1953 - 2162 CHILDREN'S BOOKS - MOVABLE BOOKS, POP-UP AND SHAPE BOOKS
- Hinges splitting; sl. fingersoiled in lower margin; sm. tear in final endpaper. Binding soiled; stain on backcover; corners showing.
= Osborne I, p.417. Hunt p.336. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIV.
- Foxed and (dust)soiled; plates w. marginal tears; bookblock reattached w. cloth tape; one plate w. glue stains in lower margin.
= Haining, p.91-97: "In and Out and Roundabout is another of Nister's superior books of transformation pictures (...)." Hunt p.311.
- Hinges weak; one plate lvs. detached; overlay plates partly loose. = Hunt p.344.
Carlton, M. Ups and downs in Picture Town. Ibid., iidem, n.d. (±1895), (8)p., 6 chromolithogr. double-panel plates w. chromolithogr. overlay and orig. clothbacked chormolithogr. boards by H. ROBINSON.
- Contents loose; lvs. occas. frayed; one plate w. dam. spots. = Hunt p.343.
- Owner's entry on title-p.; hinges and inner margins strengthened; some minor creasing in (inner) corner of plates. Corners and spine-ends sl. worn/ rubbed; backcover dampstained. Nevertheless an attractive pop-up book.
= Hunt p. 296 and 310. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Contents loosening; some lvs. (sl.) frayed; sl. foxed; all plates in working order. Binding rubbed; corners showing.
= Hunt no.638.
- Trifle fingersoiled; bookblock broken. Extremities sl. worn/ rubbed; backcover dampstained.
= An attractive pop-up book showing the characteristic Nister charming children with animals in stand-up grotto scenes. Pop-ups come to life as the book is opened, by mean of linen tabs attached to the inner margins of the opposite page. Hunt p. 295 and 312.
- Sl. yellowed; one movable part repaired; one movable part lacks a piece (hand of Punch). Boards sl. (dust)soiled.
= Edition "No. 3927". Hunt p. 301 and 334: "(...) an unusual Nister book, mechanical scenes operated by means of a card pull tab (...)". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- Sl. foxed/ dustsoiled; jaguar lacks tail; owner's annotation in pen and ink on upper pastedown. Backcover scratched; frontcover sl. stained along outer margin; rubbed along edges.
= Hunt p. 297 and 344.
- One tear repaired w. tape; some hinges splitting; one plate w. sm. creases; (finger)soiled. Binding sl. rubbed and soiled.
= Hunt no.855.
Push and Pull Pictures. A Novel Mechanical Picture Book. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1890), (16)p., 6 chromolithogr. plates w. movable slats that reveal another picture, orig. clothbacked chromolithogr. boards, square 8vo.
- Owner's dedication on first free endpaper; a few hinges weak; sl. duststained. Binding laminated.
= Rare. Hunt no.849.
AND 1 other published by the same: Our Floral Painting Book.
- Contents loose; two plates partly lacking movable parts; lvs. partly dam. in margins. Binding worn; cl. backstrip for the greater part worn away.
= Hunt no.635.
- A few lvs. and two plates loose; one plate w. tear; (finger)soiled; hinges weak. Board edges rubbed; covers soiled and w. remains of paper ticket (?).
= Hunt p.316.
- Sl. foxed/ duststained; tear in last free endpaper. Covers soiled. = Hunt p.330.
- Contemp. owner's dedication on first free endpaper; upper hinge weak; a few sm. tears near pulling tabs; sl. duststained and fingersoiled. Covers w. a few soiled spots. Despite defects a fine copy.
= Hunt p.330-331. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- Sl. fingersoiled. Board edges rubbed/ sl. worn. All in all a desirable copy.
= Montanero p.252. Hunt no.854.
- Rebound w. new endpapers; hinges strengthened w. paper; w. various (sm.) repairs w. tape; sl. foxed (mostly one plate). Board edges rubbed/ sl. worn.
= Hunt no.630.
- All lvs. repaired/ strengthened in inner margin w. paper; a few sm. tears near pulling tabs; sl. (finger)soiled. Binding (sl.) rubbed w. a few sm. (water)stains.
= Montanero p.316-317; Hunt p.341.
- Contents loose(ning); bookplate on upper pastedown; three scenes torn in lower part (repaired w. sellotape); trifle foxed. Spine-ends showing; cloth over spine worn; backcover partly (water)stained; frontcover sl. worn along extremities.
= Each plate consists of 2 movable discs (movable by pulling cords) and show each 2 scenes. Hunt p. 294 and 343. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Strengthened on inner hinges; 5 plates w. (sm.) (repaired) tear(s); sl. foxed. Sl. worn along extremities; covers soiled and sl. scratched.
= All plates in good working order. P. Haining, Movable books p.45; Library of Congress, Children's books, I p.839; Hunt p. 311. Very rare.
- From the library of John Landwehr w. his bookplate on pastedown and verso first free endpaper; hinges splitting; plates and lvs. repaired and strengthened w. tape; sl. (finger)soiled. A few waterstains near edges, mostly on backcover; dam. spot in backstrip; covers rubbed/ sl. worn.
= Hunt p.313.
- Hinges partly strengthened w. cl.; lower hinge broken; sl. (finger)soiled; 3 plates loose; one pulling tab replaced. Bindings sl. soiled w. waterstain on backcover; corners worn.
= Hunt p.315.