1805 - 1980 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Both vols. waterst. in lower margin. Backstrips worn.
= Hayn/ Gotendorf III, p.524; Gay/ Lemonnyer III, p.1335.
- Etching by Renouard loose. Corners and spine-ends sl. worn.
= Published on occasion of the visit by Czar Nicolas II and Czarina Alexandra to France in 1896.
Le Tsar et la Tsarine en France. Hommage au Tsar. Preface F. Coppée. Paris, Anc. Maison Quantin, n.d. (±1900), 230,(6)p., num. (col.) plates and ills., orig. gilt cl., t.e.g.
- Contents loosening. Frontcover sl. stained; corners and spine-ends sl. worn.
- Occas. trifle foxed. Trifle worn along extremities.
- The map foxed and creased; the plates sl. yellowed and foxed; one plate loosening; contemp. dedication on first free endpaper. Binding sl. stained; spine-ends rubbed.
= Cf. Cat. (...) des Russica 821 (ed. London, 1844).
- Occas. trifle foxed; all vols. owner's entry on first free endpaper. Bindings sl. rubbed; vol. 2 number piece worn off.
= Cat. (...) des Russica 356.
- All vols. w. bookplate on upper pastedown. All vols. 1 mor. letterpiece dam.; vol. 7 upper joint splitting.
= Cioranescu 40101.
- Some lvs. w. waterstain in upper inner corner; some underlining in blue pencil.
= Rare. Cat. des Russica P789.
- Lacks the final plate; engr. title-p. browned; one plate loose; most plates w. vague waterstain in lower corner touching the image; lacks first free endpaper; lower hinges split. Binding sl. worn along extremities and duststained; bookblock shaken. Sold w.a.f.
= Heath's picturesque annual for 1836. Cat. (...) des Russica 1210.
- Scattered library stamps; portrait sl. waterstained in upper margin. Backstrips worn off; both vols. covers rubbed and w. mounted paper ticket at top of spine.
= Not in the usual reference works. Rare.
Rumpf, J.D.F. Karakterschets en kort overzigt der regeringswijze van Alexander den 1., keizer van Rusland. Naar het Hoogduitsch. Zutphen, H.C.A. Thieme, 1815, (2),II,196p., contemp. boards.
- Lacks the portrait. Spine worn/ dam.
= Cat. (...) des Russica 1545. Rare Dutch translation of Rumpf's Alexander I. Kaiser von Russland (Berlin, 1814).
- New endpapers; maps strengthened, but one loosening; first 4 lvs. vol. 1 sl. fingersoiled; a few lvs. trifle foxed; 1 textleaf w. large tear in blank outer margin.
= Bengesco 1365; Cat. des Russica 472. After the publication of L'histoire le Charles XIII in 1731, Voltaire was designated by J. Schouvaloff to write about Peter the Great. Voltaire did not wait for instructions from J. Schouvaloff and the Russian Court, but immediately started to work on his book and had written 8 chapters before the instructions reached him. The first uncorrected version was published with errata leaf just before the corrected edition was issued. This is the edition with the errata leaf.
- Both vols. narrow blank strip at top of title-p. cut off and replaced by blank paper; first vol. owner's entry on contents page; upper pastedowns w. cancellation stamp; hinges showing. Spine-ends sl. rubbed.
Kennan, G. Leven en lijden der ballingen in Siberië. Dutch adapt. F.J. van Uildriks. Haarlem, H.D. Tjeenk Willink, 1892, 1st Dutch ed., 2 vols., XII,VIII,434; VIII,523p., over 200 (woodengr.) maps/ ills., later unif. cl. w. orig. wr. laid down.
- Both vols. lack one prelim. leaf (prob. a blank); upper pastedowns w. cancellation stamp. Covers sl. stained.
AND 1 other similar.
- Waterstained copy; upper hinge broken. Without the accompanying atlas, but complete in itself.
= Gay 2821; not in Kainbacher. Extremely rare.
- Sm. bookseller's ticket on upper pastedown of 2nd vol.; occas. trifle foxed. Joints and corner trifle rubbed; spine-ends chipped.
- Very fine copy.
- Trifle yellowed and foxed. Bindings sl. rubbed. A good/ fine set. = Russell p.189.
- Joints and spine-ends rubbed; 2 vols. joints splitting.
- Wrappers sl. worn/ frayed and occas. loose(ning).
= Contains num. corrections, deletions and additions in manuscript and w. mounted strips of paper, probably for a new printing. Joseph Bloch (1871-1936) was editor-in-chief of the Sozialistische Monatshefte.
- Lacks vol. 4-6. Partly sl. waterstained.