5829 - 5971 FINE ARTS - FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY. MAPS, PLANS and VIEWS
- Fine copy. = Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 5111:1.1, from a German edition.
AND a handcol. engr. "Plan von Manchester und Saalford in England" (Prague, 1810).
- Some sl. occas. foxing; a few lvs. w. fold; 2 lvs. loose; a few lvs. yellowed; one leaf used (manuscript in German, dated 1850/ 1851).
= Nice collection of stationery sheets (perhaps a custom-made notebook?) with mainly Scottish views. Many views show (railway) bridges, but there are also some nice general views and (street)views of/ with churches and castles, i.a. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Chester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Oxford and London. The views of New York are numbered 1-9 and are from "Antice's New York Street Views".
- Sl. browned; lower blank margin sl. frayed.
AND 1 other small (browned) map of India: "India Orientalis".
- Folded; a few large creases; blank margins sl. waterstained.
- A few vague oblique creases, otherwise fine. = Shows Italy from Rome downwards.
- Trifle/ sl. foxed. = Nice and rare views of places in the Veneto.
- Restored spot on flattened middle fold; upper blank margin vaguely waterstained; image w. a few sm. stains.
= Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 7130:1.1. From a German edition. Nicely shows Mantua situated in the middle of three artificial lakes, created in the 12th century as the city's defence system.
- A few unobtrusive restored tears/ thin spots along flattened middle fold; yellowed; trifle spotted.
= Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 7013:1.1. From the first of two German editions. Rare. Also showing Milan.
- Folded twice; tear in upper margin near middle fold touching image; large repaired tear at lower end of fold; a few small repaired tears (mainly in margin); sl. foxed.
- Some expertly restored thin spots along flattened middle fold; the vaguely waterstained upper blank margin sl. trimmed.
= Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 7012:1.1. From the first of two German editions. Rare. Shows i.a. the Lago di Garda and Venice.
- Sl. foxed/ soiled; one leaf w. waterstain; one view creased; from a folio-edition w. two views on one leaf, the three loose views in this lot are from lvs. cut in two.
= Nice views in Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria, i.a. of Squillace, Catanzaro, Canosa, Metaponto, Monte Sant'Angelo, Mola di Bari, Polignano and Reggio Calabria (w. view of the Etna).
- Some retouches, mainly in sky area.
= Magnificent and effective large view showing the cathedral in its full splendour, in very attractive bright colouring, and enlivened by the scattered groups of people standing on the square in front of the cathedral. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXIV.
= Beautifully handcoloured lithographs, probably from a deluxe edition of N.M.J. CHAPUY, L'Italie monumentale et pittoresque (Paris, 1845). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXV.
- Trifle spotted.
AND 3 others, nos. 5, 6 and 10 from the same series: "Another View of the Ripa Grande from ye opposite side, showing ye Priory of ye Knights of Jerusalem (...)", "A View of the Tyber, and part of the City of Rome, at the back of the Strada Giulia" and "The Bridge Sisto w.ch crosses the Tyber from the Garden of the Farnese Pleasure House on the righthand (...)".
- A few foxed spots in sky area. Otherwise fine.
- (Sl.) creased due to former rolling; a few specks.
= Shows Kyoto, known by the Dutch as Miako, i.e. the seat of the Imperial palace.
= From Kaempfer i.a. "De Dajbods Tempel even buyten de Stad Miaco", "Matsusima. Een Sintos Tempel", "Verzonne Gedrochten der Japonesen en Chinesen" (3 plates), "Beknopt kistje (...) Thee te drinken (...)" and "'t Japansch A.B.C."; from Montanus "t Ziedende water van Singok", "Aertbeevinge tot Jedo" and 13 textlvs. w. 14 ills.; and "Plan de Jedo" (from BELLIN).
- Many lvs. yellowed/ partly waterstained, occas. w. sm. damages, a few lvs. w. a few names in ballpoint. The lot sold w.a.f.
= Atlas unidentified. Maps of i.a. Europe, Asia, America and parts of North and South America, Africa, Asia, Indonesia, the Netherlands (2x) and incl. a plate w. four armillary spheres/ globes.