2238 - 2489 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Textp. occas. sl. foxed and sl. waterstained towards the end; a few textp. w. several sm. closed tears; plates mostly fine and clean, but final 8 plates w. vague waterstain in lower outer corner. Corners worn.
= Rare and attractively illustrated periodical. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- Spines sl. dustsoiled. Otherwise fine copies.
Idem. Transhimalaja. Ibid., idem, 1909, 2 (of 3) vols., 1st German ed., XVIII,405; X,406p., frontisp. portr., 3 fold. col. maps, num. (fold.) (col.) photogr. plates, orig. unif. cl. w. mounted col. plate.
- Without the 1913 supplement vol. Both vols. hinges splitting; some lvs. loosening; inner margins stained.
AND 2 others.
- Sl. later manuscript annot. on first free endpaper; occas. trifle foxed. Joints trifle worn.
Ollone, H.J. Les Derniers Barbares. Chine, Tibet, Mongolie. Ibid., P. Lafitte & Cie, 1911, (4),VI,372,(1)p., photogr. frontisp. portrait, 4 fold. woodengr. maps, num. (photogr.) plates and ills., contemp. giltlettered hmor., 4to.
- First quires loose. Spine sunned.
- Hinges loosening; trifle foxed. Covers worn along extremities.
- Contents very fine (a few leaves yellowed). Joints splitting; top of spine partly sl. dam.; joints and spine-ends rubbed.
- Hinges weak; sl. foxed; a few lvs. w. vague brownish stains. Covers sl. rubbed.
- Some sm. scattered stains on frontcover; spine-ends trifle worn. Fine copy.
= Koeman VI, BosP A11.
AND 13 col. lithogr. maps bound together probably from various eds. of H. SELVES, Atlas Géographique (Paris, 1822-1825, contemp. (worn) boards).
- Contents yellowed. Corners showing; upper joint splitting at spine-ends.
= Rare complete atlas.
Drioux and Leroy, Ch. Atlas universel et classique de géographie ancienne, romaine, du moyen age, moderne et contemporaine. Paris, Librairie d'Eugène, 1875, nouvelle ed., VII,(1)p., 51 double-p/ fold. (col.) engr. maps (partly w. 2 or more maps on one plate), contemp. gilt hmor., 4to.
- Owner's entry on pastedown; hinges partly splitting; a few maps sl. worn. Corners showing; edges worn; spine sl. dam.
- Lacks 1 map; a few maps trifle foxed/stained; a few lvs. marginal damages strengthened w. paper; hinges weak. Covers occas. rubbed.
= Rare atlas. Not completely conform Koeman II, Gee 3, which has other addresses on a few maps and gives a publisher and a place on the title-p.
- Occas. sl. foxed; plate no. 18 loose (sl. frayed in outer blank margin), first free endpaper torn. Spine-ends sl. torn, sm. hole in backstrip, covers sl. worn along extremities.
= Rare atlas (no copies in NCC) depicting the course of the Rhine, Lek and Maas in the Netherlands.
- Yellowed; sl. foxed; one map w. sm. tear in blank outer margin. Lacks backstrip (but preserved); corners showing.
- Lacks 20(?) plates; bookplate on upper pastedown; two plates w. vague waterstains in lower blank margin; occas. a sm. foxed spot; contents otherwise very fine. Top of spine chipped.
= Comprises a very fine map of Italy; plans of Turin, Milan, Parma, Bologne, Rome, Florence, Naples and Venice; a future design of a new city and views of the St. Peter's Basilica, the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Colonna. Graesse IV, p.81 (ed. 1769); Brunet III, p.777 (ed. 1786); Cicognara 4140 (ed. 1769). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- One map repaired along margins; text-p. trifle foxed. Frontcover foxed.
AND 7 others, i.a. A.A. BEEKMAN and R. SCHUILING, Schoolatlas van de geheele aarde (Zutphen, n.d. (±1900), 53 col. (double-p.) lithogr. maps, contemp. hcl., folio. (Hinges weak; sl. foxed); TH. VON LIECHTENSTERN and H. LANGES, Schul-atlas zum Unterricht in der Erdkunde für den Gebrauch der Obern Klassen der Lehranstalten (Braunschweig, 1873, 24th rev. ed., 45 handcol. lithogr. maps, contemp. hmor., obl. 4to. (Sl. foxed; rebacked, partly w. use of orig. spine); J.B. KAN, Historisch-geographische Atlas ten gebruike bij Streckfuss, Geschiedenis der Wereld (Leyden, 1867, 30 handcol. lithogr. maps, orig. clothbacked boards, obl. 4to). - AND 5 "stafkaarten".
- Title-p. heavily waterstained; partly waterstained in upper and inner margin; edges sl. frayed. Foot of spine and corners dam.; paper over boards worn.
= Contains i.a. a large worldmap and a map of the Americas.
- Trifle foxed; hinges (almost) broken and contents loose(ning). Backstrip dam.
= Koeman III, Vet 1. Rare.
- One map dam. (torn in half, one leaf loose); two large tears in central fold of map of the Netherlands; title-p. waterstained; most maps trifle/ sl. foxed; central fold of 16 maps split at bottom and/ or top (a few times running into image); old owner's entry on first free endpaper. Covers heavily worn w. parts lacking; backstrip heavily dam.
= Attractive and rare atlas. Some maps w. lithogr. "IIe druk", "derde druk"/ "IIIe druk" or "IVe druk". Koeman II, Wijk 2. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXII.
- Occas. sl. yellowed/ browned. Backstrips partly worn away; vol. 1 covers loose(ning); all vols. w. "Australië" in later pen and ink on frontcover.
= Rare Dutch translation of A Voyage to Terra Australis (London, 1814). Ferguson 602; Robert 340; cf. Hill 614; Howgego F11. "Flinders was the first commander to circumnavigate the Australian continent, and the first to give it its present name. (...) He surveyed the entire south coast from Cape Leeuwin to Bass Strait, the east coast, and the Gulf of Carpentaria. (...) His account is one of the great works of Australian discovery." (Hill). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXII.
- Lacks title-pages, prelim. pages and p.217-236, and probably some maps; contents trifle foxed. Bindings chafed along extremities.
= Part(?) of the Picturesque Atlas of Australasia. This copy contains the following maps, in order of appearance: in vol. 1 "Outline Map of Oceania", "A Survey of the Settlement in New South Wales New Holland", "General map of New South Wales", "Map of New South Wales showing Average Annual Rainfall", "Map of New South Wales showing Stock Routes (...)", "Map of New South Wales showing Territorial Divisions", "General Map of Victoria", "Map of Victoria showing Average Annual Rainfall", "General Map of Queensland", "Railway, Postal & Telegraph Map of Queensland" (separately publ. map, 1888, w. accomp. index), and in vol. 2 "South Australia" and "Northern Territory of South Australia". Cf. Phillips 5319; Ferguson 9829g. A fine pictorial survey of the Australasian part of the world, dealing i.a. with aboriginals and local flora and fauna.
AND 1 other on Australia: COMTE DE BEAUVOIR, Voyage autour du monde. Australie (Paris, 1874, 9th ed., vol. 1 (of ?) only, fold. col. lithogr. maps, woodengr. plates, contemp. hcl., sm. 8vo).