5839 - 6022 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Incl. several child's drawings in pencil. Partly foxed/ sl. browned.
- A few drawings loose. Album rubbed/ worn.
= Contains drawings by various artists, but apart from a few monogrammed drawings, all anonymous. The monogrammed drawings are the following: two drawings by monogrammist "BB" (possibly Bartholomeus Barbiers (1740-1806), (A man in a rowing boat at a portage (Overtoom)) (brush and grey wash, 21,5x15,5 cm.) and (Two men in a rowing boar near a bridge) (brush and grey wash, 21,5x15,5 cm.); two drawings by monogrammist C.I.V.L. (unidentified): (A grazing cow) (black crayon and grey wash, 12x21,3 cm.) and (A cow standing at the edge of a lake) (black crayon and grey wash, 14,5x21,5 cm.); a series of 20 anonymous watercolour sketches in one hand (mostly interior scenes, varius sizes) and a drawing in the style of M. MARIS (Barren landscape with Sancho Panza and Don Quixote travelling past an imposing castle) (black crayon, 15,3x21,5 cm.). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Small dog ear in lower right corner of drawing.
= Nice view of the city from just outside the ramparts, with a city gate in the foreground.
AND 2 anonymous 19th cent. drawings: a watercolour showing a farmstead and an angler (a few sm. marginal tears) and a drawing showing a classical Greek soldier reclining on his bed with a naked woman in his arms (pen and brown ink and grey wash, skillfully drawn).
- Sl. yellowed; surface chafed in lower outer margin; pinhole in centre upper margin.
AND a pencil drawing (1st half 20th cent., signature unread).
- Sl. yellowed/ soiled. = (Detailed) sketches.
- Sl. browned due to former passepartout; one foxed spot.
= Title supplied on former passepartout, together w. annot. "Elève de Delaroche". Etching-like drawing.
- Laid down on prob. contemp. mount, which is tipped onto a later board mount. Otherwise a fine and attractive view.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Some dustsoiling along edges, from former passepartout.
= Cf. Poort 1909.02, a painting with a very similar composition. Perhaps a study. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCII.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE C.
- Three vertical folds; sl. yellowed; unobtrusive waterst.
AND 1 other contemp. drawing of a Dutch landscape with a mill.
- Varnish yellowed; craquelure all over. = Probably Apollo killing the python.
- Mounted, sl. browned, dam. spot and sm. tear in lower margin.
AND a small anonymous 19th(?) cent. drawing of resting sheep and cows (pen and ink and brown wash. Doubled and w. dam. spots).
- Laid down on board w. a few marginal closed tears; sl. soiled. = Dutch school.
AND 3 other drawings, all first half 19th cent., i.a. a still life showing a violin, a drum and a military cap.
- Trifle foxed/ stained; owner's(?) blindstamp in lower blank corner; sm. pinhole in each blank corner.
= Funny outcome of a serious duel between monkeys dressed as humans. Annot. "no 9, 1 page" on verso in blue pencil. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CI.