2187 - 2522 NATURAL HISTORY, HUNTING AND FALCONRY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANS
- Trifle foxed; partly w. very vague waterstain in lower blank margin/ corner. Silk trifle/ sl. soiled/ foxed/ stained.
= Very fine plates. Not in Nissen or Pritzel. Very rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Year 1904 lacks the chromolithogr. plates; sl. frayed and brittle. = Not in Nissen. Nice plates.
- Contemp. annots. in pen and ink throughout and some underling; occas. sl. foxed and stained; a few lvs. sl. browned; last ±19 text lvs. trifle waterst. in lower outer corner. Joints, corners and both covers (crudely) restored; backcover w. some offsetting.
= From the library of E.H. Krelage, with his bookplate on upper pastedown. Landwehr, VOC 589; Nissen, BBI 369; Wellcome I, 1512; Pritzel 1760; Hunt 182; DSB 2 p.120f; Lindeboom p.347f; Bibl. Osleriana 2327. Book I-IV are works by Clusius; book VII-X are translations by Clusius of works by G. de Orta, C. Acosta and N. Monardes. The last part is Clusius' Latin translation of P. Belon's work "Les observations de plusieurs singularitez et choses memorables trouvées en Grèce, Asie, Judée, Egypte, Arabie et autres pays étrangèrs" (1553). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Plates trifle foxed; textlvs. (sl.) foxed. Binding sl. rubbed along extremities.
= Not in Nissen or Pritzel. Nice plates, nice binding.
AND 2 others: "B.R.", Le langage emblématiques des fleurs (...) (Paris, n.d. (±1870), lithogr. frontisp., 7 handcol. lithogr. plates, woodcut ills., modern cl. w. orig. frontwr. laid down, sm. 8vo) and L.-A. MARTIN, Nouveau Langage des Fleurs, ou Parterre de Flore (...) (Brussels, 1832, handcol. lithogr. frontisp. and 17 (of 18) handcol. plates, modern hmor., sm. 8vo. Lacks 1 plate).
- Pagination occas. erratic, but complete. New endpapers; some lvs. remargined; a few contemp. annots. in pen and ink, i.a. numb. in corners; old owner's entry on first free endpaper; occas. sl. stained; sl. soiled/ foxed, mostly in corners and margins. Binding sl. worn along extremities.
= The very rare first edition. "'Cruijdeboeck' is not a translation of Fuchs' work. However Dodonaeus obtained the use of wood-blocks which had been employed in the octavo edition of Fuchs' work. To these a number of new engravings were added" (Arber p.82). Nissen, BBI 509; Pritzel 2344 ("Editio princeps rarissima"); Arber p.272; Henrey I, p.8f and p.32f; DSB 4, p.139; Lindeboom p.454; Garrison/ Morton 1812; Hunt I, 67 and 68 (note); Bibl. Osleriana 2475 (note). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Very fine copy, with the following minor defects: first 9 (extra bound with) blank lvs. sl. waterst. in outer margin; 2 text lvs. sl. stained in blank inner margins; a few lvs. w. sm. stains in blank outer margin; most lvs. numb. in old pen in upper outer corner; occas. contemp. underlining in old pen and ink; 2 (extra bound with) final blank lvs. w. extensive sl. later. manuscript recipes. Binding w. a few sm. restorations, i.a. at foot of lower joint and upper outer corner of back cover; foot of spine chipped; gilt on spine rubbed.
= Extremely rare CONTEMP. HANDCOLOURED copy (from the library of F.W.T. Hunger) extra illustrated with 2 lvs. from: L. FUCHS, New Kreüterbuch, in welchem nit allein die gantz histori (...) (Basel, 1543): the title-p. (w. full-p. woodcut portrait of Leonhart Fuchs on verso) and 1 leaf w. a full-p. woodcut of "Traubenkraut" and 3 woodcut portraits of the illustrators on verso. "This [Cruijdeboeck] was a national hebrarium devoted to species indigenous to the Flemish provinces. The merit of this book was that rather than proceeding by alphabetical order, as Fuchs had done, Dodoens grouped the plants according to their properties and their reciprocal affinities." (DSB 4, p.138f). Nissen BBI 512; Pritzel 2345; cf. Arber p.272; Henrey I, p.8f and p.32f; Garrison/ Morton 1812; DSB 4, p.139; Lindeboom p.454; Bibl. Osleriana 2475 (note). "He [Dodonaeus] helped to forward the growing interest in classification which had begun to be evident as early as 1539 in Bock's Neu Kreuterbuch" (Hunt 67). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Sm. bookplate on upper pastedown. = Facsimile reprint of the edition Antwerp, Jan van der Loe, (1552-)1554.
- Lacks 1 preliminary leaf; engr. title cut short and w. owner's stamp; most lvs. partly waterst.; occas. sl. mouldy; thumbed; a few corners torn; 8 lvs. at the end (partly) remargined. Joints split; worn along extremities.
