1953 - 2162 CHILDREN'S BOOKS - MOVABLE BOOKS, POP-UP AND SHAPE BOOKS
- Bookblock partly loose (holding on cords); sm. stamp on title-p.; plates w. some (sm.) tears (mainly near pulling tabs and most repaired w. sellotape); one movable figure defective; lower part of inner fold strengthened w. tape. Two dam. spots in backstrip; covers soiled, (water)stained and worn.
- A few (very) sm. tears near pulling tabs; first leaf loosening. Covers sl. soiled/ thumbed; sm. waterstain on backcover; sl. rubbed. Otherwise a fine copy.
- One plate w. sm. tear near pulling tab; minor other defects. Corners worn; a few unobtrusive scribblings on frontcover. Despite defects a desirable copy.
= French movable book which uses (illegally?) the famous comic figures of Buster Brown and his dog Tige, created by the American pioneer comic artist R.F. Outcault. There was also another title published by Capendu with words by Reynaud with the same characters but given different names: Jack and his dog Puck ("Jack l'Incorrigible et son chien Puck"). Very rare, no copies traced in Bibliotheque Nationale or Worldcat. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIX.
- A few sm. tears in the corners of the frontscenes of the plates. Corners showing; bindings (sl.) rubbed.
= So called carousel picture books. With the rare text volumes. Attractive pop-up books. Krenn's Theater Album no.1 and 2.
- Lacks one tie; one sm. tear. Sl. rubbed along extremities; tape ghost near outer edge.
= So called carousel picture books. Published in the series Peepshow books. Montanero p.255.
The Sleeping Beauty. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1951), 6 pop-up plates with English captions, ills. by R. PYM, contemp. pict. boards w. ties (spine sl. rubbed). Cinderella. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1951), 6 pop-up plates with English captions, ills. by R. PYM, contemp. pict. boards w. ties.
- A few sm. tears. Lower outer corner backcover almost loose; waterstain on frontcover near spine; rubbed along extremities.
Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1950), 6 pop-up plates with English captions, ills. by IONICUS, contemp. pict. boards w. ties.
- A few sm. tears, of which two repaired w. tape. Sl. rubbed along extremities; scribblings in pen and pencil on backcover.
= Montanero p.519.
AND 2 others from the same series and the same publisher: Goldilocks and the three bears (±1950, ills. by P. TURNER) and The birth of Jesus (±1950, ills. by R.T. COWERN. Montanero p.32).
- One figure repaired w. tape on verso; sl. (finger)soiled. Boards browned; corners worn; cloth backstrip splitting.
= So called carousel picture books. Published in the series Wiga-Buchbühne.
AND 2 others from the same series, the French edition Blanche Neige Et Les Sept Nains and Robinson Crusoe.
- One plate lacks a layer; first leaf repaired w. paper in upper margin; one pop-up ill. lacking the head of one person; a few lvs. loose; one tear in final endpaper; sl. soiled; trifle frayed; upper hinge splitting. Binding worn.
= Very rare French edition after the edition by Dean's. Haining Movable Books p.30-31.
- Lacks at least 2 figures. Binding sl. worn along extremities.
Little red riding hood. A panorama book. London/ Glasgow, Collins, n.d. (±1940), (6)p., 6 different 3-dimensional panoramic scenes (carousel book), orig. clothbacked chromolithogr. pict. boards by M.B. THOMSON.
- Repaired tears in two scenes. Rubbed along extremities.
AND 10 other movable/ panorama/ pop-up and carousel books, all English language, 1st half 20th cent.
- Xylophone detached from verso backwr. w. glue stains. Box sl. rubbed.
Moore, C.C. The Night Before Christmas. New York, Crown Publishers, 1944, (18)p., 5 col. movable plates, col. double-p. pop-up plate, ills. and orig. ringbound pict. boards by M. WOHLBERG, sm. 4to.
- Two movable plates do not work and two others w. sm. tears; owner's entry on pastedown; sl. soiled. Boards sl. rubbed, mostly at spine.
Christmas. Wisconsin, Samuel Lowe Co., n.d. (±1950), (8)p., 4 double-p. pop-up plates, orig. clothbacked pict. boards, sm. square 8vo.
- One plate w. tear. Wr. sl. soiled. = A so called carousel book.
AND 5 others, i.a. Leon Jason's Jingle Dingle in "Christmas time in Jingle Town" (Cincinnati, 1953) and Santa's Little Helpers (New York, 1952).
- One tear in textp.; title-p. sl. frayed; one movable plate sl. defective. Otherwise fine.
= The "Alpha" Moving Picture Book.
- Two figures repaired w. stiff paper; some hinges splitting; trifle fingersoiled. Sl. worn along extremities; some sm. stains on frontcover.
= Nice series of single pop-up plates illustrating nursery rhymes.
- Contents w. minor imperfections. Spine and corners worn.
AND 1 other from the same series (Dick Tracy).
- Binding sl. rubbed.
AND 8 others similar in Dutch and English language, i.a. Levende poppen (±1950), Pieter (1956), Ernst (±1951), Henkie Haas (±1955) and Dolly takes a trip (±1952).
- One movable figure lacks an arm; upper hinge splitting; fingersoiled. Contemp. owner's dedication on frontcover; binding rubbed.
= Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIX.
- Hinges strengthened; endpapers yellowed; last endpaper partly torn. Spine worn/ dam.; sl. worn along extremities.
= Very rare children's book and despite the mainly exterior defects, a good copy. Lust en Leering p.399 and 415 (dating 1865); Coll. Caljé-Van Gulik 332; not in The Children's World of Learning. Only one copy found in NCC. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIX.
- Covers and spine sl. worn; frontcover trifle soiled; traces of red crayon on backcover.
- A few sm. tears in dustwr.
Idem. Les trois petits Cochons. Ibid., idem, 1949, 4th ed., 4 col. movable plates w. tabs, num. ills., orig. boards.
= Both early French Walt Disney editions published in the series "Hop-La!".
- Bookblock broken. Boardedges rubbed/ sl. worn.
= Early French Walt Disney edition published in the series "Les albums Hop-La!".