5732 - 6111 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Fine impression, trimmed just outside/ on the platemark; margins strengthened w. tape on verso (not visible on recto).
= Hollstein/ Godefroy 24a, the 3rd state (of 5), before the strengthening of the borderline. With the collector's stamps of an unidentified collector and Quiring (Lugt 620a and 1041c).
- Lacks plates no. 5 and 6; one plate stained; sl. soiled; formerly mounted.
= Etchings either from the series of six landscapes with cottages and figures or the series of six landscapes with animals and figures (Wurzbach 1 and 2).
- Both cut to the platemark; a few spots; sl;. fingersoiled.
= Two prints of the series of four evangelists. Hollstein 218 and 219.
- Verso traces of former mounting. = With collector's mark of C.D. Ginsburg on verso (Lugt 1145).
- Lacks engr. title-p. and 91 engravings; occas. trifle foxed/ creased/ stained (mainly) in margins; one view ("Le pont Notre Dame et le Quay Pelletier") w. some surface dam. due to (vague) waterstain. Spine-ends dam.; corners showing; edges rubbed.
= Kat. Orn. Berlin 2483. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVII.
BOUND WITH: Idem. Veues de Rome. Ibid., idem, (±1680), 16 engravings on 16 lvs., 16,5x22,7 cm., titled and with the addresses of Langlois and Perelle engraved below the image (Kat. Orn. Berlin 2483/ 2675). - AND WITH: 2 engravings by the same (of Venice and Madrid).
- Tipped onto mounts, occas. margins cut short.
= One of the earlier lithographs, originally published in a portfolio with text leaves by N. Vogt (Frankf. a.M., Hermann). Winkler 611.3-26.
= All early and large lithographs. I.a. Winkler 622.26 (Selfportrait Anthony van Dyck).
- The engravings only, without the text part; sl. foxed. Frontcover knacked and loose.
= Rossetti 8205.
- Partly foxed, especially in blank margins. = Focillon 537; WIlton-Ely 671.
- Both on heavy, untrimmed paper, the first without watermark, the second w. doubly encircled fleur de lis watermark (contemp. impression); both w. waterstain in upper outer blank corner.
= Wilton-Ely 379/ 390; Focillon 344/ 255.
- Trifle yellowed/ foxed in image, sl. foxed in blank margins.
= Decorative view of the inlet. The series comprises in total a title-p. and 9 large plates. Wilton-Ely 620, Focillon 487.
AND the large "Tav. III" from the same series, also titled "Dimostrazioni dell'Emissario (...)" showing sections, diagrams, elevations, and views w. people at work (trifle foxed).
- Closed tear in lower right corner, running ±2 cm. into image.
= Decorative view of the substructure of the inlet. The series comprises in total a title-p. and 9 large plates. Wilton-Ely 621, Focillon 488.
AND "Tav. II" and "Tav. IV" from the same series, both titled "Dimostrazioni dell'Emissario (...)", both showing diagrams, plans, elevations and sections, many showing people at work (all fine, only a few specks).
- Fine, contemp. impression on heavy, untrimmed paper w. doubly encircled fleur de lis watermark; waterstained in both upper blank corners, sl. affecting the image in upper left corner; otherwise blak margins trifle/ sl. yellowed/ foxed.
= Wilton-Ely 471; Focillon 338. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVIII.
- Trifle yellowed/ foxed.
= Antique fragments from Albano, with inset view of Lake Albano and Castel Gandolfo on its shore. The series comprises in total a title-p., dedic. page and 27 large plates. Wilton-Ely 642, Focillon 509.
AND "Tav. XI" and "Tav. XII" from the same series, showing a plan and constructional diagrams of the amphitheatre erected by Domitian (1x double-p., 1x full-p., both fine).
- Fine copy, on paper w. Fleur de lis watermark.
= Plan of the Via Appia w. elevations of building alongside it. Wilton-Ely 423 (cf. watermark R33-40, ±1760-1790); Focillon 288.
AND no. VII from the same volume (full-p. etching showing Via Appia pavement).
- Both on paper w. Fleur de lis watermark. Both trifle/ sl. yellowed.
= Wilton-Ely 508 and 509 (cf. watermark R33-40, ±1760-1790); Focillon 375 and 376.
- The first on paper w. Fleur de lis watermark. The second partly trifle foxed in corners of image and sl. foxed in blank margins.
= Wilton-Ely 508 (watermark R32, 1756-1761) and 510; Focillon 375 and 377.
- On paper w. Fleur de lis watermark. = Wilton-Ely 44 (cf. watermark R33-40, ±1760-1790); Focillon 121.
AND 4 others by the same: "Osservationi di Gio. Battista Piranesi sopra la Lettre de M. Mariette (...)" (etched title-p. for the eponymous work), "Section of the Window-side of the Anti-room (...)" (two etched sections on 1 leaf after R. ADAM, from The Works in Architecture of Robert and James Adam) and "Schema lapidum (...)" and "Romae in aedibus Barberinorum" (2 textlvs. from Lapides Capitolini, each w. half-p. etched vignette) (W.-E. 799/ 1012/ 555/ 556; F. 967/ not in F./ 423/ 424).
- On heavy laid paper w. very vague Fleur de lis(?) watermark. Fine copy.
= Wilton-Ely 389 (watermark ?); Focillon 254.
AND 4 others from the same series: Tom. II no. XXVII "Pianta del Sepolcro de' Scipioni"; Tom. II no. XXXI "Pianta del Sepolcro di Alessandro Severo"; Tom. IV no. V "Pianta dell'Avanzo del Mausoleo di Adriano Imp.re ridotto poi in Fortezza, ed ora chiamata Castel Sant'Angelo" and Tom. IV no. XIII "Veduta dell'avanzo di una delle Pile del Ponte Trionfale composta di travertini, peperini, e tufi (...)" (all single-p., 2x w. Fleur de lis watermark).
- Fine, contemp. impression on heavy, untrimmed paper w. doubly encircled fleur de lis watermark; two waterstains in blank margins
= Wilton-Ely 389; Focillon 254.
AND no. XXXVII from the same work: "Spaccato del Sepolcro antecedente [situato sull'antica Via Appia vicino alla Vigna Buonamici]" (contemp. impression; sl. yellowed; W.-E. 393).