5340 - 5610 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Partly frayed/ partly dustsoiled and w. handling creases.
AND 1 similar watercolour by the same w. the same defects.
= Artist identified on verso of part of the drawings, but not traced.
- Vaguely waterstained.
- Unfinished drawing. = With attribution in pencil on verso.
Anonymous (18th cent.). "Enige gesigten der stad Amsterdam. Gragt van de stadswal na de Jodekerk". "Oostindisch huis en werf". Two drawings, red crayon, both 11x15 cm.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Remains of glue on verso in corners from former tipping in. Otherwise fine.
= Very vivid and dynamic watercolours of the battle between the joint armies of Russia and Romania and the Turkish army. The Ottoman-Russian war of 1877 was the last of a long series of conflicts between Russia and Turkey. Nothing could be traced on the artist. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVII.
- Sl. browned; lacking sm. portion of upper corners.
- Yellowed; sl. dustsoiled; sm. scratch to the surface near right eye.
- Laid down on 20th cent. board.
- Sl. foxed in margins.
= Nice sketch. Artist identified on verso passepartout, and w. "Schotel (...) maakte met Willem I reis naar Indië en vervaardigde vele scheepstekeningen".
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
- Trifle foxed; tiny tear in lower right corner, sl. affecting caption; tipped onto mount.
= Exquisite miniature drawing, w. attribution to J.C. Sepp and "this drawing is a study for a plate in "De Nederlandsche Insecten", vol IV pl. 40, in reverse "A Hawkmoth pupa"" in pencil on mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXVIII.
= Comprising i.a. a portrait within an oval yellow and orange border topped by a knot: "Hubertus van Kortenhoef" and a portrait within a pink rectangular frame w. knot and guirlandes: "Jacobus Hinlopen".
AND 15 engr. silhouette portraits.
- Pin holes in corners; trifle foxed/ stained in top corners.
AND 5 other anonymous 19th cent. drawings of ships, various sizes.
- Tipped at upper corners onto (contemp.) limp mount w. "Theodorus Soeterik (1810-" in pen and ink.
= Fine drawing. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXIX.
= Nice drawing, titled (vaguely) on verso in old hand in pen and ink on verso.
AND 2 anonymous 18th cent. oval drawings, both pen and ink and grey wash, one showing a country road with three figures and a farmhouse in the bend, a church tower behind the trees (12,7x17 cm.), the other a country road with two figures passing underneath a partly ruinous city(?) gate (9x12 cm.).