2632 - 2725 MANUSCRIPTS, AUTOGRAPHS, DOCUMENTS
- Pinholes in lower corners; partly possibly sl. faded.
AND an anonymous Chinese style design for a porcelain dish (circular drawing in brush and colours, late 19th cent., Ø 19,5 cm. Soiled, formerly cut in two halves, now reattached and doubled).
- Sl. foxed.
= "Prins Friso's dierbre Gemalin/ die ons een Debora verstrekke,/ wil God met zijne vleuglen dekke/ en schenken rykelyk gewin/ van welgeschapen Oranje Zoonen./ op dat weer elk mag zeker wonen." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CIX.
- All (sl.) soiled and frayed.
Anonymous (late 18th/ early 19th cent.). "Vive la Plume. De Schrijf Konst, die 't voorlêen Vertelt (...)". Calligraphed poem, pen and ink, ±1800.
- Foxed; folded once; sm. hole on fold; sl. frayed. = Attractive calligraphy.
AND 1 other calligraphed poem in English, perhaps by the same.
- Some old (ink)staining on verso shining through.
= A calligraphed devotional poem using the image of a heart instead of the word "hart" in the poem in such a way that all the symbols for a heart together form a bigger heart. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
WITH a worn and sl. damaged holy picture titled "Consummatum est" (watercolour, 21x16 cm., framed. Frayed/ chipped and stained/ browned in margins).
- Formerly folded once (vertical fold), with dampstaining on vertical fold and in top margin. Backwr. dam.
= The 9 leaves are preceded by a leaf w. the text: "9 Schriften" in simple calligraphy. Jan Witt'Bols was ordinary member of the Genootschap der Mathemathische Wetenschappen, Amsterdam in 1788.
- Folded several times, w. wear and sl. dam. on intersections of folds and at lower end of vertical fold; chipped in margin and right margin; sl. stained in upper right corner and more so in lower right corner.
= Made at the age of 10 years by one of the sons of Jan Pauw (1730-1797).
- Vertical fold throughout; occas. sl. frayed (incl. wrappers); backwr. dam.
= The first of a series of five beautifully calligraphed albums, containing some spectacular calligraphed leaves and capitals. Jan Pauw is listed in 1745 as member of the Genootschap der Mathematische wetenschappen (onder de spreuk: een onvermoeide arbeid komt alles te boven"), and was a schoolmaster in various places in the province of Overijssel. Other than that not much is known about him, but as can be concluded from this and the following 4 albums, he certainly deserves a place in the strong tradition of Dutch calligraphy and may possibly have been trained by one of the famous writing masters of the first half of the 18th cent. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Vertical fold throughout; backwr. sl. frayed in upper margin; a few capitals affected by ink corrosion.
= Rich album, with a highly unusual (almost experimental) calligraphy on a black painted leaf. Brocade paper not traced. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Vertical fold throughout; occas. sl. frayed in outer and lower margins; vague foxed spot in inner margin of three leaves; sm. later ticket in lower margin of title-p. (obscuring the (crossed-out) year "1756"). Lacks backwr.
= Including four exquisite calligraphies in colours. SEE ILLUSTRATIONS PLATE CXI.
- Vertical fold throughout; occas. sl. frayed in outer margin.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION ON FRONTCOVER.
- Vertical fold throughout. Otherwise fine.
= Rich album, with a deliberate increase per leaf of the virtuosity of the calligraphed flourishes towards the end, culminating in the most exuberant design on the penultimate leaf, after which, on the final leaf, soberness returns with a typographically opposite composition in which the ten commandments are written out. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
- Doubled (contemporary).
= Attractive leaf by one of the sons of Jan Pauw, Jan Jans Pauw who was a schoolmaster at Blokzijl and Oldemarkt. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Sl. foxed, especially in lower margin.
Idem. "Juicht de grafsteen is gevallen (...)". Calligraphed leaf, pen and black ink, recto only, 31,5x40 cm. Idem. Schoon de noord orkanen woeden (...)". Calligraphed leaf, pen and black ink, recto only, 31,5x40 cm.
- All leaves w. vertical central fold. Otherwise fine.
= Three leaves by an unidentified descendant of Jan Pauw. The only son named Pieter died in 1826, whereas the first leaf is dated 1829.
