5340 - 5610 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Upper margin w. some sm. closed tears and waterstains, and remnants of mounting on verso; some sl. foxing; sm. chip in lower edge; vague (later) ms. number in lower right corner.
= Very nicely drawn. A signpost in the centre leads the "weg nae het veer". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CIX.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Oblique fold in upper corner; sl. vaguely foxed.
AND over 15 miscellaneous other drawings of people, 18th-20th cent., mainly anonymous, some signed (but partly signature unread), i.a. 2 fine studies on light blue paper, one showing a seated young woman with a book in her hands, the other a seated gentleman in 17th cent. dress reading a letter, a very detailed small portrait of a gentleman (pen and ink and grey wash, signed or identified "A.C.A. Valois 1841") and a large chalk sketch of a military gentleman leaning against a cannon.
- Some pieces of paint flaked off. Without frame.
AND 17 miscell. drawings, i.a. a charcoal drawing of a village along a lake by C. VAN WANING.
- Thin spots; restored dam. in both upper corners; doubled with Japanese.
= With unidentified collector's mark (L.3342) in lower right corner.
- Lower outer right corner sl. dam.
AND 6 other drawings, partly anonymous, i.a. a view of an Amsterdam house by C. NEFKENS (col. crayon) and "Damrak" by E. DOEVE (pen and ink, signed, titled and dated "4 September 1948", the date on which Queen Wilhelmina abdicated).
- Stain in right margin; remnants of tipping-on mount on verso in upper margin.
= The stately tomb of Engelbrecht I van Nassau to the left.
- Portion of upper left corner lacking; sm. tear in left margin; trifle foxed.
= Nice drawing of a festoon showing a harp and with 'Hellas' in Greek letters, hanging from a classical pilaster.
AND 11 others, all 2nd half 19th/ early 20th cent., i.a. 5 anonymous designs for amphora-shaped vases (pen and black ink, watercolour and gold (4x), 2x heightened w. white, each ±25x18 cm.), an anonymous pencil drawing showing a stone acanthus leaf ornament and 2 colour pencil/ crayon drawings of city mansion gardens by HENRIETTE DE VRIES (both signed, 1x on verso).
- Sl. browned.
- Trifle yellowed. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Waterst.; trifle foxed. = Titled and w. attribution in pencil on verso.
- On paper w. watermark "IV"or "VI". Margins sl. frayed; sm. stain in lower right corner.
= Curious drawing, satirizing a religious strife, possibly the vehement and riotous disagreement between the Remontrants and the Counter Remonstrants during the so-called "Goudse affaire", in which the Remonstrant ministers in Gouda were ousted by the Synod of Dordrecht and the minority Counter Remonstrants became the dominant power in Gouda. The drawing shows i.a. a harnessed man licking the behind of a man seated in a pulpit, the owl sitting on the latter man's hat defecating on the harnessed man's tongue, and various devilish creatures incl. a devil-like figure standing beside a scholar and showing a cookery (or black magic?) book. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
= Identification of scene on verso frame. The frame comes with the artist's wax seal on verso (monogram "TC"). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Glued behind passepartout along margins (not mounted). The entire drawing measures about 18x27 cm. and is sl. dam. in one corner from pulling loose from passepartout.
- Mount sl. foxed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.