2865 - 3576 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Partly vaguely waterstained at the beginning; upper hinge showing; lower hinge strengthened. Binding worn along extremities.
- First free endpaper loose; upper hinge weak. = Geerebaert CXI, 41 II.
BOUND WITH: Bake, L. Mengel-poëzy. Amst., P. Visser and J. Hartig, 1737, (26),142p., engr. portrait. Zeeus, J. Overgebleve gedichten. Amst., A. Schoonenburg, 1737, 2nd ed., XLIII,(1),(39),288,LIIIp., engr. portrait, 2 engr. div. titles, 2 dedic. vignettes, contemp. vellum, 4to.
- Occas. sl. waterstained and/ or foxed in blank margin. A few old scratches on frontcover.
= Willems 1409 (but our copy without the 10 unnumb. leaves with the notes by Graevius); Rahir 1484.
AND 1 other by the same: In historias Trogi Pompeii Epitomarum. Ed. M. Bernegger (Strassb., 1662, engr. title-p., contemp. vellum, sm. 8vo. Old library stamp on letterpress title-p.; contemp. annots. in pen in text).
- Upper hinge weak; occas. trifle foxed/ yellowed; some annots. in blank margins. Joint split at top.
= Schweiger I, p.510.
- Lacks frontisp.; upper hinge broken. Top of spine dam.; upper joint starting; binding chafed and rubbed along extremities.
= Schweiger p.511.
Cicero, M.T. De Officii libri tres. Ed. J.F. Heusinger. Brunswick, Orphanotrophei ducalis bibliopolio, 1783, LXX,(2),812,(44)p., later gilt hcalf w. mor. letterpiece.
- Sl. yellowed. Binding sl. chafed along extremities. = Schweiger p.205: "Neue schätzbare Recens".
AND 1 other.
- Backstrip damaged (affecting backcover). Contents fine. = Contemp. owner's entry in lower margin of title-p.
- Contemp. annot. on title-p. "Van den schrijver". Corners showing.
- Bookplate and 2 sm. library stamps on verso of title-p.; two sm. later annots. in pen and ink on upper pastedown; partly waterstained in lower margin. Upper part of lower joint wormholed; vellum sl. stained.
= Goedeke II, 112, 187.
- Approx. 20p. w. old annotations in pen and ink in margins. Otherwise fine.
= Schweiger p.610; for the binding: Spoelder 5.
- Bookplate on upper pastedowm; contents sl. fingersoiled in lower blank margin; last 15 pages sl. waterstained in outer margin (last 3 heavily).
= Graesse IV, p.590.
- Contents fine. Lacks ties; bindings trifle/ sl. worn along extremities.
= Spoelder 4; Camus 455 (other eds.). The best ed. with notes and addenda by O. Reitzius.
- Hinges weak; last 38 lvs. sl. browned; lacks the prize. Upper joint split; lower joint split at foot; gilt on both covers faded; spine w. remnants of tape; binding soiled.
= Brunet V, 455; Schweiger 224; Dibdin p.272-273; Hoffman p.49; Spoelder Utrecht 6.
- Without prize; sm. owner's entry on first blank; final 20 pages and index pages dampstained in lower margin. Vertical brown line on back cover.
= New edition of the ed. Leyden, 1727. Dibdin II, p.281 (ed. 1727): "This is the celebrated edition of Burman (...)"; Schweiger III, p.736 (ed. 1727): "Werthvolle Ausg. (...)". On the binding: Spoelder 1.
- Library stamp on title-p. and two stamps on verso of title-p.; partly sl. browned/ foxed. Binding rubbed, backcover w. scratches; archive ticket at foot of spine; upper joint splitting at top.
= Schweiger p.231; Spoelder 4.
- Spines sl. rubbed.
AND 2 others: N.L.M. DESESSARTS, Galerie des orateurs Grecs et Latins, ou Tableau des effets de l'éloquence chez les Anciens (Paris, 1806, engr. portraits, sl. later hcalf) and O. GOLDSMITH, History of Greece abridged for the use of schools (Amst., 1804, contemp. hcalf).
- Bookblock broken; first and last few lvs. waterstained in lower margin; hinges strengthened w. paper. Lacks backstrip; binding dam. along extremities.
- Bookplate and library-ticket on upper pastedown; (crossed out) contemp. owner's entry on title-p.; browned throughout. Spine w. sm. wormholes.
= Attractive binding. Cf. Adams R376 (ed. 1584); Brunet IV, 1253 (note); BM STC German Books p.732. Important work containing many medieval sources concerning the kings and emperors of the Germanic world in first printed edition. I.a. by Einhardus (on the life of Carolus Magnus), Johannes Turpinus (on Carolus Magnus and Roland), Rosowitha (on Otto the Great), Robertus Remensis (on the first crusade and Richardus Bartholinus) and chapters describing the life of Heinrich IV and the deeds of Heinrich VII.
- A few lvs. sl. wormholed in lower margin; otherwise fine.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; endpapers partly browned; first blank loose. Binding rubbed along extremities; upper joint splitting.
= Gaskell 400.