2865 - 3576 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Occas. (sl.) foxed/ (sl.) browned; occas. waterstained in blank margins; upper hinge broken but holding on cords; both pastedowns loose; 19th cent. ms. genealogy of family Lamping tipped onto first blank. Upper joint split w. some loss of leather; spine-ends dam.
= For the worldmap by D. Stoopendaal: Shirley no. 431 and 498.
- Yellowed; sm. waterstain in outer margin at the beginning and partly waterstained in lower outer blank corner. Rebound (in the 19th cent.), w. use of most of orig. leather, but w. 19th cent. letterpiece; rubbed along extremities; corners showing; covers w. some scratches.
= First edition of the bible of the Dutch Old Catholics. Darlow/ Moule 3345. Poortman I, p. 135-136: "(...) wat voor de Rooms-Katholieken de Moerentorfbijbel was en voor de Protestanten de Statenvertaling, werd voor de Oud-Katholieken de bijbel van 1732". With 2 duplicates of the frontisp. bound in, both with the letterpres Verklaering (both in fine condition).
- Lacks the second map, showing the Old World, but EXTRA-ILLUSTRATED with 256 ills. originally published two by two as a children's print bible. Some fingersoiling and a few closed marginal tears; minor foxing/ marginal waterstaining; frontisp. and some lvs. restored along margins; the maps partly weak impressions. Binding restored along extremities; new endpapers.
= Poortman I, p.248 and cf. p.162 (1758 Dichttafereelen) for a reference to the plates; not all 300 ills./ plates have been used in the present copy. Darlow/ Moule 3350 (4to ed., with the maps only).
- Lacks 3 plates; waterstained; hinges broken. Joints splitting; spine-ends dam.
= Poortman I, p.248. Rare.
- New endpapers; owner's entry on upper pastedown/ first blank; occas. trifle foxed. Spine-ends sl. worn.
= Poortman p. 249.
- Engr. title vaguely waterstained in outer margins; trifle yellowed/ foxed. Binding lacks orig. clasps and catches; sl. rubbed; spine sl. creased.
AND 1 other: Het Boek der Psalmen, nevens de Gezangen bij de Hervormde Kerk van Nederland in gebruik (Haarlem, 1780, contemp. (worn/ dam.) stiff wr. Contents fine).
- Both vols. lacking several plates; both vols. partly waterstained (incl. a few plates), w. sm. stamp on engr. title and last leaf and (sl.) thumbed/ soiled/ (sl.) yellowed/ browned; the New Testament vol. w. old owner's entry on first free endpaper in pen and ink. Binding vol. II heavily dam. but partly repaired. Sold. w.a.f.
= Poortman IIa, p.49-55. Rare Antwerp printbible.
- Lacks 1 bird's eye view ("Temple de Jerusalem" present); occas. foxed/ sl. browned; one plate outer blank margin remargined. Binding rubbed and sl. scratched.
= On this printbible of Basnage and Alewyn, which went through 10 editions between 1705 and 1721, in extenso Poortman II, p.109-120. Landwehr, R. de H. as book ill. 100; Hollstein IX, 2; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 40; Klaversma/ Hannema 130.
- Sl. yellowed/ foxed and w. a few scattered sm. stains; (sm.) tear in upper inner corner of engr. title. Binding sl. worn; frontcover loose.
= Poortman II, p.68. Justus Danckerts to the reader: "En terwijl mijn Vader Cornelis Dankerts Zaliger, voor dezen de Bybelse Figuren, na de inventie van Mathys Meriaan heeft in druk uitgegeven in vyfderlei spraken (...) zo heeft het mijn opgewekt, om die op de zelve manier in octavo uit te geven, dog met andere Franse vaarsen (...) als de vorige, en gehele andere Figuren, die my om de goede tekening en nieuwe ordonnantie bewogen hebben, dit klein dog aangenaam werkje by der hand te vatten, en en [sic] het zelve door mijn zoon Cornelis Dankerts in 't Koper te laten maken (...)." The French source for this publication is not known. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- Some marginal waterstaining towards the end, not affecting printed area; occas. trifle spotted/ waterstained; otherwise contents fine. Binding soiled and stained; lower joint splitting but strong.
