1814 - 1889 INDONESIA. BOOKS, MAPS, PLANS, PRINTS, DRAWINGS, PHOTOGRAPHS
- A few lvs./ plates/ quires loose(ning); the plates occas. sl. yellowed/ foxed. Binding worn/ sl. dam.; joints splitting; portions of backstrip loosening.
= Lipperheide Ld17; Cordier, Indosinica p.1109; Rouffaer/ Muller p.9; Bastin/ Brommer n.144 and 148; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Coloured Plates 397. The first French edition of this classic work on Java. "Apart from being the first coloured lithographs of Indonesian costume and topography the much underrated illustrations have an additional interest in that they were printed by J.B.A.M. Jobard, one of the pioneers of lithographic printing, at his press in the Rue de la Chancellerie, Brussels" (Bastin/ Brommer p.9). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIII.
- Backstrip worn; upper joint splitting. = Rouffaer/ Muller p.244 and 711.
Borel, G.F.W. Onze vestiging in Atjeh. Ibid., D.A. Thieme, 1878, VI,364,(4)p., 2 fold. lithogr. maps, contemp. (sl. rubbed) gilt hmor. - AND 1 other: H.D. LEVYSSOHN NORMAN, De Britsche heerschappij over Java en onderhoorigheden (1811-1816) (The Hague, 1857, contemp. cl.).
- Worn/ dam. almost throughout along top margin (esp. first ±15 and final ±90 leaves dam. in top margin). Covers faded/ foxed. Sold w.a.f.
- A few plates sm. imperfections in blank margins; partly with libr. stamp on verso, otherwise contents fine. Fold. flaps of portfolios worn/ loose(ning).
= Extremely rare complete series of these photographic schoolplates, the images on the plates measuring 47x62 cm. Subjects incl. cultures, scenery, colonial scenes, natives and monumental buildings. Haks/ Maris p.70: "Jean Demmeni (1877-1939). Well known photographer and amateur painter and draughtsman, who travelled all over the Archipelago. His extensive photographic achievement is an important documentation of Indonesia in the first quarter of this century". Also include a series of photogr. plates of the West-Indies. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLV.
- Lacks the following plates: no. 1, 15, 16, 71, 89, 82, 105-114, 116-126, 130-141 and 143-170. Occas. sl. frayed in margins; partly w. library stamps on verso. Fold. flaps of bindings partly loose(ning) and portfolio partly dampstained and/ or worn.
= The images on the plates measuring 47x62 cm. Subjects incl. cultures, scenery, colonial scenes, natives and monumental buildings. Haks/ Maris p.70: "Jean Demmeni (1877-1939). Well known photographer and amateur painter and draughtsman, who travelled all over the Archipelago. His extensive photographic achievement is an important documentation of Indonesia in the first quarter of this century".
- Without vol. 5 (part 2) and the rare 6th vol.; occas. (sl.) foxed.
= Rouffaer/ Muller Suppl. II, p.3. On hygienic conditions in the Dutch East Indies.
- A few library and cancellation stamps on htitle and title-p. Backstrip discoloured and w. traces of library tickets.
= Rouffaer/ Muller p.178.
Sanders, D.J. Handleiding voor de Deli-Tabakscultuur. Ibid., idem, 1924, XI,(1),346p., ills., orig. gilt cl., 4to.
- Lower joint splitting.
AND 2 others, i.a. F. BÈRE, Les Tabacs (Paris, n.d. (1895), ills., contemp. hcl.).
- Spines sl. rubbed. = Cf. Rouffaer/ Muller p.14; Tiele 1157.
Koningsberger, J.C. Java. Zoölogisch en biologisch. Buitenzorg, Dep. van Landbouw, Nijverheid en Handel, 1915, (6),663p., orig. gilt cl.
- Fine set.
- Spine discoloured; covers sl. scratched and dustsoiled. = Rouffaer/ Muller Suppl.III, p.28.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Dustwr. torn and dam. = All published.
Temminck Groll, C.L. and Alphen, W. van. The Dutch overseas, architectural Survey. Mutual heritage of four Centuries in three Continents. Zwolle, Waanders, (2002), 479p., (col.) ills., orig. boards w. dustwr., 4to. - AND 4 others, i.a. M. VAN DE GEIJN-VERHOEVEN a.o., Wonen op de Kaap en in Batavia 1602-1795 (Zwolle/ The Hague, 2002, (col.) ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr., folio) and J. TERWEN-DE LOOS, Het Nederlands koloniale meubel (Franeker, 1985, ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr.).
- Top of spine vol. 2 restored; upper joint splitting. = Rouffaer/ Muller p.5.