5052 - 5316 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Mounted along margins. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
Regnier, A. (1787-1860). (A huntsman leaving a village in the early morning). Drawing, 9,2x13,4 cm., signed in upper right corner.
- Mounted along margins.
- One vertical and some vague oblique folds; trifle soiled.
= View of Haarlem from the Spaarne towards the Bavo; a mill to the right.
AND 8 other (anonymous) drawings, all but one of/ concerning Haarlem, 19th/ early 20th cent., showing the "Kathedraal in aanbouw" (charcoal, watercolour and white, 17,5x29 cm.), Proveniershuis (signature unread, pencil, 24,5x15 cm.), canal seen towards the Amsterdamse Poort by H. HULK (pencil, 11x22,5 cm., on mounted sketchbook leaf, signed and dated 1904), boats on broad water (Spaarne north of Haarlem?) by the same (pencil and watercolour, 19x33 cm., signed), Bruiningshofje (charcoal, watercolour and white, signed "Gerardkff(?) Mei 1913". Laid down), the memorial stone "Ter nagedachtenis van Ripperda en Haarlems Burgerij 1572 en 1573" (pen and ink and watercolour, black framing line, 30x36 cm., pencil annot. "Deze steen is ingemetseld in de groote zaal der Schuttersdoelen"), the entrance gate to Huis te Heemstede (pencil, 18x10 cm.) and "Schepen met het Paardenspel van Barré" (possibly by H. HULK, pencil and grey wash, 27x25 cm. Sl. stained and frayed).
- Tipped onto mount; sl. stained.
Geselschap, A. (19th cent.). (Landscape with bridge, a village in the background). Drawing, brush and black/ brown ink, grey wash, 8,5x11 cm., signed.
- Tipped onto mount.
AND 2 other small drawings.
- Paper brown and w. sm. portion of lower corner lost. = Artist identified on passepartout.
AND 2 other animal studies by the same (ident. on passepartout): pigs (pencil, 16x9,5 cm.) and a profile portrait of a orangutan (black crayon, heightened(/ corrected) w. white, 17x15 cm.).
- Browned, but attractive. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Mounted under passepartout w. sellotape along outer margins.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
- Verso sl. foxed. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
AND 2 similar drawings by the same, i.a. "Herfst Landschap" (1891).
= "De Wellhorn"; "De Via Mala"; "Cours de l'Aar" (2x) and "De oude toren en het Spanjaarrolsgat te Breda".
- On rather thick laid paper sketchbook leaf w. two small binding holes just outside image area; stain in lower left blank corner.
= Nice sketch of the castle of Oudenhoven/ Vlierden(?).
- Numerous faded/ thin spots, affecting the drawing; doubled, formerly cut-off strip in lower margin reattached.
= Probably a design for a border scene of an unidentified print. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Paper remnants on verso from former mount. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Sl. yellowed. Otherwise fine.
- Somewhat browned. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- Laid down on mount, with attribution in contemp. pen on mount. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
AND 1 other drawing (by the same?): (Mountainous landscape with two people standing on the edge of a lake) (brush and brown wash, 11,6x16,2 cm., laid down on mount).
- A few vague foxed spots.
= Drawing after which Janson made an etching (for a study for this etching see:
http://hdl.handle.net/10934/RM0001.COLLECT.227080) and for the etching itself:
http://hdl.handle.net/10934/RM0001.COLLECT.128992). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- A few lvs. upper corners torn.
= Perhaps by the heiress Emilie Jenisch from Hamburg (1828-1899). I.a. views on the Pilatus mountain near Luzern, the Kapell Brücke in Luzern, Gross Brütz (Mecklenburg Vorpommern), view on the mountains near Cieplice (Warmbrunn, Silesia) and other views in Germany, Switzerland, Silesia and Austria.
- Sl. soiled; sm. brown stain image; vague creases/ fold. Attached to passepartout w. sellotape along upper margin verso and sm. piece of sellotape in lower margin, sl. shining through.
= On paper w. part of a Pro Patria watermark.
- Laid down on mount.
= Dated and artist identified in upper margin of mount in contemp. hand. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
Monogrammist "A.Ch."[?]. (View of an inlet of the sea on a rocky coast, with several small boats). Drawing, brush and brown and blue wash, 17,5x13 cm., monogrammed in lower right corner.
- Laid down on mount along margins.
- Laid down on browned mount (drawing not browned).
= Artist identified and with date in upper margin of mount in contemp. hand.
Anonymous (1st half 19th cent.). (Man and woman conversing at the foot of a tree, a building to the left). Drawing, brush and brown wash, pencil, 19,4x13,5 cm.