5381 - 5728 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- A waterstain on left side; some foxing.
= On blue/ grey laid paper. A vague small sketch of a standing figure in the lower right corner.
- Laid down; foxed and yellowed/ browned.
- Sm. tear in top margin into image.
= Nice drawing after a painting by Philips Wouwerman (1619-1668), cf. <https://rkd.nl/nl/explore/images/record?query=68217&start=0>
- Laid down on mount. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XC.
= Although the drawing is titled 'Huys te Warmond', the layout does not seem to correspond with drawings of the same building from the same period.
- Some dustsoiling/ small closed tears.
AND 1 other 18th cent. full-length portrait of a male nude in red crayon (51x24,3 cm. Upper margin trimmed w. loss of part of the head).
= With collector's stamp of Albert Finot (Lugt 3627) in lower left corner. With on verso a part of another drawing, showing the feet of two elegant men.
- Repaired section in sky area.
AND 2 other 18th/ 19th cent. drawings depicting ships, framed unif. w. the above. - ADDED: a pencil drawing of a seated man by C.C.A. LAST (under passepartout).
- Some soiling/ foxing; paper buckled (verso traces of glue).
- Lower margin w. a closed tear and 2 holes, affection captions.
- Partly yellowed (especially the sky). = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCI.
- Soiled; w. rubbed spots and tiny paper remnant on recto.
= In the style of A. Watteau. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCI.
- Upper blank corners torn off.
- Formerly laid down, thin areas; chip in lower edge; sl. soiled.
= Probably a part of a larger drawing. The man perhaps tries to control a staggering horse.
- Vaguley foxed/ stained and worn. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIX.
- Leaf cut out and tipped onto mount; white oxidized.
= With an attribution in pencil to Pierre-Paul Prud'hon (1758-1823).
- Duststained. = With an unlikely attribution to "P. Sandby" in pencil on verso.