4978 - 5172 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
= Unidentified collector's mark on recto (Lugt 521a) and collector's mark of J.Q. van Regteren Altena on verso (Lugt 4617).
- Yellowed; some worn spots along edges. Frame dam.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Vertical central fold and diagonal crease.
= Possibly by Schirmer, with attribution in pencil on verso. Schirmer painted a view of this Italian city with the 3 towers from a different point of view, slighty further away (Lempertz Auktion, 2010, auction 969, lot no.1248).
AND 4 other landscape drawings.
- The first view some brown stains in sky portion. Second view a small stain and a small tear in left blank margin.
= A very attractive pair of uniformly created watercolours, showing Havezate Nijenhuis near Diepenheim. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
= Portrait of the later colonel S.J. von Huguenin (1827-1888), a renowned horse riding instructor, during his final year as cadet at the Dutch military academy.
- Faded; sl. soiled in margins (especially in right hand). With annotation in ballpoint on verso identifying the artist as "Sinibalo Scorza".
= Nice drawing with, in the centre of the image, a circular emblematic vignette surrounded by a snake, showing a seated Cupid waiting for a bird to fly into the bird trap hanging from a tree. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIII.
- Drawing probably trimmed and laid down on later paper.
= The etching after this drawing was published in the series "Liber Studiorum, A Series of Sketches and Studies" (1838), with various small differences. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CIX.
- Mounted and yellowed along margins.
= Unidentified collector's stamp in lower blank margin. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
- Right edge w. clumsy restoration.
= Nice trompe-l'oeil with 9 leaves on a plate (2 drawings, 5 calligraphed leaves (1x dated ("1790") and 2 leaves w. scores). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
AND a nice small-size trompe-l'oeil signed "Henri Wormss Chir. Stud." (probably from an album amicorum).
- Vaguely visible old central fold. Otherwise fine.
= Nice trompe l'oeil with i.a. a central anthropomorphic landscape, a leaf with part of a poem by D.R. KAMPHUYZEN and an alphabet in the form of letters jumbled together on a stone slab. Probably by Elbertus Diderik Waller, by whom we sold a calligraphy in our auction 61, lot no. 2298. SEE ILLLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
= On paper with part of a Strasburg bend watermark.
- Formerly folded (flattened). Nice view on paper w. crowned lily watermark. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- Trifle yellowed; remnants of former tipping-in sl. shining through in right margin on recto.
= Attractive view. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.