1953 - 2162 CHILDREN'S BOOKS - MOVABLE BOOKS, POP-UP AND SHAPE BOOKS
- Loosening (carefully strengthened on hinges); owner's monogram in lower inner corner lower pastedown in pen and ink; first plate severely dam. (all parts present); two plates w. some minor defects, both repaired w. sellotape; some sm. marginal tears; pulling tabs creased; otherwise all plates fine, mostly functioning properly. Both covers sl. stained; upper margin frontcover lacks sm. portion; corners showing; sl. rubbed along extremities.
= Krahé 125; Ries p.711, 49; Friedrich/ Von Katzenheim p.213-214. First English edition of Schau mich an!
- The first plate sl. fingersoiled. Wr. fingersoiled; bookseller's stamp on backcover.
= Krahé no. 85; Friedrich/ von Katzenheim p.126. So called head-bodies-legs book.
- Bookblock loose; all but one plate functioning properly; lacking two movable parts of plates (one replaced by a facsimile); all plates w. sm. (restored) marginal tears; some lvs. inner margin strengthened; some ruststains on opposite textp. from metal coils; pulling tabs creased; sl. dustsoiled. Professionally rebacked; tape ghost visible on boards along backstrip; boards browned and worn along extremities.
= Krahé 103; Ries p.710, 20; Friedrich/ Von Katzenheim p.253-255.
- One plate not functioning properly (but restorable); upper hinge partly splitting; sl. (finger)soiled/ foxed. Sl. rubbed along extremities. Otherwise a very fine copy.
= The very rare first edition of this quintessential Meggendorfer book. Krahé 138; Ries p. 710, 30; Friedrich/Von Katzenheim p.315-317. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVIII.
- Affected by damp and/ or water causing the entire book to wrinkle (despite this, the plates remain in vivid colours although the metal coils are severely rusting); five plates not functioning properly (but restorable); ruststained throughout. Frontcover waterstained w. some loss of colouring (w. later colouring); backcover lacks the paper over board; worn along extremities.
= Krahé 100; cf. Ries p.711, 44 (lists only 1st and 2nd eds.); Friedrich/ Von Katzenheim p.249-250.
- All lvs. strengthened along all margins (w. Japanese); hinges strengthened w. cloth; plates w. some (very) sm. tears; sm. tear in title-p.; owner's entry on title-p. in ballpoint and on verso last plate (w. a sm. drawing) in pen and ink. Worn along extremities.
= Swedish edition of Große Menagerie publ. by J.F. Schreiber, ±1885. A cage folds down from each panel, producing a three-dimensional image of a zoo. Very rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIX.
- Lacks one plate, otherwise fine and all in working order; one leaf lacks portion of outer margin. Bindings soiled and sl. rubbed; corners showing.
= Rare. Czech edition of Artistic Pussy and her Studio.
- A few lvs. loose; holes for the face trifle/ sl. frayed; sl. fingersoiled; face flattened. Corners worn.
= Rare. Not in the usual reference works. Upper endpapers and lower covers w. publisher's advertisements, i.a. for "New Series of Strüwelpeters". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVIII.
- Two plates w. sm. tears. Portfolio rubbed; one flap splitting at hinge.
AND 2 others by the same, i.a. Kleurkaarten (no publ., ±1945).
- Owner's entry on title-p. Corners sl. rubbed.
Idem. Winnie-the-pooh and Eeyore's tail. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1952), (7) textp. and 4 col. pop-up plates, orig. ringbound boards.
- Some annots. in pencil on title-p. Boards soiled.
= Shows an adolescent girl with flowers in front of two holding hands.
"Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd". Chromolithogr. pop-up wishing card w. 4 layers (incl. back), w. a pink crêped paper harmonica element, chromolithogr. front (turning into platform when folded out), 19,4(h.)x12,7(w.)x7,5(d.) cm., ±1890.
- A few weak spots.
= Shows an angel holding a guirlande surrounded by flowers and doves in front of a fence.
AND 8 other chromolithogr. (and gold) layered pop-up cards, all ±1890.
- One loose figure lacks sm. portion.
AND 13 other chromolithogr. cards w. movable parts, mostly late 19th cent./ early 20th cent., publ. by i.a. Au Bon Marché, Paris.
- Lacks suspension cord at top of calendar.
- Several cards sl. defective.
AND ±20 chromolithogr. cards publ. by the same.
- One leaf lacks upper and lower section; first and 2nd leaf sl. waterstained along edges; sm. tears along upper hinge. Spine dam.; wrappers loose.
- The cards mounted on contemp. stiff paper. Sm. owner's stamp on innerflap of slipcase. The sleeve worn along extremities (one corner broken but repaired w. tape) and w. some minor rubbed spots.
= The separate plates can be placed side by side to produce a wide variety [= thousands of] very fine and delicate classical landscape views. Cf. Paper Toys, p. 42-43; Van Veen Sale part I, 223 and Gumuchian 3368. Extremely rare myriorama. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- All plates in (more or less) working order; most plates repaired w. sello tape, causing various stains; pulling taps replaced; most plates strengthened on verso w. modern paper; upper hinge broken. Boards sl. soiled; rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities.
= Plates with accomp. verses below and showing two complementary/ opposite pictures: "Land en Zee"; "Oorlog - Vrede"; "Nacht en Dag"; "Zomer en Winter"; "Vuur en Water" and "Aarde en Lucht". Catalogus Beweegbare boeken (1983) 93. Rare.
- All lvs. repaired w. paperstrips along edges; a few closed tears near pulling tabs. Binding sl. soiled.
= Rare. Hunt no.615.
- Sl. foxed, mostly in margins; one plate movable parts replaced by parts from an unidentified work. Binding sl. soiled; corners worn.
= Montanero p.257. Hunt no.2281.