2726 - 3272 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Pastedowns loose/ torn; frontisp. to part 1 vaguely waterst. = Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 103.
- Lacks 2 text-lvs; later manuscript annot. in pen and brown ink on verso first free endpaper; contents otherwise fine. Rebacked w. modern calf w. contemp. backstrip laid down; binding (sl.) worn along extremities.
= With the often lacking heraldic plates. Verkruijsse 1046; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 282. The topographic bible of 17th century Zeeland, with splendid plans and (panoramic) views. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVI.
- Endpapers waterst.; a few foxed spots. Joints worn; corners showing; mor. letterpiece lacks part; spine dried and spine-ends worn.
= Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 455c. Cf. Storm van Leeuwen, Dutch Decorated Bookbinding in the Eighteenth Century, IIb., p.706 and 707 (illustration C): "It was not made for prize bindings but for the presentation binding of the aforementioned Historie van de Satisfactie of 1777, to be used immediately afterwards for prizes from the Latin school. (...) The coat of arms was used well into the nineteenth century." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVI.
- Larger paper copy. Trifle spotted; bookplate on upper pastedown. Binding sl. rubbed.
= The views numbered 1-104. One of the finest series of views depicting the Netherlands in the 18th century.
- Occas. sl. soiled.
BOUND WITH: Idem. Vrymoedig Dog teffens nedrig discours, Betreffende Eenige zaken van het In- en Uytwendigen Des Christendoms (...). Ibid., idem, 1726, 1st ed., (20),275p.
- A few leaves sl. waterstained in outer margin.
- Title-p. sl. foxed. Upper joint split; backstrip loose(ning) and chipped at top of spine.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 156; Van der Meulen p.171.
Groeneyk, C. Kronijk van Zierikzee, ten vervolge op die van den heere J. de Kanter Phil.Z. Ibid., J. Koole, 1821, (4),II,6,346,10,(1)p., contemp. marbled boards w. paper letterpiece.
- Joints split(ting).
= Warranted by the author. Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 265a; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 156; Nagtglas I, p.296f.
- Lacks the engr. title (supplied in photostat), the map and 2 views (of Voorburg and Schipluiden).