5839 - 6022 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
= Skillful drawings, the ones without grey wash having the appearance of engravings.
- Blank margins trifle creased and soiled.
Anonymous (18th cent.). (Country road with two figures passing underneath a partly ruinous city(?) gate). Oval drawing, pen and ink and grey wash, 9x12 cm.
- Sl. foxed; a few vague folds.
= Title taken from printed clipping laid down on mount below watercolour. Clipping dates the drawing "1770?". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIX.
- Two tiny brown spots. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIX.
- Shoulder section cut off.
AND 4 other drawings, 18th-19th cent., i.a. a sketch of two children.
- One drawing w. brown stain in lower part; other drawing w. sm. brown stains.
= On verso first drawing two drawings of male nudes.
- Verso partly browned/ gluestains, occas. shining through.
AND 3 other anonymous small/ medium 18th cent. marine drawings.
- Trimmed somewhat irregularly in left margin; some sm. grey stains in sail area.
= Nice, detailed drawing, the cannons ready to fire.
AND a late 18th/ early 19th cent. pencil drawing showing ships on a broad river (14,5x20 cm.).
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XC.
- Multiple tiny holes in lower part; one sm. tear in middle; tear in left margin repaired; sl. foxed.
AND 1 other.
- Sl. foxed; remnants of tape on verso.
- Trifle spotted.
AND 2 other anonymous drawings, both 2nd half 18th cent., one showing a man seated near a walled garden (charcoal and watercolour, 15x16,5 cm.), the other showing a small chapel in a wooded area (grey and red pencil, 9,5x12,5 cm.).
- A few tiny/ sm. stains; sm. tear in upper margin.
= Nice drawing in the style of Nicolaas Berchem. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XC.
- Vaguely waterst.; a few sm. wormholes. = Nice, sl. naive drawing.
= Drawings in slightly Rembrandtesque style.
AND 8 other sm. drawings, on wove paper.
- Trifle spotted.
= Nice view with a village, two people hauling in a rowing boat and a moored three-master. Location identified on passepartout.
- Sl. rubbed in lower and right margin.
- A few rubbed spots in upper part.