- Sl. frayed in right margin (one tear touching image); a few thin spots (one small unobtrusive hole in image); sl. duststained (mostly in upper blank margin); formerly folded twice.
= Nice leaf made by the 10 year old Stijntje Bruin, who married Hermen Pauw in 1818 and died in childbirth a year later. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Sl. soiled/ frayed in right margin, sl. affecting the text.
AND 3 others by the same. - AND 3 anonymous richly calligraphed lvs. in medieval style containing (parts of) "Toespraak gehouden by gelegenheid der Huwelijksinzegening van Zyne Koninklyke Hoogheid Hendrik (...) Hertog van Mecklenburg en Hare Majesteit Wilhelmina (...) Koningin der Nederlanden den VIIden Februari MDCCCCI in de Groote Kerk te 's-Gravenhage door Dr. G.J. van der Flier, Hofprediker" (pen and black and red ink, watercolour and gold, heightened w. white, the lvs. 36,5x28,5 cm.). - ADDED: 4 others, i.a. a manuscript "voorschrift van Correctie-teekens, ter aanduiding van veranderingen of fouten bij het nazien van Drukproeven" ((7) lvs., pen and ink, recto only, chintz paper wr., sm. 8vo) and a 3p. letterpress "Dichtmatige regelen om drukkers proeven te corrigeren" (both early 19th cent.).
- Trifle/ sl. yellowed/ foxed in blank margins; one fold. plate outer part torn off along fold and one plate w. tear on fold; one quire almost loose; a few tiny holes due to acidity of ink. Binding sl. rubbed.
= Richly calligraphed Roman Catholic prayerbook. Most of the (naive) drawings form rebuses (e.g. "Zijt nugteren ende waakt want uwe tegenpartij, de [drawing of a devil] gaat om als een brieschende [drawing of a lion] Soekende de Wien hij zoude mogen Verslinden"). The folding "Opdragt" with the coat of arms and the motto: "Mansuete et Fortiter", chosen by Joannes Zwijsen (1794-1877) after his installation as bishop in 1842. The text reading: "Ontfangt dan o hier tans van mijn hand, Een gift Uw uijt Liefde opgedraagen (...) Leest voor Uw Ouders En Voor die uw naast bestaan. Wiens bloed gij Wel in Uwen haerthaar Voeld Slaan, En wilt dan ook noch eens denken als ik ben dood aan A. Tholenaar". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- Folded twice and two halves reattached w. (browned) tape on verso of horizontal fold; frayed in lower margin; some foxing in margins.
AND 4 others, i.a. a calligraphed "Nieuw Jaars Brief Mijn Lieve Vader en Moer en Zusters zoet" by CORNELIS WILLEMSZ, dated "1851" (pen and ink, within calligraphed borders. Right margin sl. frayed and lower corner dam.); "Kersbrief aan Mijne Geächte Peet!" by JAN SLEUTEL, dated "25. December Ao.1840" (calligraphed Christmas wish, pen and ink, within handcol. borders, Amst., J. Brouwer, ±1840. Folded once and sl. creased; cf. Buijnsters-Smets p.122f. and p.161 (col. plate w. address J. Ratelband en J. Bouwer)) and "Wensch Aan Mijn Waarde Vader & Moeder op den 1 January 1804" by JAN BOS (calligraphed New Year's wish, pen and ink, within partly handcol. borders w. hunting scene, n.pl., n.publ., ±1800. Folded once; some strengthened spots in left margin).
- Spine of album sl. dam.
= These signatures were collected by Richard Oehring, who was Russian interpreter for the organising committee of the legendary AVRO Schaaktournooi of November 1938, in which the following 7 famous chess players participated: Paul Keres, Reuben Fine, Michail Botvinnik, Samuel Reshevsky, Aleksandr Aljechin, José Raúl Capablanca and Salo Flohr. The signatures of all seven as well as that of Max Euwe are included in this album. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
WITH: TIJDSCHRIFT VAN DEN KONINKLIJKEN NEDERLANDSCHEN SCHAAKBOND. Year 1938 (n.pl., 1938, 12 vols., ills., orig. unif. wr. Wr. occas. sl. frayed/ waterstained).