2349 - 2864 BOTANY (incl. PRINTS and NURSERY CATALOGUES) - The Collection of Jan Meemelink (part 2)
- Lacks 9 leaves: aa3-5 (index) and Y1-6; second preliminary leaf dam. in lower blank margin (w. loss of 2 lines of text on both sides and w. manuscript rendering of the lacking lines on verso in pen and ink); index on recto of third preliminary leaf pasted over w. blank paper; upper hinge split; preliminary leaves, first 21 leaves and final few leaves (partly sl.) browned and waterstained; otherwise occas. sl. waterstained and trifle wormholed; the woodcut of no. 114 pasted over w. (contemp.?) drawing in pen and ink; old annot. on recto of first blank, in lower margin of woodcut of St. Cosmo and St. Damian; final leaf sm. hole in blank margin. Upper corner frontcover trifle dam.
= Rarely found edition of this equally rare title, which is almost always incomplete. Nissen, BBI 2320. This edition has the following two (full-p.) woodcuts: "S. Cosmo S. Damian" and the Annunciation. Formerly attributed to Arnaldo de Vilanova, but this attribution was later discarded. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIII.
- Both works dustwr. sl frayed.
Daul, A. Illustriertes Handbuch der Kakteenkunde. Stuttg., E. Ulmer, 1890, VI,150,(4)p., ills., orig. hcl. (stamp on title-p.). - AND 8 others on cacti, i.a. E. SCHELLE, Kakteen (Tübingen, 1926, ills., orig. cl.) and G.D. DUURSMA, Onze cactussen (Amst., 1927, ills., orig. cl.).
- Binding rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities. Contents fine.
ADDED 1 other: T.C. WINKLER, Handboek voor het Verzamelen van Kevers, Vlinders en Rupsen (Leyden, 1880, 7 parts in 1 vol., num. woodengr. ills. (1 full-p.), orig. giltlettered cl. Libr. stamps; tickets on frontcover; bookblock loose; spine-ends dam.).
- Htitle w. tear; library stamp on title-p.; sl. foxed/ soiled. Wr. severely (finger)soiled and sl. frayed.
= Pritzel 4037.
- Both vols. contemp. owner's entry first blank; occas. sl. foxed. Covers sl. rubbed at places. Good copies in attractive bindings.
= Nice series of small essays and poems on various kinds of flowers and plants. Each essay is illustrated with a finely handcol. plate of a plant or flower.
- Spine-ends sl. bumped, otherwise a fine copy.
AND 3 others on roses, i.a. T. RIVERS, The rose amateur's guide (...) (London, 1854, ills., contemp. giltlettered and blindst. cl.). and MEMOIRS OF THE ROSE (...) (London, 1824, contemp. cl., sm. 8vo).
- Upper hinge weak; bookplate on lower pastedown; last leaf waterstained. Sm. stain on frontcover; binding trifle worn along extremities.
Reynolds Hole, S. A Book About Roses: how to grow and show them. London, E. Arnold, 1911, new enl. ed., (10),324p., col. frontisp., 11 plates (3x col.), ills., 18tch-cent. style calf w. richly gilt spine and mor. letterpiece, t.e.g.
- Trifle foxed. Joints weak; covers trifle chafed.
AND 3 others on roses, i.a. H. MILMAN, My Roses & how I grew them (London/ New York, 1901, ills., contemp. leather, a.e.g.).
- Occas. trifle foxed, otherwise a fine copy.
Hudson Moore, N. Roses, New York, F.A. Stokes Comp., 1904, 2nd ed., XII,288,(4 publ. adv.)p., 10 plates, contemp. hcl.
- Cloth sl. soiled, internally fine.
AND 4 others on roses, i.a. C.G.D. ROBERTS, The Book of the Rose (Boston, 1903, col. frontisp., orig. gilt cl., t.e.g.) and H.B. ELLWANGER, The Rose (New York, 1882, orig. giltlettered dec. cl.).
- Owner's entry on first free endpaper; title-p. trifle soiled. Covers sl. (water)stained.
- Occas. trifle foxed, mainly in blank margins. Boardedges sl. worn. = Rare.
- Several textp. foxed. Covers rubbed. = Nissen, BBI 890; Pritzel 4132.
= Pritzel 5238. A fine copy.
- Contents w. minor imperfections. Boardedges rubbed/ worn. A fine and desirable copy.
= WITH the supplement leaves and the 6 extra plates loosely inserted. Exceptional publication of a xylotheque on paper. This publication was started in Germany with the plates after the xylotheque of the Electoral Collection in Dresden. It was expanded with plates showing the xylotheque of exotic woodspecies of mr. Hazeu and the collection of the author. Nissen, BBI 939; Landwehr, Books with Colour Plates 84. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIII.
- Lacks last 4 parts. = Nissen, BBI 951.