5137 - 5257 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
- Tipped onto mount; craquelé in lower margin (just touching one leaf) and in blank upper right corner.
AND 2 others similar, both showing a butterfly and a bee on a flowering branch (both ±12x16 cm. Both w. craquelé in margins; one watercolour foxed/ yellowed).
- Small tear in lower margin.
AND 4 other similar watercolours on pith paper: (A Chinese man/ A Chinese woman) (both 14x8 cm. Both trifle foxed) and (A Chinese lady with a fan/ A South-American veiled girl) (both 15,5x9,5 cm. Both foxed). - ADDED: 2 similar watercolours on pith paper (A Mexican woman on horseback/ A Mexican man riding a donkey) (both 15,5x11,5 cm. Both foxed).
- Wrappers sl. stained and sl. frayed; backwr. sl. dam.
- Only 1 (of 2) vols. Pastedowns loosening at corners (2x w. sm. tear). Wr. sl. soiled/ worn; cloth box sunned at margins.
= Provenance: the collection of the Flemish author Gerard Walschap, who received it as a gift from the Dutch author Johan Fabricius in the 1930s.
- Yellowed. = From the series: Yakumo no Chigiri.
= From the series Gekko ZuihitsuI.
= From the series Fujin fuzoku tsukushi (Activities of women).
- Fine. = Brown 368. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXVIII.
- Very fine impression. = Brown 241. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXVIII.
- Very fine impression. = Brown 287.
AND 1 woodcut by HOKUSAI.
- Fine. = Brown 452. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXVIII.
- Sl. dam. in lower margin; blank margins trimmed; upper left blank corner trifle dam.; vague foxed spot in image.
= Station no.34 from the series of Fifty three stations of the Tôkaidô.
AND 1 other (no.16) from the same series: Evening Snow at Kanabara (badly duststained and sold w.a.f.).
- Sl. foxed/ duststained. = From the series Kôto meisho (Famous Places in Edo).
- Foxed; tipped onto mount. = No. 20 of the One Hundred Famous Views of Edo.
AND 3 manga prints by HOKUSAI.
- Left margin trimmed short.