5390 - 5740 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Partly trifle spotted/ soiled in blank margins.
= Hollstein 159-170, all third state of 3 (with the number added in lower right margin). Comprises no. 1-3, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 11. Rare.
- One plate (no.5) w. large tear in lower blank margin, just touching the blank left corner of the plate and trifle rubbed in lower right corner of the plate; blank margins of other plates occas. sl. waterstained/ (finger)soiled (not affecting images).
= Hollstein 303-310, 2nd state of 2 or 3. Rare.
- Browned. = Bourcard/ Goodfriend 51 and 168.
- Foxed, mostly in margins.
= Bourcard/ Goodfriend 116, 2nd state of 2, with the words "2e etat" in the plate. With the collector's mark of Alfred Barrion (Lugt 76).
= One side w. engr. decoration in outermost ring, in second ring w. engr. "een altoos durent almanach heeft [...] dagen"; then on the next ring: "dag lang [...] uur/ nagt lang [...] uur" and on innermost ring: "son op [...] uur/ son onder [...] uur". The other side is entirely decorated and has a list of days to the right side, with an opening to the right showing the dates of the days. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVIII.
- On paper with watermark of a crown, Briquet 4966 (or very similar), Épinal 1525 or Swiss 1530. Professionaly restored.
= This leaf with March, April, July, August, November and December.
"Der Bawren Kalender/ gestelt auff das M. DCII. Jar." Calendar for 1602 on 2 sheets w. num. small to larger woodcut ills. and icons, printed in black and red, printed area 34x17,3 cm.
- Lacks lower half, only sm. part of second sheet present, and the woodcuts of the months up to half of June; the sheets disjoined; some sm. holes, marginal damages and browned (glue)traces of former mounting. Sold w.a.f.
- Late impressions. Both neatly doubled. = Only state. Lieure 549 and 550.
AND 4 others by the same, incl. 1 dam. etching, and 2 later impressions from the series of 24 etchings Les Balli (Lieure 385 and 388. Both cut sl. short).
- Sl./ vaguely stained(?) or w. restored spots in left margin. = Lieure 377, 2nd state (of 2).
- As usual without the engraved border (legend and vignettes printed from ten plates); yellowed. Not examined outside frame.
= Originally printed ±1630. Lieure 655. This famous bird's eye view shows the various events during the 14-month siege of La Rochelle in 1627-1628, which marked the apex of the tensions between King Louis XIII and the Catholics on the one side and the Huguenots of La Rochelle on the other, and which ended in a complete victory for the king. It is said that over 80 percent of the population of La Rochelle lost their lives during the siege, due to casualties, famine and disease.
- Poor copy. Doubled, horizontally cut in 2 parts; upper left corner torn off (repaired); several closed tears; small hole in left margin (w. loss of image). Sold w.a.f.
= Bartsch 3.
= Very rare satyrical anti-papal cardgame, more specifically a reaction on the papal bull Unigenitus, edicted by pope Clemens XI in 1713. This bull condemned the Jansenists. Caption above one of the card sections: "De Roomse onfeylbaarheyd word hier naar eys vertoond, En, Als zy waard is, met een Kaarten Spel bekroond". Also published on 1 sheet. Janssen, De geschiedenis van de speelkaart (1985), p.139. Not in Himmelheber or Cary. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXI.
= A satyrical print on the Amsterdam regents, in the style of Romeyn de Hooghe. F.M. 2797a.
AND 2 other etchings in similar style on the Franco-Dutch War of 1672-1678.
- Middle fold strengthened on verso w. strip of paper.
= On the speculation of 1720, depicted as various people suffering from a boulder in their bodies, mostly their heads, i.e. people who are crazy, and doctors, monks and quacksalvers trying to cut, burn, whip or pull the stones out of their heads or anuses. F.M. 3544 (no.9 in the Groote Tafereel): "Eene zonderlinge, waarschijnlijk oude, spotprent op menschen die eene Kei in het hoofd hebben, dat is: gek zijn, door allerlei bijschriften op den Actiehandel toegepast".
AND 12 others from the same work: "De Kermis-Kraam, van de Actie-Knaapen, Schaft vreugde, en droefheid, onder 't Kaapen", "Arlequin Actionist", "Bombario Actionist en de Geest van Esopus", "Actieuse Nacht-Wind-Zanger met zyn Tover Slons", "Natuur Actie-Doctor of klap-achtig Bobbel Meester", "Directrice der Vervalle Actie-Regimenten", "Verhens-Beker van Fi-âne of Vianen", "Rector Magnificus van de Ongeactioneerde Litteratuur", "Ontsprongen rondom bedekte Blaaskaak", "Contrarolleur van de Gelukkige en rampzalige Lapis-zoekers", "Gedenk-boog, ter begraaf-plaats der uitgeteerde Actionisten" and "Anatomie der Wind-Negotie, of Bombario voor den Drommel" (F.M. 3546 (11), 3547 (12), 3561 (26) (4x), 3564 (29) (4x), 3568 (33) and 3588 (53).
- Most lithographs tipped in; a few sl. foxed/ yellowed.
= A caricatural overview of the European poltical situation in 1898.
(Caricature on the independance struggles within the Ottoman empire). Col. lithograph, 1899, 35x55,5 cm., from the same newspaper.
= A caricatural view on Istanbul and the Bosporus with figures representing Greece, Romania, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Armenia, looking at a deflated hot air balloon in the shape of a man "concerto Europeo" (vaguely in the shape of Europe).
= Cole 8 (sl. stained), 12, 15, 20, 25, 41, 46 (cut sl. short), 47, 54 (sl. foxed), 58, 62. Biting satirical caricatures of The Great Mirror of Folly.
- Sl. fingersoiled; right margin frayed.
AND 4 others.
- Sl. foxed.
= Rare caricatural broadside on the wonder doctor Andries de Clerck (1826-1853), called Drieske Nijpers in the Belgian town of St-Gillis-Waas.
"Manneken-Pis". Lithograph, 29,5x22,5 cm., ibid., E. Breyer, ±1850.
- Folded once; sl. foxed.
AND 24 supplement plates in catchpenny style of La Chronique Illustrée and 5 others.
= Published after the collapse of the second French empire. Part of a series of 13 plates. Rare.
AND num. caricatural plates, cut-out illustrations from and loose issues of satirical periodicals, i.a. (col.) lithogr., mostly French, a few German en British, ±1820-1910.
- Various defects, i.a. frayed.
= Mostly relating to French politics, i.a. during the 2nd French empire and the 3rd French republic. I.a. by Cham, Caran D'Ache, J. Grandville. J. Veber. And 3 handcoloured etched plates by GEORGE CRUICKSHANK (probably later impressions). I.a. a few plates of the series Fleurs, Fruits & Légumes du jour by ALFRED LE PETIT; issue of La desideratum universel (rare); Imagerie Politique. Le Petit Chaperon (handcol. catchpenny print from Le CHARIVARI); large col. lithogr. plate "Le 43 de Paris" (w. 43 caricatures of prominent Frenchmen and Garibaldi, ±1875).
- Sl. browned and soiled; a few tiny holes cut to the border line.
= Later state with the original address erased in lower margin. A satyrical print on marriage and frivolous wives and a variant of the motif "man loaded with misery".
AND 1 other: "Nous sommes sept" (engr., w. address Paris, Daumont, ±1750).