2238 - 2489 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Occas. yellowed/ sl. browned and foxed (incl. title); title-p. and htitle wormholed in inner margin; some offsetting from plates to opposite page. Covers worn along extremities.
= Blackmer collection 804; Abbey, Travel 376; Hilmy I, p.298. Contains i.a. a panoramic view of Jerusalem and a view of Mount Sinai.
- Lacks 11 plates and the portrait; remaining plates partly sl. frayed and sl. browned/ sl. foxed in margins. Wrappers dam. at spine.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIV.
- Trifle wormholed in blank margin throughout; endpapers sl. worn/ 1x loose. Spine sl. wormholed; spine-ends/ corners worn.
- Trifle foxed; one map w. tear on fold. Binding worn.
Archduke Charles of Austria. Principes de la Stratégie, développés par la relation de la campagne de 1796 en Allemagne. French transl. by Jomini. Brussels, J.B. Petit, 1841, nouv. éd., (4),358,(1)p., 13 fold. tables, later cl. w. mor. letterpiece.
- Heavily foxed/ browned.
AND 1 other.
- A few lvs. at the beginning cut loose and/ or into sections, but apparently complete; occas. creased and foxed/ browned; lower margin waterst. throughout; upper hinge weak. Binding worn and chafed along edges.
= Not in Pohler.
- Contents loose(ning). Frontwr. sl. duststained and sm. portion lacking; spine worn/ splitting and pasted over w. sellotape. Nevertheless a good copy.
- One plate cut short; sl. yellowed.
= Rare tactical guidebook by General Van der Meere (1797-1880) for the Belgian army.
- One prelim. textleaf and verso of final plate browned. A few superficial scratches/ worn spots portfolio.
= The first photographic accurate reproduction of Mongol script and, by its rendering of these inscriptions in 6 other languages, important for the furthering of the study and comparison of Mongol script as well as Mongol history. Cordier, Bibl. Sinica 683-684.
- Sl. foxed.
- Upper hinge weak; (sl.) foxed. Spine-ends and corners worn.
= Attractive views of Amsterdam, Stockholm, London and St. Petersburg.
- A few lvs. w. contemp. ms. annots. in blank margins; sl. yellowed. Spine dam.; corners showing.
Malling, O. Gedächtnissrede über Joachim Michael Geüss (...). Ibid., S. Popp, 1787, 54p., engr. frontisp. w. silhouette portrait, contemp. blindst. calf.
- Sl. yellowed. Spine dam.; binding worn along extremities.
AND 2 others in 3 vols., i.a. K.V.v.Bonstetten's Briefe an Friederike Brun. Ed. F. von Matthisson (Frankfurt a.M., 1829, 2 vols., engr. frontisp., facs. plate, orig. wr. (frayed)).
- New endpapers; libr. stamps on htitle and title-p. of both parts; partly sl. mouldy and fingersoiled in lower outer corner. Binding sl. soiled; backstrip restored (some parts lacking); rebound a bit too tight.
= Rare Dutch translation of Nicholas' Narrative of a Voyage to New Zealand (first publ. London, 1817). Cf. Ferguson 690 and Hocken p.37f: "(...) An admirable account of early New Zealand and the natives, also of the introduction of Christianity and civilization into New Zealand under Mr. Marsden."
- Vol. I, part II frontcover sl. stained, otherwise fine.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Paper over covers worn; leather over corners chafed; backstrip sl. rubbed.
- Occas. sl. foxed; vol. I w. 1 plate loose; vol. IV w. frontisp. and title loose. Spine-ends trifle chipped; upper joint of vol. IV sl. worn at top.
= Including the rare supplement vol. Navari 1817 and Blackmer sale 1512. Nice views of i.a. Damascus, Gaza, Jaffa, Jerusalem, Hebron, Sidon.
- Library stamp, ticket and annot. on title-p.; trifle yellowed.
- A few scattered library/ cancellation stamps. All vols. w. sm. shelf tickets on spine.
= Constantine VII was Byzantine Emperor from 913 to 959.
- Sm. bookseller's ticket on upper pastedown; occas. trifle foxed. Remains of paper (tickets) on spine; corners showing.AND 11 others in 12 vols., i.a. R. TÖPFFER, Premiers voyages en Zigzag ou excursions d'un pensionnat en vacances (Paris, 1874, 6th ed., woodengr. plates and ills., contemp. gilt hmor., a.e.g., 4to); J.L. BELIN, Le Simplon et l'Italie septentrionale (ibid., n.d. (±1845), steelengr. plates, contemp. gilt hmor., a.e.g. All plates w. blue ballpoint manuscript title; sl. foxed); L. GODARD, L'Espagne, moeurs et paysages histoire et monuments (Tours, 1865, 2nd ed., woodengr. plates, contemp. gilt blindst. cl., a.e.g.); M. LOIR, Gloires et souvenirs maritimes (Paris, 1895, col. plates, orig. gilt cl., a.e.g., 4to. A few lvs. loose; yellowed).
- Lacks 1 plate. Booklet sl. creased. Lacks one tie; spine dam.; corners showing.
= Anti-Soviet propaganda portfolio. The plates show the Russian nation suffering under a tirannical regime.