= Second Dutch ed. of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Hunger sale 209; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Bookplate tipped on verso first free endpaper; old owner's entry on title-p.; lower hinge weak; both pastedowns w. a sm. dam. spot; occas. trifle soiled/ stained. Lacks ties; covers sl. stained/ soiled.
= First edition of Dodoens' study of ornamental and fragrant plants and flowers, one of the earliest treatises on 'garden flowers'. The work describes many of the recently introduced plants and flowers from Asia Minor, bulbous plants in particular, that were transforming European gardens. Nissen, BBI 514; Pritzel 2347; Hunt 101; Durling 1174; Voet 1097; Wellcome I, 1819. A beautiful pocket herbal. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Remnants of bookplate on upper pastedown; upper hinge weak; old owner's entry on title-p. ("Antonii van den bogaerde", dated 1725); all ills. w. old. annot. in pen and ink; 2 lvs. sl. stained; occas. trifle fingersoiled in blank outer margins; ±15 textlvs. vaguely waterst. in blank lower inner corner. Binding sl soiled and w. a few stains.
= Extremely rare HANDCOLOURED COPY. "First edition (?). Nissen and Meerbeeck list an edition of 1565 which is not noted elswhere" (Hunt I, 96). In this work Dodonaeus describes wheat, legumes, marsh- and waterplants. A few of these plants were already described in his first botanical work Frugum historia (1552) and in Cruijdeboeck (1554). But this new copy is more extensive than the previous. Pritzel 2346; Durling 1176; DSB 4, p.138f; cf. Bibliotheca Osleriana 2474 (ed. Antw., 1569) and Nissen BBI, 513 (ed. Antw., 1565). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE C.
- First ±80p. trifle waterst. in blank outer margin; sm. contemp. annots. on lower pastedown. Joints and raised bands trifle rubbed.
= Nissen, BBI 510. Cf. Henrey I, 110; Bibl. Walleriana 11497; DSB 4, p. 139. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIX.
- Lacks 5 leaves; final free endpaper loose; occas. (sl.) foxed/ soiled/ stained; first two illustrated leaves w. contemp. annots. in pen and ink in margins. Sm. dam. spot in lower margin backcover.
= Nissen, BBI 670; Pritzl 3140 (note). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE C.
- Occas. yellowed (a few plates sl. browned/ frayed); one plate sm. repaired tear in outer blank margin. Binding rubbed/ sl. frayed along extremities.
= Nissen, BBI 673n. The first edition. Popular work reaching its 8th edition in 1896.
AND 1 other: C. HOFFMANN, Botanischer Bilder-Atlas (...) (Stuttg., (1896), 2nd ed., chromo-lithogr. plates, woodengr. ills., modern hmor. w. part of contemp. mor. backstrip pres., orig. frontwr. of 1 instalment pres., folio).
BOUND WITH: Idem. Catalogus arborum, fruticum ac plantarum tam indigenarum, quam exoticarum. Ibid., idem, 1599, (4),22p., woodcut title-vignette, large woodcut coat of arms on verso title-p.
- Vol. 1 waterstained at the beginning and partly in upper inner corner; vol. 2 waterstained in lower outer blank margin (incl. binding); both vols. occas. yellowed; fold. plate sl. cut short in upper margin (sl. affecting image); occas. sm. wormholes in inner blank margin. Bindings sl. rubbed.
= Nissen, BBI 705 ("Eine Neuausgabe der anonymen "Histoire des plantes de l'Europe (...) rangée suivant (...) Pinax de Gaspard Bauhin". Lyon 1683").
- Possibly lacking a lithogr. title (but perhaps supplied with the new edition only). Some usual yellowing/ foxing (most plates sl. yellowed only); vol. 2 partly w. waterstain in lower outer corner, occas. vaguely affecting image; a few plates cut short, sl. affecting image. Bindings rubbed along extremities.
= Published in instalments, the numbers 97 and 98 not called for in the contents. Nos. 99 and 100 are general tables (w. handcol. ills.) of the Linnaean classification of the vegetable kingdom. Not in Nissen or Pritzel.
- Plates trifle/ sl. smudged in blank margins (occas. near image); owner's stamp on title-p. and verso of some plates; owner's entry on title-p. ("Mary Todd Nov.br 30th 1833"). Binding worn along extremities.
= Beautiful plates. Blunt p.219.
- Contents occas. yellowed/ foxed, but mainly the textlvs; plates generally in fine condition; a few fold. plates sm. tear at intersection of folds; a few plates trifle cut short. Bindings rubbed and w. occas. surface dam. (top layer of leather chafed off, mainly on covers and much less on spines).
= Splendidly illustrated. Nissen, BBI 2254; Pritzel 5203; Plesch 445. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIX.
- Two plates browned; textlvs. waterstained/ -wrinkled. Binding rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities.
= Gumuchian 3159. Rare.
- Trifle yellowed; some scattered foxed specks; htitle foxed; owner's entry on title-p. and htitle. Binding worn/ frayed along extremities.
= Nissen, BBI 992; not in Pritzel. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CI.