2640 - 3410 OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- First part w. a few lvs. vaguely waterst. in blank outer margin; bookblock loosening.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 335.
- Lacks 12 fold. views (supplied in stained facs.); annot. on htitle. Binding sl. worn/ rubbed.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 335.
ADDED: 2 others.
- Contemp. owner's entry on first free endpaper; 1 title loose(ning); last ±10 lvs. sl. waterst. at upper inner margin. Foot of spine sl. dam; covers sl. chafed; spine rubbed.
= Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 334.
- One plate loosening. Nevertheless a fine copy.
= Landwehr, R. de Hooghe as bookill. 9 (listing the first ed. 1671); Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 7 (note).
AND 1 other.
- Hinges weak; contemp. owner's entry on title-p., all plates sl. thumbed and 10 plates w. sm. waterstains in blank margins. Covers w. sm. stains.
= Rare early edition. Comprises several plates of ornaments and 3 designs for a church by S. Bosboom. "It proved a handy work for masons, carpenters and architects with little theoretical inclination and was reprinted time and again until the early nineteenth century, not only in Dutch but translated into English and German as well." (Kuyper p. 225-226 (listing this edition as the 1st ed.)). Fowler 54 (listing this edition as the 2nd ed.); Kat. Orn. Sammlung Berlin 2222; Fuhring 2863ff. Cf. BAL, Early Printed Books 1478-1840, no.331. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLV.
- Lacks at least the engr. title and plate 56. Some plates frayed in upper margin, sl. affecting image; some scattered sm. (water)stains; some sl. soiling/ foxing. Loose in quires, sold w.a.f.
= Bierens de Haan 511 (ed. 1682 w. 44 plates); cf. Fowler 54, calling for a plate no.7 and plates 12-56 but at the same time calling for 48 plates in total, and not mentioning engr. ills. Also mentioning in the note an undated edition of "1680?" with an extra quire A(5) of 5 lvs. and 'plates' (ills.) A-E, bound between plates 54 and 55, which is also present in the present copy (incl. an ill. numb. "Fol: 55"). The present copy contains the following: p.3-4 Nieujaers-gifte; p.5-6 Tot Den Discreten Leeser; p.7 Tot alle nijdige, en vuyl-spreeckende Lasteraers; p.8-9 Lof-Dicht; verso p.9 a narrow engr. ill., unnumb.; p.10 text and engr. ill. "Tafel van de Vyf Colommen"; p.11 text; numbered plates 12-16 and 18 (versos blank); page w. text titled "Leert perfect u Frontispisen soo rondt als recht maecken" and ill. numb. "17"; numb. plates 19-30, versos blank, no.30 double-p.; p.30 w. text on recto and on verso "Crollen"; numb. plates 31-55; loose quire A(5) w. 6 engr. ills.
AND another defective copy of the same work, containing plates 12-50 (incl. plate/ ill. 17, lacking plate and textleaf 30 and plates 25, 49 and 51-56, with the extra quire A(5), the 6 ills. numb. A-F. Marginal defects/ staining). - AND 6 loose engr. double-p. plates by B. STOPENDAAL after J.B. KRAMER showing plans/ elevations of Borg Nittersum (w. small defects). - ADDED: 14 studies in perspective of geometrical figures/ architectural forms (pen and ink on light blue laid paper, watermark w. a bunch of grapes and "P C B L").
- Sl. foxed. Backstrip worn/ sl. dam.
= Work on the rammed earth construction in architecture, intersected with a treatise on a "Nouvelle maniere d'éteindre les incendies" (exstinguishing fires).
- Last 40 lvs. (vaguely) waterst. in blank margins; htitle sl. soiled and w. restored tear.
= The first Dutch edition of this classic by the French engraver and draughtsman Sébastien Le Clerc (1637-1714). The plates depicting the orders, their application and plates showing doors, windows, niches, balustrades etc. Cf. Kunst op schrift, 1030/ 1031 (variant address).
- Wormholed (between 3 and 5 wormholes throughout the book); first half of text sl. waterstained in upper right quarter; plates occas. sl. fingersoiled in lower blank corner. Frontcover sl. spotted. Otherwise fine.
= Fuhring 11477-11557; New Holstein 363-435 and 44-49, 54-55; cf. Millard III, 62; Fowler 433 (under J. Vredemann de Vries). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLV.
- Some lvs. waterstained in lower outer corner, otherwise contents fine. Vellum (sl.) soiled.
