1212 - 1327 INDONESIA. BOOKS, MAPS, PLANS AND VIEWS, PAINTINGS, DRAWINGS, PHOTOGRAPHS
- The first partly yellowed; the second w. ballpoint scribblings in upper captions and touching address line.
= Feith 78b and 78f.
- Tiny repaired spot in sky area.
= Cf. Feith 78a I (state before I? The address "presentement chés Lacgaussée (...)" not present).
= Attractive slightly naive drawing of the Yogyakarta water palace.
- Yellowed. = Haks/ Maris p.51. With an extensive signed dedication to J.W. Teillers in pencil below image.
AND 2 etchings by JAN POORTENAAR and E. GERDES, both with dedication to J.W. Teillers and his wife.
= J.W. Teillers was a lithographer in the service of the Dutch government and a member of the Nederlandsch-Indische Kunstkring and guided various artists who resided or visited the Dutch Indies, i.a. Isaac Israels, Chris Lebeau and Jan Poortenaar.
= Artist identified in pencil on verso. With pencil annotation on verso stating the subject of the watercolour (in Dutch) as the story of how the monkeys and the goats decided to work the land together. The clever goats offered to do the tilling of the paddy, and the monkeys would do the harvesting. The goats however ate all the leaves of the plants, which as a result didn't flower and produced no fruit, thus leaving the monkeys emptihanded.
- Sl. dustsoiled (outer margins somewhat worse); 4 drawings w. some rubbed spots; occas. sm. tears in margins. A few figures in the drawings identified in (vague) pencil.
= Five drawings w. annot. in pen and ink in lower (1x upper) blank margin, reading: Perkerdjaan Kt. Gedjer dari Bedoeloe Harga ƒ 2 [1x ƒ "1]" [Work by Ketut Gedjer from Bedulu. Price ƒ 2]. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVI.
- Pieces of paper tape in blank corners. Title and "II Sioeara, Badoeng" in modern pencil on (simple) paper passepartout.
= Provenance: the Bateson and Mead Collection. Verso w. sm. annot. in Balinese script, dated "27/3/37", numb. "101'" and (within in a circle) "184" in pencil. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVII.
= With "Eil. Ternate" on verso in contemp. pencil.
- Some trifle rubbed spots.
- Lower blank margin waterst. and a few sm. waterstains in image.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXV.
= J.W. Teillers, trained as a graphic artist, was appointed in 1899 as head lithographer at the lithography department of Topographische Dienst in Weltevreden, Dutch Indies, in 1916 became head of the reproduction department. He was a member and later secretary of the Nederlandsch-Indische Kunstkring. He made various illustrations and worked i.a. on a publication on Wajang puppets. In 1923 he returned to the Netherlands.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVII.
= Perhaps used for an illustration. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVII.
- First lvs. incl. (title-p.) vol. 2 sl. creased and frayed; one plate w. sm. tear; occas. (sl.) foxed. Backcover vol. 2 partly sl. mouldy. Neatly rebound.
= Bastin/ Brommer p.46 and 204-207; Buur, Persoonlijke documenten 323. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVIII.