5317 - 5389 FINE ARTS - CATCHPENNY PRINTS and POPULAR PRINTS
- Two prints cut in half and pieces tipped together on paper mount.
= Rare. Partly early lithographs. Present are no.1, 2, 7, 8, 23, 25, 34, unknown, 95, 86 (Swiss costumes, signed "P. Ellmer") and 116. Hermann started his business in 1821. Cf. Brückner, p.222. I.a. animals, militaria and landscapes.
AND 27 similar catchpenny prints, all cut out and tipped onto mounts, probably published by the same companies.
- Woodcut captions occas. faded; formerly folded. = KVCS p.793, 137.
- Formerly folded; closed tears; foxing (especially in upper margin).
= Rare. KVSC p. 755. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Some unobtrusive foxing. = Not traced in KVSC.
- Soiled. = KVCS, p.764 (Hoffers).
"De geschiedenis van den Zwitser Willem Tell". Catchpenny print w. 8 woodcut ills. by SCHUYLING, touched w. red, blue and yellow, ibid., idem, ±1820.
- Strengthened and repaired on verso; sl. soiled.
AND 3 others published by the same: no. 11 (Hugo de Groot, also signed "Schuyling") and 2x no.15 (Richard Whittington. One w. publisher's address and one without).
- Folded w. 2 sm. tears in fold; foxed.
- Formerly folded; annots. in blue pencil on verso; sl. foxed. = KVCS p.796, 258.
- Formerly folded; margins heavily dam. but repaired; partly doubled; sm. stamp on verso; marginal defects.
= KVCS, Glenisson 111.
"Geschiedenis van Rood-Kapje. Histoire du petit Chaperon-rouge". Catchpenny print, 20 contemp. stencil-col. woodcuts, "N. 220. B" in upper right corner, without address, ±1880.
- Formerly folded (paper weak on folds); dam. spot (1x2,5 cm.) on fold (repaired w. paper); marginal defects; foxed.
= KVCS, Brepols 220.
AND 9 others, all (handcol.) lithogr.
- All cut short or cut out or in pieces.
- Folded twice and w. small tears on folds; sl. frayed. = KVCS p.726, 35.
"Oproer in Brussel, Augustus 1830". Catchpenny print w. 8 handcol. woodcut ills., each w. letterpress caption and 2-line verse below, "N. 9", Deventer, J. de Lange, ±1840.
- Folded twice and w. tears on folds and one in left margin. = KVCS p.777, 9.
AND ±25 others, all 19th cent., i.a. 10 (handcol.) lithogr. catchpenny prints showing battle scenes (i.a. publ. by J. Scholz (Mainz) and F.G. Schulz (Stuttg.)); 8 handcol. lithogr. catchpenny prints showing uniforms of several different military parties (publ. Scholz); "Bataille d'Iéna" and "Bataille de l'Isly" (2 handcol. catchpenny prints w. very large woodcut ill., Paris, Pellerin/ Épinal), "Le Convoi de Marlborough" (chatchpenny print w. large woodcut ill. handcol. in green and red, Metz, Gangel and P. Didion) and 3 engr. scenes showing satirical scenes from the Russo-Turkish War of 1787-1792 (publ. by J.M. Will, Augsb. All w. large portion of upper left corner missing and repaired). - ADDED: ±25 miscell. other (handcol.) lithogr. catchpenny prints, i.a. publ. by Scholz and Schulz.
- Waterstained in margins.
- Minor defects, i.a. a few creases; sm. marginal tears.
= Very rare (complete?) series, not found anywhere. Three anti-french caricatural plates with various cartoons on the Franco-Prussian war.
- Waterst. and sl. foxed in margins; collector's stamp (Lugt 1919a) in upper left corner
= Extremely rare. No copy traced. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Partly browned/ yellowed; formerly folded; a few pencil eraser marks; collector's stamp (Lugt 1919a) in upper left corner.
- Flattened vertical fold; a few sm. creases. Fine copy. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Very fine. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
- Creased; right blank corners torn off.