= Erratic copy, cf. Fowler 295. Our copy contains: Boek 1 and 2, 1661, 5 woodcut plates; Boek 3, Deel 1, w. title-p. Het Voorbeelt Der Algemeene Bouwkonst (...) Het Derde Boeck, In't Eerste Deel, 1658, (6),219-352p., woodcut title-vignette and 28 woodcut plates (all in-text, 2x double-p.); Boek 4 and 5, 1661, w. title-p. Bouwkonstige Platen, Van 't Vierde en Vyfde Boeck; Waar van de Beschryvingen In haare eigene Tale zelfs verlooren zijn, 8 woodcut plates (1x double-p.); Boek 6, Deel 2, w. title-p. Het Voorbeelt Der Algemeene Bouw-konst (...) Het Seste Boeck, In't Tweede Deel (2), 1661 (dated in colophon p.116), 2nd ed., (6),1-116p., w. after the preface engr. title ("L'Idea della Architettura Universale (...). Grontregulen der Bow-const, ofte, de Uytnementheyt vande Vyf Orders der Architectura", also dated 1661), 43 engr. plates (1x double-p.); Boek 7 and 8, n.d., w. (divis.) title-p. Bouwkonstige Platen, Van 't Sevende en Achtste Boeck; Handelende van de Messelkonst, En van Houte Bruggen over snelloopende Rivieren, 3 woodcut plates.
- (Sl.) browned/ soiled/ waterst., also affecting the plates; some plates (carefully) strengthened w. tape. Covers sl. soiled/ stained.
= Very rare complete copy, containing more platen than most copies we could trace. Not in Fowler. Comprises i.a. "Beschrijvinge van de vijf colommen, uyt Palladio" and "beschrijvingen van de vijf colommen, uyt Vinjola". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLV.
- Pastedowns/ title-p./ 1st leaf loose; waterst. in lower and upper blank margin. Binding worn/ dam.
= Shows a great number of views, sections, groundplans and details of various types of buildings.
- Lacks 21 plates; partly sl. yellowed. = Cf. Cicognara 3559; Kat. Orn. Berl. 4212.
- As usual without the small 4to textbooklet. Plates trifle foxed/ soiled, mainly along middle fold; some plates loose. Binding dam., covers loose and lacking backstrip.
= Bierens de Haan 4839A; Kat. Orn. Berlin 2253. Fine plates of staircases, including highly decorated banisters and skylights.
- Old owner's entry of H. Muijderman (dated 1853) on first free endpaper; textlvs. sl. wormholed in upper inner margin; textlvs. of both parts; sl. waterst. in blank outer margin; upper hinge weak. Top of spine dam.; paper over boards of both covers sl./ partly worn off; spine chafed; worn along extremities.
= The finest Dutch book on the construction of bridges and sluices. The final 6 plates concern "De nieuwe duyker sluys tot Lutje Schardam, of anders genaamt den Horn". Bierens de Haan 4836. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVI.
- Sl. foxed/ waterst./ (finger-)soiled throughout. Wrappers dam. along extremities.
= Rare, entirely engraved edition, with several nice rococo-ornaments. Not in Kat. Orn. Berlin, Fowler or Cohen/ De Ricci.
- Lacking htitle(?) and possibly lacking one plate. The two plates bound in the text-part waterstained (mainly blank margins); the plates bound behind trifle yellowed/ foxed and w a few sm. marginal defects; verso plate XXVII (containing text to plate XXVIII) also w. some contemp. ms. annots. Binding (sl.) worn.
= Rare edition. Of the two copies in JAP one containing 30 plates and one 31 plates. Not in Fowler.
AND 1 other: (L. VAN HEUSDEN), Handleiding tot de burgerlijke bouwkunde. Uitgegeven door de Maatschappij: Tot nut van 't algemeen (Amst., 1833, 33 engr. ills. on 17 fold. plates, contemp. plain wr.).
- Fold. plan restored in inner margin w. paper and 2 weak spots on folds repaired/ strengthened w. tape; sl. foxed/ fingersoiled; 2 quires loosening; upper pastedown partly dam. Covers sl. soiled/ stained.
= Attractive plates of places in or near Rozendaal Castle, i.a. "De Agter Vyver van Rozendael van Boven te zien uyt het Kabinet naer 't Huys", "De Nieuwe Grott van Rozendael van Vooren met de Hartshoofden by de Vis Vyver" and "Gesigt van den Dicken Tooren of over de geheelen Tuyn na de Stadt Arnhem". Gouda Quint p.198f; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 237. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXLVI.
- Vol. 2 trifle/ sl. waterst. in upper margin. Top of spine of vol. 1 chipped; covers and corners of both vols. rubbed/ chafed.
= Landwehr, Romeyn de Hooghe as book illustrator 93 (1 portrait less); Van Someren I, p.242. Fine portraits of i.a. Menno Simons, David Joris, Martinus Luther, Theodorus Sutor and Paracelsus. A third volume was published in 1729.
- Upper hinge broken. Binding worn along extremities; spine-ends chipped. Otherwise a fine, large paper copy.
= Dealing with the relation between anatomy and the arts of drawing, painting and sculpture. Kunst op Schrift 1344; Graesse II, p.29.