamp on second blank; orig. wr. sl. browned. Corners of slipcase sl. rubbed.
= Copy of the DELUXE edition printed on Japon Impérial and with two extra suites of the plates (1x coloured/ 1x uncoloured).
Mauclair, C. Le charme de Bruges. Ibid., idem, 1929, 128,(6)p., 15 col. ills. (3x full-p.) by H. CASSIERS, printed in 600 numb. copies (500), contemp. gilt hmor., orig. wr. pres. (unif. w. the above).
- Owner's stamp and modern owner's entry on first free endpaper; modern owner's entry on second blank; strengthened at spine; orig. wr. browned w. a few rubbed spots.
= Cf. Monod 7859 (ed. 1928).
- Fine copy. = One of 50 copies on handmade Covenant. Arents 31. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXIV.
- Sm. owner's entry on first free endpaper; trifle foxed/ (finger)soiled; hinges widening. Covers sl. soiled; spine-ends worn; corners showing.
= Remarkable plates by youngsters (all girls, "as it happened, there are no boys represented") aged 14-16, who attended professor Franz Čižek's juvenile art class in Vienna. Cf. Hughey 56 (our copy a sl. variant edition): "Both in his letter [to The Times of London] and in this book's introduction, Dulac stressed the approach Professor Cizek used that resulted in such astonishing creativity - an approach of experimentation and laissez-faire towards the students. Particularly, Dulac noted the use of paper cut-outs to produce a composition - a technique that probably caught his eye as being not to far removed from his own method of using separate figures drawn on tracing paper and assembling them to make a complete picture." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXV.
= Very fine and ingenious publication. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXIV.
- Slightly foxed. Binding partly yellowed. = Rare first edition.