5741 - 5828 FINE ARTS - OPTICAL VIEWS and related prints and objects
- Brownish stain in backscene; brown stain in right margin.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLV.
- Frontscene soiled. = Hyde, Paper Peepshows, no.255. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVI.
- Wallet wr. split on fold; edges rubbed/ worn. = Hyde, Paper Peepshows, no. 240.
- Brown spot in and near left margin; one figure of frontscene sl. weakly attached.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVI.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVII.
- All lvs. sl. (dust)soiled.
= Nice winterscape, i.a. showing a skating man slipping on ice and a horse-drawn sleigh in the background. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVII.
- Three scenes w. some dam. spots; one scene w. middle fold.
= Miscellaneous collection of perspective scenes, i.a. a market scene, a battle scene and the boning of an animal.
- Sl. soiled and w. a few sm. stains; margins frayed/ dogeared.
AND: "Vuë du Palais du Temple aux Chevaliers de Malthe". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view by J. RIGAUD, mounted on limp board, w. black painted borders, engr. captions in French below image, (Paris), n.publ., ±1760.
- Waterstained in upper corner; margin sl. frayed and dogeared.
- Waterstain in lower left corner (affecting image yet hardly visibly), otherwise a fine copy.
= The Palazzo della Consulta, "Veduta del Palazzo fabbricato sul Quirinale per le Segreterie de Brevi e della Sacra Consulta a Roma". Sixt v. Kapff K 153, after one of the Vedute di Roma by G.B. Piranesi.
AND 1 other: "Vue perspective de l'Arc de Triomphe, ou se passa la Furieuse Proscription sous le Triumvirat d'Antoine, d'Octave et de Lepidus à Rome" (Paris, Basset).
- Fine copies.
= Very nice collection of nighttime views of Rome, showing i.a. the Forum Romanum, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Pyramid, Capitol, interior of St. Peter's church and (probably) the 'grotta azzurra' on the island of Capri. Some views were originally smaller and have been neatly extended on all sides in watercolour. The use of black watercolour and much contrast effectively creates the mysterious nighttime lighting produced by a full moon; on the Capitol and in St. Peter's church however, it is the light of (invisible) candles/ torches, and a huge cross, producing the effect. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVIII.
- Trifle stained/ sl. soiled; black borders rubbed.
WITH: "Het Buitenhoff Lange Vijver berg Stadhouders Quartier in 'S Hage". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, laid down on limp board, borders pasted over w. black paper and w. perforations backed w. col. paper for candle-light viewing, without address, ±1770.
- Fine copy, trifle soiled.
= Title and numb. "18" supplied in contemp. hand in pen and brown ink on verso. The windows nicely provided with paper lattices. The sky with numerous stars and a crescent moon.
"23e Vüe d'Optique Representant Le fameux Vivier de la Haye". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, engr. captions in Latin and French below, mounted on limp board, w. perforations backed w. col. paper for candle-light viewing, Paris, Daumont, ±1770.
- Trifle soiled. = Fine view in reverse of the Hofvijver with adjoining buildings.
AND 3 other optical views.
- Sl. frayed mainly in blank margins; upper right corner some creases.
- Borders sl. soiled/ stained; creased and strengthened on verso along plate mark in left margin.
ADDED: 3 others (all dam. and in poor condition).
- Both w. sl. yellowed borders.
= Sixt v. Kapff K 250.
AND a handcol. engr. view of the harbour of Den Helder, w. Texel in the background.
- Laid down; lower right corner restored. = Rare.
- A few unobtrusive sm. inksmudges; sl. fingersoiled; pinholes in upper blank margin.
= View of the Mauritshuis. Sixt von Kapff K216.
- Right edge trifle frayed; lacks piece of upper right corner; trifle foxed in lower margin.
= Sixt v. Kapff K164.
ADDED: 1 other contemp. handcol. engr. optical view titled "Gezigt van den Amstel-sluys ziende na buyten tot Amsteldam" (damaged; Sixt v. Kapff K184).
- Sm. tear in lower blank margin.
"Vüe Perspective de l'Eglise de St. Jean et St. Paul à Venise." Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, engr. caption in French below and above image, Paris, Huquier, ±1770 (darkened in top margin of image). "Vüe de St Roch et de St Antoine à Venise". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, engr. caption below image, Paris, Basset, ±1770 (closed tear in right margin).
= Fine copy of this nice and rare view.