= The very rare first edition of the small Mortier-bible or Jan Luykenbible (151 textills. and 29 oval vignettes being by this artist). Poortman II, p.133-134; Klaversma/ Hannema 183-184; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 384. Only 1 copy in NCC and no copies in JAP in the past 25 years. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
- Lacks 2 maps and page 'Op het Beeld-en-Ryk-vercierde Bybel-werk'; 1 map cut short; dedication misbound; a few lvs. restored in margin w. brown paper/ waterst.; endpapers browned. Binding worn along extremities.
= Landwehr, R.d.H. as bookillustrator 100.
- Fine copy, w. only a few sl. yellowed (text)leaves and w. a later facs. plate tipped-in.
= This second edition similar to the first edition of 1708, but enlarged with 2 pages of accompanying text to every print and with 5 engraved maps and 29 oval (and 1 not oval) vignettes of the "Grooten Bybel" of Mortier (1700). One of the most monumental works by Jan Luiken. Klaversma/ Hannema 160/ 161; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 429, p.666; Poortman II, p.131. On the worldmap by I. van Huchtenburg and with the address of Covens and Mortier, Shirley 622: "A further world map by Pierre Mortier has the title in French and Dutch and is said to be from a biblical work so far unidentified. Across the top of the map are five circles showing Night and Day, the Flood, the phases of the moon, and the west and east hemispheres." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
- One leaf lacking part of lower outer corner, affecting text below image; lower inner blank corner w. sm. wormholes throughout and partly w. waterstain; the two title-pages yellowed(/ sl. foxed); hinges showing. Upper joint split but strong on cords; foot of spine dam., w. missing portion of backstrip.
= The second edition of the so-called "Kleine bijbel van Mortier" (first published in 1703). Klaversma/ Hannema 185/ 192; cf. Poortman p.35ff.
- Occas. (sl.) yellowed (textlvs. more often than plates). Bindings worn along extremities; vol. 1 spine-ends chipped/ sl. dam.
= Ebert 20371; Poortman II, p.139-145. Sumptuous printbible, the so-called "Prent-bijbel van Pieter de Hondt". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
- Two plates w. repaired tear; occas. waterstained in lower outer corner, sl. affecting some plates; partly yellowed, a few plates sl. browned; first frontisp. sl. waterstained in upper part and w. some vague scribblings in blue pencil. Rebacked/ rebound w. use of orig. backstrip.
= Ebert 20371; Poortman II, p.139-145. Sumptuous printbible, the so-called "Prent-bijbel van Pieter de Hondt".
- Contemp./ modern annots./ clumsy green pencil colouring/ stamp scattered over pastedowns and title-p.; title-p. lacking part of lower margin; last 7 lvs. marginally waterst.; sl. foxed. Spine-ends and corners (sl.) worn/ repaired; a few sm. holes.
= Each virtue is identified: (frontcover:) "Iusticia", "Prudencia", "Fortitudo", "Temperancia", (backcover:) "Fides", "Spes", "Caritas", "Paciencia".
- Endpapers and title-p. w. scattered annots. Edges covers worn/ occas. sl. dam.; foot of spine worn; top of spine dam.; scratch on backcover.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVII.
- First leaf loosening.
= Four leaves used, w. (later/ modern) annots. in fountain pen and pencil on the marks on European Chinaware.
- Hinges weak; a few lvs. loose(ning). Covers trifle rubbed; spine wormholed; spine-ends sl. dam.
BOUND WITH: 1 other Italian work. - ADDED: 1 other.
- Contents fine. Central coat of arms on frontcover printed on piece of leather laid in place of the original material; sl. worm-eaten at spine-ends/ corners of covers.