2187 - 2522 NATURAL HISTORY, HUNTING AND FALCONRY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANS
- Hinges weak; occas. sl. dampst./ waterst. in blank margins; owner's entry on upper pastedown. Covers soiled.
= Rare copy comprising 5 parts of this charming work with extensive illustrations on gardening and garden architecture, (veterinary) medicine, distillery, beekeeping and cooking: "Het Vermakelyk Land-Leven": "Den Nederlantsen Hovenier (...)", "Den Verstandigen Hovenier (...)", "De Medicyn-Winkel of ervaren Huys-Houder (...)", "Den Naerstigen Byen-Houder (...)" and "De Verstandige Kok of Sorgvuldige Huyshoudster (...)". Engraved titles of the first two parts are dated 1696 although the titlepages are dated 1721 and 1711. Although the pagination of the fourth volume is (2),41-53,(3)p. and the pagination of the fifth volume is (4),61-88p. the works are complete. (Landwehr 19,2). Fourth volume: Landwehr 19,15. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- A few sl. dam. specimens. Otherwise very fine.
= The collection was gathered between 1948 and 1950 in north eastern India. Every single butterfly is identified and a reference to Evan, The identification of Indian butterflies was added. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
- First free endpaper lacking sm. part of upper right corner; stamp on first blank, endpapers partly browned. Binding worn along extremities.
= Bierens de Haan 2933. "Wynroeykunde" or "peilkunde" is the stereometric science to calculate the content of wine casks.
- Bindings heavily chafed and rubbed.
AND 1 other: PETIT DICTIONNAIRE DES INVENTIONS (Paris, 1820, contemp. calf, 12mo).
- Contents trifle foxed; owner's entry on title-p.; bookblock loose. Binding loosely covered in cloth; backstrip loose.
= Not in Nissen or Pritzel.
AND 2 others: L. FIGUIER, La terre avant le déluge (Paris, 1863, 2nd ed., handcol. lithogr. frontisp. diagram, handcol. lithogr. maps, woodengr. plates/ ills., contemp. hmor.) and H.S. OSBORN, A Practical Manual of Minerals, Mines, and Mining (...) (Philadelphia/ London, 1895, 35 plates, orig. blindst. cl.).
- Lacks one portrait. Corners sl. rubbed, otherwise fine.
= The two parts in the fifth volume, issued with a different title (Algemeene natuurlijke historie (...)), are intended as the 5th and 6th vol. of the Katechismus der natuur. Landwehr, Col. Plates Books 120. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
- One quire in part II misbound; both vols. libr. stamp on first free endpaper; both vols. sl. waterstained in top margin of first few leaves. Traces of ticket at foot of spines; bindings sl. rubbed along extremities.
WITH 1 other in 3 vols.: J.F. MARTINET, Katechismus der natuur. Vol. 1, 3 and 4 (Amst., 1778-1779, 3 (of 4) vols., 27 (fold.) (handcol.) engr. plates (incl. frontispieces), contemp. unif. giltlettered hroan. Lacks vol.2; a few leaves yellowed).
- Trifle foxed; folded once; frayed in margins (2x within the table); creased in lower margin, affecting table.
= Rare calculator table for merchants, with various examples below how the table works, i.a. "Als men voor 3 stuivers heeft een Boek Papier hoe veel boeken zal men dan hebben voor 1 Gulden 19 stuivers? Neffens 3 zoekt 1 Guld: 19 stuiv. waar boven staat tusschen AA. 13 Boeken tot Antw.".
- Partly sl. yellowed and fingersoiled. Spine darkened.
= Bierens de Haan 5302 (publ. widow Loots-Mans, sl. diff. collation); Muller 771 (ed. 1641); De Vries 499 and Versnel 989 (both ed. 1644); Philip, A bibliography of firework books W070.6 (publ. widow Theunis Jacobsz., sl. diff. collation); the last part deals i.a. with fireworks.
- Sl. yellowed and foxed; bookplate and owner's entry on first free endpaper.
= The first edition by Klaas Bosch. Buijnsters 420. Other eds.: Muller 1042-1045; De Vries 486-488; Waller 202-203; The Children's World of Learning 2178-2185.
- Without vol. 1; extensive contemp. annotations and calculations throughout; sl. browned; hinges broken; first 4 lvs. w. sm. dam. spot in lower blank margin. Bound with 47 blank lvs. w. extensive contemp. calculations in pen and ink.
= Buijnsters 464.
- Lacks htitle and leaf B (p.17/18) and B8 (p.31/32); contents w. minor imperfections. Binding rubbed/ sl. worn.
= On various subjects, such as the workings of clockworks, thermometers, mirrors, fireworks, De Vries 499; Versnel 989; Bierens de Haan 5302; Philip, Bibl. of Firework Books W070.3 (part III deals i.a. with fireworks). Translation with additions and corrections of J. Levrechon, Récréations mathématiques (1624).
- Jars (sl.) soiled; lining w. some dust. Cabinet fine, but front door lock not in perfect working order.
- Jars sl. soiled. Boxes w. a few dam. spots and sl. soiled. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVII.
- Case and instruments w. sm. signs of wear.
= Extensive cabinet w. num. dental instruments i.a. 22 sets of porcelain dental prosthesis samples by "Bonartic diatorics", "Orbis anatom. diatorics", "Pellucor", "Wienand Söhne & Co", "Vivodent Ivoclar", "Aurora vitype"; 13 jars, 7 toothpaste and pill boxes; 63 dental instruments by i.a. "Clev Dent" and 2 small saws; dental burs by i.a. "Zenith", "De Treys" and "Kornet"; a set of metal crowns; and 4 small dropback boxes with i.a. tools for golden crowns. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVI.
- Tubular w. sm. signs of wear. Case w. a few chafed spots.
= Case with 7 drawers w. various instruments i.a. 2 sets of porcelain dental prosthesis samples, 13 different dental forceps by "Hiele", tampon plugger by "Efco", 12 toothpaste and pill boxes, 12 instruments by "C. Ash and sons" and 14 other instruments and a small saw.
- Lacks 1 test tube, but cap is pres. Box sl. stained/ soiled.
= Comprises 59 different (chemical) substances, all listed on a printed index mounted in inside upper lid. Drawer comprises glass microscope slides and cover slips.
- Jars sl. soiled. Cabinet very fine.
= Very nice apothecary cabinet w. large filled jars, each w. title-ticket. Set comprises also a sm. brass balance, 2 sm. board dropback boxes of "Pharmacie Eug. Goossens (...) Liège", 2 tubes of "Vaselin Pure" in orig. package, an orig. package of "Utermöhlen's Engelsch Pluksel" and a printed list of contents mounted on inside upper lid.
= Nice showcase. Probably used to view x-rays or as a optometrist view board.
- Lacks two instruments. Two corners trifle dam.
= Edelmann & Sohn (1863) started as a company specialised in electrical machines and made products for electrical engineering. Max Th. Edelmann became interested in medical applications and doctor Friedrich Bezold inspired him by the discovery that deaf people still have some hearing. To proof that, Edelmann developed a very precise, adjustable medical tuning fork to measure and produce very high frequencies.