6162 - 6317 FINE ARTS - FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY. MAPS, PLANS and VIEWS
- A few (closed) tears in upper blank margin, otherwise fine.
"Meklenburg Ducatus". Handcol. engr. map by J. LAURENBERG, w. 3 cartouches, compass rose and coat of arms, 36x47 cm., Amst., J. Janssonius, ±1640.
- Sl. yellowed, otherwise fine. = Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 2210:1.1.
- Partly remargined; restored in centre on foldis; brownish stain in centre; (blue) waterstains in blank margins.
- Formerly folded (hardly visible).
= All three part of an unidentified series of German town views, alphabetically numbered. Realistic views with great detail. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXXI.
- "Biebrich" cut to the image, lacks number and address.
= From an unidentified series of views from Schaffhausen probably to Cologne. Views of "Rheinfall bey Schaffhausen" (1), "Mainz" (2), "Biebrich" (prob. no.3), "Bingen am Rhein" (5), "Engers und Sayn am Rhein" (7) and "Godesberg und die Siebenberge am Rhein" (9).
AND 3 others similar, prob. publ. by the same, all cut to the image, i.a. views of "Kaiser Franzensbad bei Eger" (now in the Czech Republic) and "Das neue Wachtgebäude nebst dem Zeughause in Berlin".
- Occas. sl. yellowed/ foxed/ dustsoiled.
ADDED: 2 lvs. from the same work, one w. a full-p. map of England and Scotland, the other w. a bird's eye view of Edinburgh.
- All under passepartout (but not mounted); 5 prints yellowed/ sl. browned; a few sm. scattered stains in images.
= Very rare series, showing Frankfurt am Main from different directions: "Aussicht der Stadt Fran(c)kfurt am Maijn, von der Morgen Seite(/ Abend Seite/ Mittag Seite/ Mitternacht Seite/ Wald Seite)". The dedicatory plate also has a view, from the West ('Abend Seite'). Lively views, with many people in the foreground. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXXI.
- Mounted. = Very rare view of the cathedral and the adjacent square.
- Split at outer blank ends of central fold (not affecting image), otherwise fine.
= Attractive handcolouring.
- Middle fold split and neatly closed at both ends; a few scattered, mainly marginal small stains.
= Nice map, indicating the tides and currents in the Strait of Gibraltar and w. much topographical detail on the land.
AND an engr. map "Partie Meridionale des Etats de Castille" showing the southwestern part of Spain, with the Strait of Gibraltar (by ROBERT DE VAUGONDY, 1751).
- Both w. many old surface abrasions, cracks and repairs and paper loss; both horizon rings without (lacking?) mounted engr. paper rings.
= Both globes designed by Dudley Adams' father and predecessor George. Both with dedication cartouche signed by George Adams, with Dudley's address added below. The terrestrial globe showing the tracks of Captain Cook's voyages, and New Holland and Van Diemen's Land joined. The celestial sphere showing the constellations as Mythical beasts, figures and scientific instruments, and the stars shown by magnitude.
- Horizontal middle fold split and repaired w. strips of paper on verso; sl. waterstained in right margin of image; sl. yellowed.
"Accuratissima Angliae Regni et Walliae Principatus Descriptio". Engr. map w. handcol. borders by F. DE WIT, w. cartouche, 57,5x48,5 cm., Amst., J. Covens and C. Mortier, ±1740.
- Partly yellowed, mainly in blank margins; horizontal false fold and sm. marginal tear.
"Tabula Nova complectens Praefecturas Normanniae et Britanniae, una cum Angliae, parte et Manica." Engr. map w. contemp. handcol. borders by N. VISSCHER, 47,5x56,5 cm., Amst., P. Schenk Jr., ±1730.
- Light brown stain in upper right corner.
= Depicts the Channel and the southern part of England, Brittannia and Normandy.
AND 1 other of Great Britain and Ireland: "Les Isles Britanniques qui contiennent les Royaumes d'Angleterre, Escosse, et Irlande" (contemp. handcol., Amst., J.B. Elwe, 1792. Portion of upper corner missing, sl. affecting image).
- Sl. yellowed/ browned.
- Framed between two glass plates, verso visible. Sl. browned; sm. tear at lower end of middle fold.
= Attractive and rare map of this historic county in Wales. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXXII.
- Tipped onto mount along upper margin.
- Vague old mouldstaining in lower margin/ corners; middle fold split at both ends (some loss of paper at the bottom); false folds along middle fold; chipped/ sl. frayed along margins and w. some very small holes/ tears and a few sm. stains in the image.
= Koeman IV, p.374 .
- Fine. = Van der Krogt/ Koeman 3830, 1:321/322. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CLXXII.
- Waterstained in lower corners, sl. affecting image.
= Nice map showing i.a. numerous (wild) animals (elephants, jaguars, lions, camels) and fortresses along the coast line, each bearing the flag of the country that owned it.
ADDED: 9 miscell. other maps/ views, i.a. "Nieuwe Kaart van het Oostelykste Deel der Weereld, dienende tot Aanwyzing van de Scheepstogten der Nederlanderen naar Oostindië" (engr. map, Amst., Tirion, 1755) and 2 copies of "Stedenmeeting van Europa zynde een korte aanwyzinge hoe verre de Voornaamste Steeden van Europa inzonderheit van Duitsland van malkanderen leggen" (handcol. engr. table, 2nd half 18th cent.).