3486 - 4552 FINE ARTS - MODERN ART. PRINTS, DRAWINGS, PAINTINGS and SCULPTURE
- Two rubbed spots in left margin. Frame chipped/ sl. worn.
= Luigi Barzini sr. (1874-1947), the journalist who accompanied Prince Scipione Borghese in 1907 in the Peking to Paris race and who wrote the famous and widely published account of this race in Peking to Paris (publ. in 1908). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE I.
AND 1 other by the same: (Portrait of Mantica Barzini) (oil on canvas, 69x69 cm., signed in lower left corner, framed. Badly dam. Mantica B. was Luigi Barzini's wife).
- A few sm. dents; speck near upper edge; without varnish.
- Portfolio w. manuscript text in blue pen.
- Lacks 1 woodcut (Last Supper). Frontcover a few stains in upper margin.
= The title-p. and 8 of the remaining woodcuts are all signed in pencil (1x on verso, title-p. also numbered). Very rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE II.
- Pinholes in blank margins; sl. yellowed/ dustsoiled.
= Nice drawing with four men bending over a balcony to peep at an elegant woman (in the style of Kees van Dongen). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE II.
= Provenance: the estate of Dick Hillenius. Charming painting.
- Sl. browned; upper right corner dam.
- Some soiling; w. signature "S. Meijer" in lower right corner. Verso tape ghost along outer margins.
= Possibly by Hendrik IJkelenstam (1897-1993).
- All rolled.