4978 - 5172 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Trifle yellowed; remnants of former tipping-in on verso and some thin spots in righthand margin.
= Attractive view. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
= Provenance: J.Q. van Regteren Altena (with his collector's mark on verso, Lugt 4617). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- Repaired tear in lower margin; a few browned spots; central vertical fold.
AND a similar pencil drawing by the same.
- Upper right corner restored; trifle creased in lower corners.
= A drawing after a painting probably made in 1841, the year in which Holland was afflicted by cholera, which explains the pall bearers visible in the background. The original painting was also used for a contemp. tile design and for the children's book by P. Louwerse, Versch geplukt, vertellingen voor het jonge volkje.
AND 3 others: drawings by C. BEGAS, (Scribe sharpening his quill in candlelight) (oval drawing, brush and grey wash, tipped onto mount) and E. RENSBURG, "Papiermolen 't Horsje - Velp" (pencil and watercolour, signed and titled) and an etching and aquatint by H. CASSIERS, (Dutch village scene) (34,5x45,5 cm., signed in the plate).
- Partly foxed, mainly in upper margin.
AND 1 etching by the same.
- Foxed; w. sl. soiled vertical fold in centre.
AND 2 other pencil drawings, probably by another artist.
- Margins sl. yellowed.
- Mounted on board.
- Varnish sl. yellowed.
- Cracquelé, with 2 tiny dam. spots.
= Manuscript ticket on verso identifying the scene and mentioning details visible, i.a. "Molens: "De Hoop", Kerkuil, Bruinvis, Ned. Herv. Kerk, noord. Eerste boot in de Zaan Raderboot Prins van Oranje. Voorgrond, 2 kaaspakhuizen, thans Kruiver. Koopmanshuis, Thans Kool en Schilp (...)".
- Frame w. woodworm holes, but charming nevertheless. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVII.