2341 - 2618 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Atlas vol. only; maps occas. waterst. in outer margins; occas. w. foxed spots. Joints sl. rubbed; chafed spot on backcover.
= Very rare edition of this survey on the Napoleonic invasion of Spain. With maps of the surroundings of i.a. Burgos, San Sebastian, Saragossa, Tarragona and Valencia.
- All plates foxed in varying degrees. Bindings trifle worn along extremities.
= One more vol. (on Granada) was published. The Landscape Annual for 1836-1838.
- Foxed, mostly in margins (not affecting the plates). Backstrip restored; corners rubbed.
= Tobler p.161ff; Gay 3671 (both listing German editions).
The life & explorations of dr. Livingstone. London, Adam & Co., n.d. (±1874), 324p., lithogr. map and num. plates, orig. pict. cl., a.e.g.
- First quires loosening.
AND 2 others, i.a. (H. ASTBURY LEVESON), The forestand the field (ibid., 1879, woodengr. frontisp., 7 plates, contemp. gilt and pict. cl. Spine-ends sl. dam.).
- First free endpaper loosening; upper hinge weak; sl. yellowed, contents otherwise fine.
= Cf. Lipperheide Ma9; Tiele 1065; Landwehr, Dutch books with col. plates 447/448. "The first treatise on geographical anthropology" (Landwehr). A German translated was published 1805-1809. The fine plates, all depicting ethnic types, are engraved by L. Portman after Jacques Kuyper. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- Lacks plate no. 15; all lvs. sl. browned; most plates trifle/ sl. soiled; 1 plate cut short; 1 leaf w. sm. hole; 1 leaf w. repaired tear in lower blank margin. Top of spine sl. sunned.
= Van Doorne/ Van Kempen 2487; Rouffaer/ Muller I, p.632; not in Sabin. Rare account by an ex-civil servant who did not agree with the Dutch policy concerning Surinam, which got him into trouble with the authorities. The plates were used earlier for P.J. Benoit, Voyage à Surinam (1839)/ Scènes de la vie Américaine, description de la Guyane Hollandaise (1858). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- Without the 2nd vol.; bookblock split after first quire; occas. waterst. Spine rubbed.
= Van Doorne/ Van Kempen 6454; Tiele 1046 note. Abridged Dutch translation of Narrative, of a five years' expedition, against the Revolted Negroes of Surinam (London, 1796).
- Sl. foxed (last ±10 lvs. worse) and yellowed; upper hinge weak. Top of spine chipped; foot of spine sl. dam.; upper joint split at top.
= Cat. des Russica 3171.
- Owner's entry on htitle; sm. tear at inner margin of 2 fold. maps. Backstrip rubbed/ worn.
AND 2 others, i.a. L. BOUSSENARD, Les étrangleurs de Bengale (...) (Paris, n.d. (±1890), woodengr. ills. by CLÉRICE, orig. gilt pict. cl., a.e.g., large 8vo. Sl. foxed; annots. on verso first free endpaper and htitle; foot of spine worn).
= Comprises: I. Atlas Isaak de Graaf; II. Java en Madoera; III. Indische Archipel en Oceanië; IV. Ceylon; V. Afrika; VI. Voor-Indië, Perzië, Arabisch Schiereiland; VII. Oost-Azië, Birma tot Japan. Text in Dutch and English.
- A few plates sl. foxed; some plates sl. dampstained in margins; plate vol. w. new endpapers; upper hinge text vol. split; text vol. sl. browned. Plate vol. rebacked w. use of old backstrip and new mor. letterpiece.
= Plate vol. on Asia and Africa; text vol. on America and Australia. Lipperheide Ad16.
- Fine set.
= Complete run containing a mass of detailed information on every aspect of the 1900 World Exhibition. Rare.
= Beiträge zur Kommunikationsgeschichte (ed. B. Sösemann), Band 28.
AND 1 other: S.F. KELLERHOFF, "Mein Kampf". Die Karriere eines deutschen Buches (Stuttg., 2015, 2nd ed., orig. boards w. dustwr.).
- Hinges weak. = Contains mainly photographic material from occupied Poland.
AND 1 other.