5137 - 5257 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIX.
AND 1 other by the same, "Among trees".
- Contents fine. Portfolio sl. worn along extremities. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- Soiled spots on the faces and hand of the ladies.
- A few rubbed spots.
= Decorative thangka showing Ganesha, "Destroyer of Obstacles", seen here in his Tibetan form, dancing and wielding many weapons symbolic of his ability to protect and remove obstacles. In this form he is known as Maharakta - The Great Red One. A rare depiction in Tibetan buddhist thangka paintings.
- With small wax seal on verso.
- W. small wax seal on verso.
= From the series: Sansho Goshi (Portraits of Sansho).
= From the series Bijin juni-shi (Beautiful women of the twelve months).
= From the series Sanju-rokkasen (Thirty-six beauties).
- Repaired tear in upper blank margin
- Sm. rubbed spot in right print.
= From the series Newly Selected Records of the Taiko Hideyoshi. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- Sl. wormholed in margin, affecting one watercolour. Otherwise fine.
= Modern restrike.
- Tipped onto mount.
= Rare print. Interesting copy w. several additions not found on the copy kept in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. These additions are either later added handcolouring or additions that came with a restrike from new blocks. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- Trimmed to the borderline and just inside left borderline; sm. foxed spot to the left of signature; tipped onto mount.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- Two parts only (of 6); wr. creased. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
= Depicting the character from the play Shiranami Gonin Otoko (Five men of the White waves).
Yoshitoshi (1839-1892). (A woman with a candle, her fan lying on the ground). Horizontal col. woodcut ôban w. gauffrage and w. silver printing, from an unidentified series, signed Yoshitoshi ga, w. artist's seal. - AND 3 others similar, partly by the same from the same series (1x sl. creased). - ADDED: 16 other col. woodcuts on 4 leaves (a series of 16 ills. to the life of Buddha).
= From the series Tosei bijin soroi (The most beautiful women of our time). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.