5732 - 6111 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Carefully restored copy: some former vertical folds w. closed tears, some sm. closed marginal tears and a lost area of ±12x2 cm. in left margin of image filled w. new paper, w. some neat manuscript additions.
= French title at the top: "Carte tres-Comode aux Gens de Guerre, Ingenieurs & Canoniers (...)."
- Yellowed; backed w. very thin Japanese, closing a tear of ±4,5 cm. in right margin (affecting the printed area ±1,5 cm.) and a smaller one in upper margin, blank area only.
= Delteil 19, 5th state (of 7, and the final state by the artist himself). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLV.
- Vaguely foxed/ soiled; outer blank margin sl. irregularly trimmed.
AND 8 others by V. LEFEBRE (3x, i.a. The Visitation and Madonna and Child in Glory), A. VENEZIANO (The Blinding of Elymas. Vertical fold; marginal closed tears), P. GONZAGA (3x) and an engraving after MANTEGNA.
- Title-page torn in half (repaired); "Morte" closed tear in upper margin; 4 plates partly soiled; occas. sl. foxed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVI.
- Trimmed to/ within the platemark, occas. affecting engraver's address; "Januarius" (vaguely) waterstained; the other prints occas. waterstained in corners; "Julius" w. sm. marginal tear; "Augustus" w. sm. repaired tear/ dam. in lower corner; "Aprilis" w. portion of upper corner reattached.
AND an etching by C.L. HANSEN (1765-1840) showing a farmstead, a young woman with a child and a dog in the foreground.
- All plates w. glue-stains in corners from former mounting, shining through; a few plates w. sm. tear or dam. spots (one repaired w. tape on verso); no.7 and 9 w. sm. holes; two plates tipped onto mount.
= Hollstein 249-261. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVI.
- All plates w. gluestains on verso (some shining through).
= Set of 12 engravings to each month displaying various Dutch entertainments such as ice-skating and the December celebration of Sint Nicolaas. F.M. 3997.
- One print torn in lower left corner; all trimmed to/ just within the borderline and tipped onto old paper mount; title-engr. w. a few sm. pink stains; mounts sl. foxed (engravings occas. w. a few foxed specks).
= Reduced-size copies? Cf. Hollstein (Mousyn or Mouzyn) 6 (21,3x27,3 cm., two states, w. the addresses of C. de Jonghe/ N. Visscher, not Allardt); Hollstein (after Holsteyn) 30-35 (sizes ident., state w. address of C. de Jonghe only).
- Ample margins; a few vague foxed spots. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVI.
AND 2 contemp. handcol. engravings with butterflies.
- Tears on/ near middle-fold; 2 oblique folds. = New Hollstein 1, the 3rd state (of 3).
AND 16 other etchings and engravings, i.a. by C. and F. BLOEMAERT, P. DE JODE and S.A. BOLSWERT.
- Cut to/ on the framing line; lower margin partly cut away, except for the addresses.
= From the series Hollstein 76-111, 2nd or 3rd state of 5, with the Bonenfant address.
Idem. (The angel with Hagar and Ismael in a rocky landscape). Etching from the same series, 23x30,9 cm., w. the address of Bonenfant.
- Cut to the image; two printing flaws; tiny tear near upper edge.
= From the series Hollstein 76-111, 3rd state of 5, with the Bonenfant address and number.
- Doubled; trimmed to the borderline; right margin cut sl. short; left corners torn.
= The title for the 2nd part of the series. Hollstein 41, the 3rd state (of 5).
Idem. The 'Vrijheijt', a man-of-war and the 'Hazewind', a merchantman for Spain. Etching from the same series, 12,5x21 cm., engr. caption and numb. "8" below image.
- Doubled. = Hollstein 43, copy in reverse (a).
AND 1 other etching by the same: The Apple Market (Hollstein 18; copy with English caption).
- Modern impression. = Hollstein/ Godefroy 24, 5th state of 5.
AND 1 other by the same: Bust of a laughing peasant (etching, monogrammed "A.o." in the plate. Hollstein/ Godefroy 4, 9th and final state. Modern impression).
- Strong impression on thin paper with broad margins, watermark fleur de lys in crowned escutcheon; a few sm. inkstains, mostly in blank margins (1x touching image and a few sm. specks in caption below image); a few inkstains on verso (not visible on recto). Fine copy.
= Hollstein/ Godefroy 32, the 9th or 10th state (of 12). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVII.
- Impression on 18th cent. (?) paper. Margins ±3-5 mm.; trifle yellowed and a few foxed specks in periphery.
= Hollstein/ Godefroy 9, 4th and final state. Vague unidentified collector's stamp on verso.
- Fine impression w. small margins; trifle browned.
= Hollstein/ Godefroy 19, the 5th state (of 7), probably from the Pickart edition shortly before 1700.