5340 - 5610 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Trifle foxed/ smudged; partly doubled (except for the drawing on verso); under later passepartout.
= Nice drawing, with (partly unread) captions: "Dieses Screib ich meijnen gutten freundt Gabriel Eichenlaub zur gedächtniss. Sebastian Zegele Von Dachauw[?]. Des [... ...] Regiments Fendrich." (below); "Frisch dran, Frölich darvon. Prudenter, et Circumspecte" (above). On verso a curious drawing showing a man half clad as lansquenet, half as some kind of notable: "Vormittags Pfaff[?], Nachmittags lands-knecht" (below); "Mel in ore, fel in corde" (above).
- Vague stain in foreground to the left of the horses; two sm. (closed) holes sm. closed hole to the right of the tree on the left.
= Attractive view of one of the more formidable city gates of Haarlem (demolished in 1824). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE C.
- Yellowed; a few rubbed spots. = A fine portrait of a well to do, boyish young man.
= Attractive drawing.
Anonymous (18th cent.). (A view of Woudrichem). Watercolour, 8,2x12,2 cm., within black framing line.
- Duststained and sl. creased w. wear. Sold w.a.f.
AND 3 others, i.a. an anonymous early 19th cent. view of a river w. rowing boats and houses along the water (grey wash and brush, 15x22,4 cm.).
- A few watercolour specks; rubbed spot in upper blank margin.
AND 11 miscell. other drawings, mainly early 20th cent., i.a. by E. HOUBOLT (watercolour of a Japanese figure), 2 (col.) crayon drawings attributed to G. COSTETTI and a col. crayon drawing by M. VAN DEN BERG.
- A few closed sm. tears; a few dam. spots, redrawn. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE C.
- On paper with Amsterdam watermark. Trifle spotted; small tear in left blank margin, touching framing line.
- On paper with watermark of a posthorn in a coat of arms, with monogram "G.M." below. Some wrinkling and a few tiny holes; trifle stained.
= On paper with Strasbourg Lily watermark. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CI.
AND 2 others, both anonymous studies for ceiling paintings, late 18th cent./ early 19th cent., i.a. (A group of six putti in the sky) (watercolour, 22x26 cm. Sl. foxed/ stained).
- Sl. foxed/ browned; a few tiny superficial scratches.
- Thin spots in three corners from former tipping in (1x with a tiny hole).
= On paper with Van de Ley watermark (lower half of Heawood 1833). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CI.
- Tipped onto mount; sm. dam. spot in left margin and sm. tear in right margin; trifle yellowed/ spotted.
= Very nice drawing, possibly showing the Rhine.
= Skillful drawing, probably after a painting.
AND 21 other drawings showing human figures, mainly anonymous, 17th-19th cent., i.a. 17th cent. part of a drawing after the etching by H. Goltzius showing the dragon devouring the brothers of Cadmus (pen and brown ink), an 18th cent. portrait of a man en profil after J. de Braij (pencil and red chalk), a child's head en profil signed "D.A. de Castro 11de Junij 1809" (red chalk), a boy letting a bird fly attached to a rope (black and red chalk) and 4 silhouettes (loose in fold. paper leaf w. "Op gemaakte silhouetten" on front) and a company watching the pojection of a magic lantern (±1850, possibly a handcol. lithograph(?)).
- Tiny chip in top margin; vague fold in both lower corners.
= Possibly illustrating the story of St Hilarion, who "cured" a young woman who came to him on account of her infertility. Fine drawing. On paper with a "Vryheyt" watermark. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CII.
- Sl. naive drawing w. a few tiny brown spots.
AND 21 other miscell. drawings, 18th-20th cent., various sizes and techniques, i.a. some full-length portraits by W.J. TROOSTWYK, E. MEHLER and W. VAN DER VLIET.
- On paper w. crowned Strasbourg lily watermark (and unread name). Horizontal fold; a few sm. marginal tears; some creases.
- On paper w. watermark w. crowned escutcheon w. a fleur de lys, "4", "WR" and (in italics) "AI"/ "AJ" below.
- Sl. dam. in upper outer margin (without loss of image, but inside framing line).
= Probably a design for a wallpaper panel, paper with watermark of "N.V. Vorster".
AND 1 other anonymous drawing, 19th cent.: "Vriendschap is een schoone parel, kostbaar door haar zeldzaamheid" (watercolour, 9,5x15,7 cm., on cut-out oval leaf, laid down on (browned) mount).
- On paper with Pro Patria and C&I Honig watermark. Vertical fold; some (sm.) marginal tears; sl. stained in right margin.
- Small repaired spot in image just below group of houses on the left. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CII.