5839 - 6022 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Yellowed; some worn spots along edges. Frame dam.
- Lacks tiny portion from upper left blank corner; foxed/ (sl.) browned.
= Probably a study for a painting with the same subject by the same: Vertumnus, in the guise of an old woman, wooing Pomona (cf. RKD Images 41948). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CV.
- Foxed. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CIV.
- Margins cut sl. irregularly, touching the image in the left margin. Otherwise fine.
= Scheen p.365: "Snabilie (Snabilé), Maria Geertruyd; geb. Haarlem 1776, overl. Haarlem 7 februari 1838. Schilderes van bloemen en vruchtenstillevens. Huwde 3 april 1796 ter plaatse met Pieter Barbiers Bzn." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CV.
- A few foxed spots.
= Titled (vaguely) in old hand in pen and ink on verso.
- Trifle/ sl. foxed.
= Preparatory drawings for the illustrations to two books by C.W.H. van der Post: Piet Uijs of lyding en stryd van die voortrekkers in Natal and its sequel Ignas Prinsloo. Een verhaal uit den tijd der Voortrekkers in Natal (both Amst./ Pretoria, 1900), with stories from the Boer War. With annots. in pencil on verso concerning dimensions of the illustrations. A few lvs. w. heraldic blindstamp "Bristol L.M." in corner. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CV.
AND 3 small drawings by the same for another work (not concerning the Boer War).
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVII.
- Small stain in water below the mill shining through from verso; sm. dam. spot in outer left margin. Otherwise fine.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVI.
AND 1 other drawing of the same gate (a 19th cent. copy in pen and ink and grey wash, after the print by W. NIEUWHOFF. Tear in lower margin of image; sl. yellowed).
= Hendrik Albert van Trigt, well known historical painter, friend of A. Scheffer.
- A few sm. brown stains; vertical and horizontal fold.
= On paper with 'LVG' watermark. Laurentius 765b: "Lubbert van Gerrevink", dated 1696.
- Three sm. holes on folds and 1 in upper right corner; horizontal fold and 3 vertical folds.
= Nice drawing showing i.a. the title-p. of Groot ABC boek (Enkhuizen, 1758), a compass card, calligraphed leaves and pages from mathematical works. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVI.
- Tiny tear in right edge. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CIV.
= Drawing of a slave market in Louisiana, taken out of an album of sketches and drawings for his sister, dated 1852.
- Lower right corner w. closed tear (sl. affecting the image).
= Attractive watercolour from the collection of J. Thesmar, with his collector's mark in lower outer corner (Lugt L.1544a). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CVII.
- Sl. foxed; upper outer margin stained and w. sm. closed tear; all margins strengthened on verso.