2726 - 3272 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- The 2nd part lacks title-p. and 2(?) prelim. lvs.; occas. trifle yellowed. Backcover sl. scratched.
= Incl. a panoramic view of Constantinople, a plan of Gdansk and a Polish bear hunting scene.
ADDED: an incomplete vol. from the same series on Italy (lacks the maps and one plate).
- Some occas. scattered foxed specks; frontisp. w. erased stamp in upper corner, leaving small hole in blank margin and chafed spot in image; first and and last leaf sl. frayed and w. a few sm. marginal tears; trifle yellowed.
= One of the finest books on 18th century Dutch stately homes, also of great importance for contemporary garden-architecture. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLVI.
- Without the frontisp. and the plan (which were published in folio format, and have been left out in our copy because it was bound in 8vo format); title-p. restored (w. sl. loss); lacks 5 plates; one plate cut short; plates partly strengthened along inner margin or w. inner margin partly split; occas. partly doubled (some unobtrusive closed tears); occas. sl. foxed/ waterstained in blank margin. Binding worn/ rubbed/ frontcover burn damaged in top left corner.
= Remarkable 8vo-bound copy with the first 15 plates in contemp. handcolouring. One of the finest books on 18th century Dutch stately homes, of great importance for contemporary garden-architecture. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLIV.
BOUND WITH: Idem. Speelreis langs de Vechtstroom, op de uitgegeevene gezichten van de zeegepraalende Vecht. Ibid., idem, n.d., 39p.
- Occas. sl. foxed.
- Lacks 8 views; copy without the text and without the frontisp.; margins of all leaves foxed, occas. touching images. Sold as a collection of prints not subject to return.
= One of the finest books on 18th century Dutch stately homes, also of great importance for contemporary garden-architecture. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLIV.
- Both pastedowns detached; (sl.) yellowed. Vellum soiled.
= Willems 2003; Rahir 3117.
- Lacks one prelim. text leaf (supplied in later manuscript); partly waterst.; extensive later annots. (on tipped-in lvs.) on first endpaper. Vellum sl. wrinkled.
= Ter Meulen/ Diermanse 215.
- Title-p. and one ill. printed sl. askew. A fine copy.
= Very rare. Simoni V201; cf. Waller 1778 The first edition was part of "tLoff vande mutse" (1612). This is the first separate edition and 2nd greatly enlarged edition. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLII.
- Waterstained in margins (sl. affecting the plan and a few of the plates); annots. in pen on title-p. and w. stamp on verso title-p. Frontcover loose; binding poor.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 212.
BOUND WITH: Hoogvliet, A., Eerkroon voor de stede Vlaerdinge. The Hague, J. Gaillard, 1771, 18p. (waterstained).
- Fine copy. = Van Herwijnen 2473; Van Balen Chavannes 4273. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLV.
- Upper hinge broken and w. sm. inkstains; partly waterstained/ wrinkled; contents otherwise good and untrimmed. Upper joint split/ frontcover loosening; spine-ends dam.; spine rubbed; binding worn along extremities.
= Rare. Landwehr, VOC 455; cf. Muller, America 2220. Proceedings, sentences and acquittal in the case of mutiny aboard the Neyenburg, sailing from Texel to Batavia.
- Lacks all maps/ plates; some sl. foxing; title-p. vol. 2 doubled; lvs. occas. frayed; one quire loose. Sold w.a.f.
= Landwehr VOC 254.
AND 1 other: G.C. MOLEWIJK (ed.), 't Verwaerloosde Formosa (...) (Zutphen, 1991, plates, orig. cl. w. dustwr. Linschoten-Vereeniging vol. XC).
- Vol. 1 a few lvs. remargined and divis. title "Afbeeldingen" closed tear; vol. 2 first free endpaper and first blank torn out. Joints split(ting); vol. 1 lacks small portion of backstrip.
= Schuytvlot 11 and 882 (Het leven van -).
- Vol. 3 a few quires (sl.) browned and a few portraits (sl.) foxed. Bindings sl. soiled; vol. 3 lower joint splitting.
= Contains i.a. Maria Stuart of gemartelde majesteit (Cologne, 1646), two diff. eds. of Palamedes (Amst., 1652 and Amersf., 1707) and Hekeldichten (Amersf., 1707).
Idem. Poëzy of verscheide gedichten. Franeker, L. Strik, 1682, 2 vols., (24),791; 695,(1); 89,(7),(40)p., bound unif. w. the above.
- Trifle foxed. Vol. 2 lower joint starting. = Schuytvlot 11 and 882 (Het leven van -).
- Occas. waterstained.
= 1. Schuytvlot 418; Unger 93; 2. Schuytvlot 446; Unger 121; 3. Schuytvlot 427; Unger 110. With engr. plate; 4. Schuytvlot 485; Unger 164; 5. Schuytvlot 521; Unger 246; 6. Schuytvlot 558; Unger 307; 7. Schuytvlot 593; Unger 338; 8. Schuytvlot 605; Unger 356; 9. Schuytvlot 496; Unger 221; 10. Schuytvlot 569; Unger 315; 11. Schuytvlot 580; Unger 323; 12. Schuytvlot 621; Unger 374; 13. Schuytvlot 635; Unger 433; 14. Schuytvlot 653; Unger 459 and 15.Schuytvlot 645; Unger 444.
AND 3 others, i.a. IDEM, De Amsterdamse Hecuba. Treur-spel (Amst., 1647, engr. text-ill., later hvellum. Schuytvlot 418; Unger 111) and J. VAN BROEKHUIZEN, Gedichten. Hier is by gevoegt het Leven des Dichters (ibid., 1712, engr. frontisp., contemp. blindst. calf).
- Upper hinge almost broken; owner's entry (dated 1883) on engr. title, first free endpaper and p.9; 17th cent. "Annagramma" on Vondel in pen and ink on verso second blank (dated 1679). Binding dam. along extremities.
= Unger 1 and 2; Schuytvlot 3 and 4; Coll. Hartkamp 193 (both works): "Zeer zeldzaam". Ad 1: First collection of Vondel´s poems, an initiative by his admirers. Rare.
- Trifle foxed; title-p. vaguely waterst. in blank margin. Spine dried and sl. cracking.
= Klaversma/ Hannema 1485.
- Vol. 3 traces of paper ticket on spine. A fine set.
= Scheepers I, 164. Contains a view of the estate Ockenburg.
- Bindings a few sl. rubbed spots; vol. 1 backcover sl. dam.; supplement vol. sl. wormholed on upper joint and top of spine sl. chipped. Otherwise a fine and attractively bound set.
= Incl. the often lacking supplement vol. Buijnsters 173; Waller 1889; Muller 261.
- Large fold. map strengthened on verso on a few folds and w. some holes at intersection of folds; one closed tear in inner margin, extending into image. Otherwise contents fine.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 194; cat. NHSM p.319. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLV.
- Two (partly erased) library stamps on first title-p.; later endpapers and first/ final blanks; occas. vaguely waterst. Rebacked; lacks letterpiece.
= De Buck 1944; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 264.